shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom E-Ring Design - Pics Inside - Comments Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Background:

My girlfriend is petite, slender fingers, size 4.25. We looked at some styles then I took over from there. She thinks she is getting a solitaire round brilliant, F colour, VS2, set in platinum. She doesn''t like pave and neither do I. She likes simple, lines. She doesn''t really like knife-edge bands but she does like thin bands.

The centre diamond is a 1.004 carat round brilliant. Ideal cut (based on Sarin). GIA Ex/Ex, VS2, F. Its a Canadian stone. Being Canadian, gotta support the local economy.

Each side stone is to be a 0.2 carat pear. Approx. 60/60 table/depth. VS1/VS2 and E/F. 1.6 to 1.65 LTW. My jeweller is still looking for a matched pair.

Anyway, I have attached three renderings of my custom design.

My only thought is to lower the shank(?) so the top of the pear bezels are flush with the top edge of the band. I would then have the centre stone lowered slightly as well in proportion.

I would appreciate any comments as its always nice to have a second set of eyes!

keenan''s%20ring%201.jpg

keenan''s%20ring%202.jpg

keenan''s%20ring%203.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
ICAA, you did GREAT! That is going to be a beauty. The pear bezels don''t look TOO much higher than the shank now--but if you don''t like too high-set of a center stone, then I don''t think it would decrease the beauty of the ring to lower all three slightly. It''s going to be a stunner!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
ICAA,
What a beautiful design. I would lower the side stones and center just a bit. It''s going to gorgeous!! Good job!
36.gif
36.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful design- sleek and classy. I like it the way it is, but think that lowering the stones a bit would look great. When lowering the stones, you might want to consider whether or not a wedding band can sit next to the e-ring... just a thought.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful. I''ve always love bezel-set pear side stones. The height looks good, but I think they can come down a tad if it would look better to you. I''m looking forward to seeing the finished ring and hand shots!

DiamondLil

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Very clean and modern. Sounds like something she would like if she wants clean lines. I like it. You would most likely need a custom wedding band to curve around the side detailing. Just something to consider.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Your design looks amazing!!! I agree RE lowering the stones a bit into the shank. Would make the ring flow more, but not reduce light flow beneath stones significantly.

My only suggestion would to perhaps expand your pear criteria to include SI1 and maybe SI2 stones as well. Since your jeweler is looking for quality stones for you and you''ll presumably get to inspect them yourself while they''re loose, you might be able to find a size-matched pair of pears (LOL! couldn''t resist!) quicker if you expand your clarity criteria. My pear is .375 G SI2, and it''s icy white and completely eye-clean! Just my $0.02!! Good luck with your search!!! The ring is going to be incredible!!
1.gif

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 6:53:22 PM
Author: JCJD
Your design looks amazing!!! I agree RE lowering the stones a bit into the shank. Would make the ring flow more, but not reduce light flow beneath stones significantly.

My only suggestion would to perhaps expand your pear criteria to include SI1 and maybe SI2 stones as well. Since your jeweler is looking for quality stones for you and you''ll presumably get to inspect them yourself while they''re loose, you might be able to find a size-matched pair of pears (LOL! couldn''t resist!) quicker if you expand your clarity criteria. My pear is .375 G SI2, and it''s icy white and completely eye-clean! Just my $0.02!! Good luck with your search!!! The ring is going to be incredible!!
1.gif
Fortunately, I started this process way in advance and am willing to wait for the ring to come together. I don''t even have a particular date set out yet to propose! The other advantage of starting early is that I can pay off the ring over time, not that it is the plan. As I mentioned, I have the centre stone already. I am willing to wait for pears that are consistent with the centre stone. The centre stone is phenomenal - a 9.2 on the Isee2 machine. Its just my picky nature.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 6:25:45 PM
Author: NyssaLynne
Very clean and modern. Sounds like something she would like if she wants clean lines. I like it. You would most likely need a custom wedding band to curve around the side detailing. Just something to consider.
Thanks for the comments. A custom band wouldn''t bother me - I will definitely keep that in mind when it comes time to get the bands. I would hate to be waiting for a custom band while the date gets too close for comfort!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful idea, really !
9.gif

How about setting the center stone in a bezel as well... especially since you want it lower ? I would vote to lower it anyway to get the girdle of the round just above the ends of the pears' bezels. This would also spread the stone nearly all the way accross the finger - something quite desirable, I would think. Anyway, it is all a matter of taste.

Here's another ring with bezel set pear sides and prong set center... there aren't too many around (since the bezels are always custom work), but this one seems particularly well constructed. The size of the stones does not match yours (the center is half a carat, the pears .2 carats each), but I definitely like the way the sides touch the band - hence the post
4.gif

BOring.JPG

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its a beautifull modern type ring, i would prong the pears to complement the center

just my personall taste...

but whatever you do, enjoy...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... just trying...
38.gif

LowR.JPG

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/30/2005 10
6.gif
4:15 AM
Author: DiaGem
Its a beautifull modern type ring, i would prong the pears to complement the center

just my personall taste...

but whatever you do, enjoy...
I prefer the bezel sidestones but I do appreciate the comments. Thanks!

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/30/2005 9:44:50 AM
Author: valeria101
Wonderful idea, really !
9.gif

How about setting the center stone in a bezel as well... especially since you want it lower ? I would vote to lower it anyway to get the girdle of the round just above the ends of the pears'' bezels. This would also spread the stone nearly all the way accross the finger - something quite desirable, I would think. Anyway, it is all a matter of taste.

Here''s another ring with bezel set pear sides and prong set center... there aren''t too many around (since the bezels are always custom work), but this one seems particularly well constructed. The size of the stones does not match yours (the center is half a carat, the pears .2 carats each), but I definitely like the way the sides touch the band - hence the post
4.gif
I prefer the centre stone to be pronged. It feels more open and prominent. I like the idea of lowering the centre stone slightly ...

Thanks for the picture. Its nice to have some other examples to compare to! My design was a combination of styles that I had seen over time.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
6.gif
6.gif
7 AM
... just trying...
38.gif
Thanks! I tried to do that but I have no graphic art skills so I had to do it in paint.
40.gif

Let just say that is was alright but certainly not as nice as yours!
1.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
6.gif
7 AM
... just trying...
38.gif
YES -- this "new" lowered version is PERFECT!
Love how you combined the bezel set pears with the prong set center stone. This is really a fabulous take on the three-stone design. It is really the best combination between contemporary and classic I''ve seen.
I know she will appreciate it being set lower as well, as it is just more wearer-friendly, yet still make an incredible statement.

gellibelly

Rough_Rock
i like the lower setting much better

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that. BUT I would lower all three stones 1-2 mm. That''s GORGEOUS

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/30/2005 7:59:59 PM
Author: ame
I love that. BUT I would lower all three stones 1-2 mm. That's GORGEOUS
I was afraid lowering the stones might hurt the aesthetics but based on popular opinion here, my concerns were unwarranted.

A couple other things on my hit list are:

1) To see if the pear bezels can be thinned out a little (side profile) so they aren't so deep.

2) Ensure the edges on the band are rounded slightly to smooth them out. I think the rendering makes them look more angular than they will be but I want to make sure the jeweller knows. No point assuming with something this important!

I think that is all I have on my hit list for now!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I really like the angular look of the design and the thickness of the bezels. Perhaps you could ask the jeweller for a rendering that is to scale. This would let you know just how everthing will look once finished. Perhaps the bezels only look thick because the picture is so large in comparison to the final product.

You have done a great job with this design. It''s really beautiful and I love it''s modern look.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Quote "I like the idea of lowering the centre stone slightly ..."

Me too!
21.gif

I think most women end up prefering a lower set stone as it's just so much easy to live with and it doesn't compromise the design at all either. I also vote that you stay with the prong set centre and bezel set pears. The centre stone will be pretty well protected if it's set lower and maybe an all-bezel setting could look a bit heavy.

It's so nice to see a guy that takes this much interest in the ring - right from the design stage of the setting to the choosing of the diamonds. She's one lucky lady.
36.gif

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2005 6
6.gif
9:55 AM
Author: Bagpuss

Quote ''I like the idea of lowering the centre stone slightly ...''

Me too!
21.gif

I think most women end up prefering a lower set stone as it''s just so much easy to live with and it doesn''t compromise the design at all either. I also vote that you stay with the prong set centre and bezel set pears. The centre stone will be pretty well protected if it''s set lower and maybe an all-bezel setting could look a bit heavy.

It''s so nice to see a guy that takes this much interest in the ring - right from the design stage of the setting to the choosing of the diamonds. She''s one lucky lady.
36.gif

I am not a huge fan of centre stone bezels and neither is my girlfriend. So, that makes that decision easy.
21.gif

I think lowering the stones would help make it more practical ... that seems to be the general concensus here. She works in an office typing, writing, shuffling papers and all that normal office-type job stuff so its not essential that it be super practical (like a medical field worker) but nonetheless, that is still important to keep in mind.

I am going to see the jeweller tonight. Maybe they can turn the rendering around quite quickly!

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 6:23
6.gif
3 PM
Author: diamondlil
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished ring and hand shots!

DiamondLil
I will definitely be able to take finished product shots but the hand shots might have to be of it on my pinkie! Unfortunately I don't think my girlfriend will pose for hand shots! For some reason, I don't think it will be the same as if shown on her hand. Personally, I think she has lovely hands.
4.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
To add to everyone else''s votes, I also agree the lowered stones are more practical. I don''t think it''s necessary for the bezel of the pears to be flush w/the top of the shank, but it will give it a nice ''smooth'' look I would imagine. You could give the shank a slight ''concave-ish'' knife edge from the edge of the bezel down to get the look w/o matching the heights exactly, if you know what I mean... kinda like this: (but yours would be bezel, of course:
r104-01W.jpg

A side note: IMHO, you *could* bump up the size of the side pears, if you like. I have a three stone w/RB center at .82 ct and pear sides at .25 each, and I really like that ratio. However, since your sides will be bezel set they may look larger? Link to my thread here

Just my opinion, of course, cuz I''m partial to my ring!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2005 4:58
6.gif
5 PM
Author: flopkins
To add to everyone else''s votes, I also agree the lowered stones are more practical. I don''t think it''s necessary for the bezel of the pears to be flush w/the top of the shank, but it will give it a nice ''smooth'' look I would imagine. You could give the shank a slight ''concave-ish'' knife edge from the edge of the bezel down to get the look w/o matching the heights exactly, if you know what I mean... kinda like this: (but yours would be bezel, of course:
r104-01W.jpg

A side note: IMHO, you *could* bump up the size of the side pears, if you like. I have a three stone w/RB center at .82 ct and pear sides at .25 each, and I really like that ratio. However, since your sides will be bezel set they may look larger? Link to my thread here

Just my opinion, of course, cuz I''m partial to my ring!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
I wanted the band to be rounded over a bit, perhaps being flush with the shanks isn''t essential.

If I might ask, what size is your ring? I am concerned that pears too large will make the spread larger than her finger is wide.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
ICAA- my ring sizeis 4.5, so very similar to your girlfriends. check out the hand pics on the thread I linked to in my previous post. In my opinion, the spread is very good, I would say about 80-90% of my finger width. Your center stone will be a bit larger, but I don''t think it would be a problem though, we''re talking millimeters here!

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
WOW.

I''m very picky on what I like and don''t like. and I''ve always been a die hard fan of round cut diamonds on a solitaire setting.

However, that ring is the most unique and prettiest one I''ve ever seen. It looks gorgeous. Personally I''m a fan of leaving it the way it is. From the side it looks better but like most everyone else said, lower is more practical.

I''m saving that ring to my ering folder. I already have mine but yours is just so awesome I''m gonna want to keep looking at it.

Whoever gets that ring is very lucky.

Congrats and you have great taste.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2005 7
6.gif
2:30 PM
Author: Deputy74
WOW.

I''m very picky on what I like and don''t like. and I''ve always been a die hard fan of round cut diamonds on a solitaire setting.

However, that ring is the most unique and prettiest one I''ve ever seen. It looks gorgeous. Personally I''m a fan of leaving it the way it is. From the side it looks better but like most everyone else said, lower is more practical.

I''m saving that ring to my ering folder. I already have mine but yours is just so awesome I''m gonna want to keep looking at it.

Whoever gets that ring is very lucky.

Congrats and you have great taste.
I have ALWAYS been a round brilliant solitaire die hard. Yet, after looking at some rings in the stores, I couldn''t find a solitaire that I really liked. My girlfriend likes the cross prong but the round brilliant ones I have seen, they just don''t do it for me. So, I started looking at three stones and after seeing a bunch, I finally took a few pictures to my jeweller and got him to incorporate them into the renderings above. I must say that the initial renderings are quite good. With a little tweaking (based on the image in my mind and comments here) it should be perfect!

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2005 6:11:54 PM
Author: flopkins
ICAA- my ring sizeis 4.5, so very similar to your girlfriends. check out the hand pics on the thread I linked to in my previous post. In my opinion, the spread is very good, I would say about 80-90% of my finger width. Your center stone will be a bit larger, but I don''t think it would be a problem though, we''re talking millimeters here!
Your ring is very nice. So many choices and iterations are possible when you have three stones! Out of curiosity, do you know any of the specs on your pears such as length-to-width ratio, depth, table, etc. I am curious if you get any bowtie effect in your pears.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
ICAA- I''m sorry, I don''t have any specs at all for my pears!
7.gif
To be honest I don''t think the quality of my side stones is anything to brag about, I think the jeweler just selected the most ''economical'' stones for size/matching in terms of the entire set... because I specifically wanted the 3 stones together to look like one large ''bling'' from far away, if that makes any sense.

As for the bowties, I do see a slight bowtie effect, but it''s not obvious, IMO.. in my understanding, the effect is virtually unavoidable with the fancy cuts like pears? Experts can correct me on this!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results