shape
carat
color
clarity

custom made setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
i know that alot of you have had settings made for your diamonds and I was just wondering if I could get some advice.

I know what i want for a setting and i have a few pictures to illustrate what I desire to whomever will be making the setting. my question is, how do i go about finding the person to make the setting?

Do many people buy the stone and the setting from the same person or seperate? if the same, which has higher priority? Would you find someone who can make the setting and then ask them to call in gems for you, or do you wait till you find the gem that you want and then talk about settings?

I am finding it hard to look for a stone because I am unsure what percentage of my budget will need to be allocated for the setting. Is there a place where one can go to get average setting prices or is it usually a company by company basis kind of thing. Is it common for a person to contact a number of potential makers and ask for a price quote on a design?

Sorry for all the questions. As it is probably obvious, this will be my first diamond purchase/setting design =)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might start by taking note of settings I like, and is there some consistency in the designer. If not then just keep on collecting photos, identify what you like and do not like with each picture. I do not know where you live or what is avaiable, or your budget, but Leon Mege is amazing and I have yet to see one of his rings that is not great. I have heard he can be tough to work with, but not all people here have had that experience, so who knows? He is a master though, check out his site and see, his stuff if just drool worthy beyond measure.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
You may not feel like reading all of this, but if you do, it may answer some of the questions that I also had when I was picking out a setting.

It seems like you''re overwhelmed and maybe trying to tackle too many things at once.

Here''s what I did:

I. Finding a diamond

1. Did a ton of research on styles of rings I liked. Keep them in mind, because you may want to call the jeweler for a quote before you buy your actual diamond.

2. I went to a local jewelry store to see what cut and size stone I liked on my finger (ask them for their measurements of the stones you liked on your finger and write them down). Try not to get involved too much with the sales people, it''s a hassle to do this, but it really helps you narrow down your choices once you see them on your hand. Also, look on GoodOldGold.com, they have tons of other diamond cut options if you happen to want a fancier cut that most other stores don''t sell. Being able to find the size of stone you''re more comfortable with, in my opinion, is an easy way of figuring out how to allocate your budget to your setting.

3. Hopped on pricescope and looked for prices regarding the sizes of stones I liked.

4. Found a vendor that had diamonds with similar characteristics.. I reviewed the clarity and color issues when I went to the vendor. I saw what colors i liked best and then found a diamond that was eye clean, and then narrowed down my choices.

5. I posted my decision on pricescope, awaited responses, and I slept on it.

6. I bought the diamond, and took it to my jeweler.

II. Finding a Jeweler

Pricescope has a large amount of reputable and trusted jewlers on their website. Look through the designers and see if there''s one you like. There should be around 60 designers on this page: https://www.pricescope.com/designers.aspx

It is very common for people to contact the company when they''re interested in a quote. It may take several days, and it''s not an exact quote, however it''s something you can at least work with in the meantime.

If you feel more comfortable taking your diamond to a Brick and Mortar store, you can always do a search for the town you live in on here...maybe someone can give you a recommendation.

To answer your questions:

how do i go about finding the person to make the setting?

Find the style of jewelry you like best. Some people like antique styles, some like modern, some like tension settings.. etc.. Most jewelers have a few styles they enjoy making and are great at fabricating. Find the jeweler that best represents your expectations of what your engagement ring should look like.

Do many people buy the stone and the setting from the same person or seperate?

Yes, many people buy the stone and setting from the same person, but you can easily buy the diamond you want on pricescope and save some extra money. Jewelers won''t force you to buy a diamond from them, if they do, i''d walk away. I don''t really think there''s a priority level to buy a diamond from the jeweler. There sometimes can be incentives, like lifetime guarantees, lifetime cleanings, lifetime upgrades... etc.

Would you find someone who can make the setting and then ask them to call in gems for you, or do you wait till you find the gem that you want and then talk about settings?

You can do it anyway you like. If you already know what size and cut stone you want, it may be easier to decide on a setting. For example, If you decide on getting a 4 carat radiant cut on a size 4 finger, then you''re going to have to consider there are limitations to what kind of setting can be practical for the size of stone. If I were you, I would find a cut and I liked, and find a setting to accomodate the stone.

The jewelers can call stones in for you if you wish. Their prices may not be as good as pricescope. You could always compare.

I am finding it hard to look for a stone because I am unsure what percentage of my budget will need to be allocated for the setting.

Like I said before, I personally think it''s important you find a size stone you''re like first. Being able to find a setting that accomodates it will be made much easier later.

Is there a place where one can go to get average setting prices or is it usually a company by company basis kind of thing.

I''m not really sure what you''re asking, because there are so many settings out there it''s nearly impossible to have just one place that sells them all. Most jewelry stores (Brick and mortar buildings), will have huge markups so getting an accurate price can be difficult there. It''s very possible to find online stores that have settings at a much more reasonable price. There are a few websites that offer a variety of settings at very reasonable prices, but I''m not sure exactly what you''re looking for. http://www.stuller.com and http://www.questjewelers.com/ offer a variety of settings you can choose from. Any B&M usually has these in a catalog and they can give you a price on them. Also, independent jewelers or jewelry makers can access these settings. It''s a large catalog.

Is it common for a person to contact a number of potential makers and ask for a price quote on a design?

Yes, it''s common. Don''t feel like you''re attatched to them just because you call for a price or try to get a quote for a custom design. There are other vendors you may like better. Get multiple quotes.

Like I said before, this is what I did to buy my diamond. It was really hassle free, and really lessened my stress level. I hope this helps for you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well... a few of us a getting to be quite good at helping people with settings... why don''t you post your ideas... and we''ll see if we can A) find you a similar existing setting that pershaps you can tweak a bit to suit you... or B) suggest someone for you to call for a qoute. If it''s something we''ve seen something similar to, we might even be aqble to give you a ballpark idea of what you can expect to pay.

Always willing ot help another setting seeker.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2007 12:53:24 AM
Author:Gwyn
i know that alot of you have had settings made for your diamonds and I was just wondering if I could get some advice.

I know what i want for a setting and i have a few pictures to illustrate what I desire to whomever will be making the setting. my question is, how do i go about finding the person to make the setting?

Shop around. Look on Pricescope and also ask your friends. Preferably find vendors that are highly reputable and you know that not only can you trust them (after all ... you are leaving a valuable diamond with them) but has exceptional before/after customer service care.

GoodOldGold, Mark Morrell etc... to name a few. Try to avoid large chain B&M stores unless you have really researched them well.

Do many people buy the stone and the setting from the same person or seperate? if the same, which has higher priority? Would you find someone who can make the setting and then ask them to call in gems for you, or do you wait till you find the gem that you want and then talk about settings?

It depends on whether the vendor will set a stone purchased from somewhere else. Some boutique stores won''t - e.g. Tiffany. Whereas Cartier will do both - set a loose stone purchased by the customer, or preferably ''call in'' a stone based on the customer specifications.

It also depends on how much control in the process you want. Some choose to purchase their own stone because they want to select an ''ideal'' cut and want to be more selective. Or they may find it at a better price. It is a decision that should be made fairly early on.

I am finding it hard to look for a stone because I am unsure what percentage of my budget will need to be allocated for the setting. Is there a place where one can go to get average setting prices or is it usually a company by company basis kind of thing. Is it common for a person to contact a number of potential makers and ask for a price quote on a design?

Have a look at Whiteflash etc... A simple platinum setting will cost more than a simple white gold setting. So also decide on what material you want. A designer platinum setting will be >$1000-2000US ... a cheaper setting in platinum could be $500US. Definitely ask around! That way you find out if which of your preferred jewellers may set a loose stone not purchased from themselves and also whether they do ''custom design'' work.

Sorry for all the questions. As it is probably obvious, this will be my first diamond purchase/setting design =)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark T at www.engagementringsdirect.com has come up with some gorgeous custom pieces recently and is reasonably priced as far as custom goes. he''s right in NY''s diamond district and I wouldn''t hesitate buying a stone from him for one second.

Jon at Goodoldgold.com is another stone-custom setting place. I''d prefer to get both at the same place if possible..

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Where you go depends on what you like. Pave encrusted, I would contact Leon. Smooth, clean lines, try Mark Morrell. Can you tell us about the setting you want to get?

I got my diamond from an online vendor and than had WF do the custome setting. I am very happy with it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you dead set on going custom? I ask cause I found it much easier to find a setting I liked, a vendor that sold it, and then buy a stone from that vendor. If you search PS on custom settings you''ll see several people have had a long lengthy involved process.

Others have enjoyed going custom and getting exactly what they want. Leon M, and MM, and WF have very good reputations for custom work. Maybe you live near one of them?

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
I know what kind of stone I would like. I would like a Asscher between 1 - 1.5 carats. i know about what range I want the stats for that as well. So far I have a couple stones that i am looking into further. In terms of the setting, it is pretty simple. I want a cathedral trellis like setting (not sure the exact name since its called by different ones on each site). The only change i want to make to the setting is I would llike double claw prongs. SO far I have been unable to find this setting premade (though a reccent thread showed something very similar at Hearts on fire (seduction) that i will check into further. I will post pictures to give an idea what I am referring to.

Here are the prongs i am referring to

Double claw prong.jpg

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
here is what i mean about the setting

Trellis0101 Setting.jpg

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
I think most jewelers have a setting like that, so I guess all I would need to do is ask them what it would cost to get it in platinum with split prongs on top.

Oh I live in los Angeles, CA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results