shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom design?

kah42

Shiny_Rock
My BF and I have been looking at engagement ring settings for a few months, but I haven't found anything that I really love. There are certain aspects of rings that I like, I just have yet to find my dream setting. We started talking about doing a custom ring. To do that, do you need to know exactly what you want? Or can you send pictures of things you like and have the actually creative people run with it? For example, I like a few aspects of different David Klass rings -- if I were to contact him and show pictures of things I DO like, without a set vision/inspiration, would he (or someone else) be able to put together some ideas to work towards my actual dream ring? :confused:

I'm basically wondering what the process is like, and how definitive you need to be about your vision at the start of the project.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My BF and I have been looking at engagement ring settings for a few months, but I haven't found anything that I really love. There are certain aspects of rings that I like, I just have yet to find my dream setting. We started talking about doing a custom ring. To do that, do you need to know exactly what you want? Or can you send pictures of things you like and have the actually creative people run with it? For example, I like a few aspects of different David Klass rings -- if I were to contact him and show pictures of things I DO like, without a set vision/inspiration, would he (or someone else) be able to put together some ideas to work towards my actual dream ring? :confused:

I'm basically wondering what the process is like, and how definitive you need to be about your vision at the start of the project.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I've found with DK that you need to be as specific as possible in what you want, although others may have had a different experience than I've had. However, I'm sure there are other designers who would love to have more leeway with their creative visions when creating a piece for someone :)

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
When making my custom ring (still in the process) I knew I wanted rose gold and a pave band. I sent a bunch of inspiration photos and what I liked about each design. In a couple of days they sent me a CAD (computerized drawing/blueprint of the ring) and I picked areas that I wanted them to change. We are now on the 3rd drawing and am waiting to hear back. I'm hoping we finalize it soon! :)

I think you should have a general idea of what you'd like. For example metal type, shape/solitaire/halo/three stone/etc, band thickness. Then you can further refine from there.

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @chanieish and @Wewechew! I know I like delicate bands with a twist/infinity near the center diamond (maybe with milgrain) and some etching or filigree. So maybe I have a bit more of an idea than I initially thought. :think:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more concrete your own vision the better, in general. You can expect to pay more for a designer’s time... A “ring” is more than the sum of its parts - it’s really how those parts flow together, and which parts to keep and which to toss to achieve a given aesthetic. Honestly, IMO, the less sure of what you want you are the more valuable a designer’s time becomes, lest you inadvertently wind up with a very-well-executed Frankenring! ::)

David Klass is not a designer, and is not the right vendor for your job. My strong recommendation based on what you describe in your last post is TGT - I haven’t worked with Liz but I’ve seen her work in-person and admired it, and hope to have an opportunity to work with her soon! I love her eye for curves and fluidity, and she has an excellent bench:
https://thegemstoneproject.com/

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

I am a broken record. Custom work is neither inexpensive or for everyone.

cheers--Sharon

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more concrete your own vision the better, in general. You can expect to pay more for a designer’s time... A “ring” is more than the sum of its parts - it’s really how those parts flow together, and which parts to keep and which to toss to achieve a given aesthetic. Honestly, IMO, the less sure of what you want you are the more valuable a designer’s time becomes, lest you inadvertently wind up with a very-well-executed Frankenring! ::)

David Klass is not a designer, and is not the right vendor for your job. My strong recommendation based on what you describe in your last post is TGT - I haven’t worked with Liz but I’ve seen her work in-person and admired it, and hope to have an opportunity to work with her soon! I love her eye for curves and fluidity, and she has an excellent bench:

Is she open for projects?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher I'm not sure what you mean? A few PSers have had pieces made by TGT, and I certainly haven't heard anything about her not currently accepting new clients, but as always best to contact directly to inquire about specific projects! L was a long-time PSer and staple CS contributor - her pre-trade handle was FrekeChild.

Some PSer TGT projects:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/big-gene-violet-sapphire-in-elle-w-dk-setting.216499/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-04-cuprian-tourmaline-set-in-dk-tgp.218074/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cbi-meets-the-résilient-my-dream-5-stone-ring.240749/
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...n-a-gemstone-project-david-klass-halo.225139/

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kah42-
My experience with DK, with and without TGP (The Gemstone Project) has been good. I wouldn't say DK (as a business, not as a person) has absolutely no design capability to provide ideas/input for you . They just don't have a specific certain style of jewelry they are known for - that you can hand them a few ideas and they translate and execute brilliantly in their signature style.
What is repeated on here is that yes, you do need to be able to 'read' a CAD and micromanage what is on that CAD for DK to produce the outcome you want if you have a definite 'look' you wish to achieve. Which is why you go custom, right? Is custom for everyone, no - but if you understand the risks and can accept them why not?
Another thing that's repeated on here is the offer to post your inspirations and CADS and you will get help. The ones who aren't happy are the ones who are unsure of what they want, or let themselves get talked into something they want, or they don't notice elements that are on the CAD. If you want- I can share progression CADs of my last ring for you to see an example of how it goes.
As yessie said it, its best to contact TGP directly to see if she is accepting work and to what extent. It was on a downsized/limited basis when I contacted her some months back. She is a wonderful go-between for a custom job and DK if you are unsure. And she's got some very pretty designs of her own, too.

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the insight! I looked into TGP, and she really does beautiful work. I'll reach out to her and see if she's taking new projects. It looks like she does some work with DK, does anyone know how that works? Does she do the design and DK the cad and metal work?

Also, does TGP work with diamond center stones?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used DK to design build a custom ring for my girl. The whole story is here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843/

In our case, she had a tough time deciding what she wanted. One day while goofing around, we stopped by a Jared's and she found a setting she loved. I took pictures and sent to DK for a quote. We reached an agreement. They began on CAD's and we tweaked quite a few things to get to a final product.

That was my first experience doing a custom ring, and my girl didn't have input so I was thankful for this community to help me along.

FWIW, my experience was good with DK and I'd recommend them. Having a little vision helps with any project. It sounds like you have an idea of things you like, but not a perfect storm where they are all blended together. DK can help transform those things together.

Anyhow, not sure you're budget but mine wasn't massive and they still worked within the constraints.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGP is a designer. She takes your thoughts and inspirations and comes up with a sketch. After your approval- she send it off to DK for CAD. She may make changes befor you ever see the first CAD, but you will have to approve the final CAD before DK casts and finishes. DK has different 'levels' of finish work available to him. Discuss this with TGP if important to you, or the design.
She uses mostly, if not exclusively DK.
She does all the communication between you and DK. You pay her.
She receives the finished piece before sending it on to you. Mostly, if not all the time.
She does indeed work with diamond center stones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all here:

Apologies for mistyping TheGemstoneProject’s initialism! TGP is correct.

I’m afraid “TGT” is something that comes up frequently at work... so my phone is used to autocorrecting to it and I’m too used to seeing it to catch it in other contexts!

Just to clarify if anyone reading this wasn’t sure ::)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used DK to design build a custom ring for my girl. The whole story is here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843/

In our case, she had a tough time deciding what she wanted. One day while goofing around, we stopped by a Jared's and she found a setting she loved. I took pictures and sent to DK for a quote. We reached an agreement. They began on CAD's and we tweaked quite a few things to get to a final product.

That was my first experience doing a custom ring, and my girl didn't have input so I was thankful for this community to help me along.

FWIW, my experience was good with DK and I'd recommend them. Having a little vision helps with any project. It sounds like you have an idea of things you like, but not a perfect storm where they are all blended together. DK can help transform those things together.

Anyhow, not sure you're budget but mine wasn't massive and they still worked within the constraints.
@sledge This has nothing to do with the topic but I have to tell you I smile every time you say “my girl”..I find it so sweet!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge This has nothing to do with the topic but I have to tell you I smile every time you say “my girl”..I find it so sweet!

Awww, thank you @Mamabean.

I have all sorts of nicknames for her. When she calls I try to answer differently.

Hey gorgeous! Hey beautiful! Is this the girl of my dreams calling me!? I didn't know Angel's had phones!

No rhyme or reason. Just like to "hear" her smile. Oddly enough, it seems odd when I use her real name.

Anyhow. Enough of my cheesiness. Back to your regular scheduled programming. ;)2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have all sorts of nicknames for her. When she calls I try to answer differently.

Hey gorgeous! Hey beautiful! Is this the girl of my dreams calling me!? I didn't know Angel's had phones!

No rhyme or reason. Just like to "hear" her smile. Oddly enough, it seems odd when I use her real name.

Anyhow. Enough of my cheesiness. Back to your regular scheduled programming. ;)2
@sledge I’m going to show this to my husband! He calls me “spouse”! I think “he” thinks it’s cute..:roll2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: @kah42 do you have a particular style/vibe in mind for the ring’s you like? Are they modern, antique/Edwardian, etc? That may help PSers suggest more options for designers/benches. Perhaps if you post a few pics of the rings you like, folks may be familiar with a piece that already combines some of your likes, whereby you may not need to go custom.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge I’m going to show this to my husband! He calls me “spouse”! I think “he” thinks it’s cute..:roll2:

Eek, I'm sorry. I've used this on my girl but it seems fitting with your username..."Hey Hot Mama!". Not that I own it but your husband can start there, lol.

My girl has no kiddos (yet, but plan on making her fat and pregnant, which is true sexiness, after we are married) but she's a dog mom through and through. Even my chocolate lab prefers her I think. Judas! LOL. Anyhow, that makes her smile as she takes great pride in being a dog momma.

She just wore her #dogmomma shirt the other day. :lol-2:

Whatever the nickname, it has to work for the couple. I've used and heard other weird ones that wouldn't be appropriate for certain people.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eek, I'm sorry. I've used this on my girl but it seems fitting with your username..."Hey Hot Mama!". Not that I own it but your husband can start there, lol.

My girl has no kiddos (yet, but plan on making her fat and pregnant, which is true sexiness, after we are married) but she's a dog mom through and through. Even my chocolate lab prefers her I think. Judas! LOL. Anyhow, that makes her smile as she takes great pride in being a dog momma.

She just wore her #dogmomma shirt the other day. :lol-2:

Whatever the nickname, it has to work for the couple. I've used and heard other weird ones that wouldn't be appropriate for certain people.
:lol:

kah42

Shiny_Rock

@sledge you are adorable! Your girl is very lucky
:wavey: @kah42 do you have a particular style/vibe in mind for the ring’s you like? Are they modern, antique/Edwardian, etc? That may help PSers suggest more options for designers/benches. Perhaps if you post a few pics of the rings you like, folks may be familiar with a piece that already combines some of your likes, whereby you may not need to go custom.

Yes! Actually, from what I can see in your avatar, I like your ring, @the_mother_thing!

I like different without being too out there, and I seem to lean towards a vintage look. I also like it to feel delicate and I like shiny. Here are a few that I like but don't love for one reason or another:
https://www.markschneiderdesign.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-engagement-rings/yours-truly-engagement-ring (I like the infinity design, but it seems too heavy)

https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER11750R4W44JJ I love the millgrain work, but it seems a bit too busy. I want the center stone to be the star of the show.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/Mia-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE1D845-4048474/ I want to love this one, but I don't care for the open v's right by the center stone.

http://www.gottlieb-sons.com/bridal/engagement-rings/29428 I like the twist, but I'm actually not a huge fan of pave in person. I also don't like the yellow gold.

And this one seems to be a very different style, but it calls to me. I like the swooping of the bands, but I'm afraid the center stone might sit too low or that it will look too blah in person from the straight on view. https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/the-grymera-six-prong-solitaire

I want to like traditional solitaires, but they just don't make my heart sing. If it helps, he's leaning towards a 1.75-2 ct RB.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kah42 Thank you. I have more pics in this thread if you want to see them.

Where is your s/o getting the diamond? Have you looked at what settings they offer if any? Sometimes it is easier to get both the diamond & setting in one place, as some benches/designers accept outside stones and others do not. Just a point to consider.

I had a couple of G&Co (Gabriel NY) rings I was interested in, but when I went to see them in person, I felt they were too thin/delicate/light for my lifestyle & liking. I wanted something that felt like it would stand the test of time on my finger, so I went with Sholdt who customized their flagship semi-bezel setting for me, and I absolutely LOVE it.

I think @Acinom has or was going to have a VC Grymera setting made (which is GORGEOUS, btw), so I’m tagging her in hopes she may chime in. I doubt any VC ring would look “too blah” in person though, as his work is quite stunning! (Just google image search “Pricescope Victor Canera” to see some of the IRL pics of pieces he’s created for PSers.

I can’t speak to the other two benches or their quality, but perhaps others will. I think you might also be well served to check out David Klass’ Instagram, as he has several rings with similar vibes/styles as the others you’ve posted, so that may yield some good results as well to get a sense for the variety of styles he’s executed.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

David isn't a designer, but Amy Phillips, his partner, is.

I think the reason having a clear vision is best is because otherwise, an ongoing list of CADs and designs from a jeweler might only serve to work as a very slow way of eliminating the things you don't want. This can end up being time consuming for both you and the designer, and frustrating for both.

Just to add, unless something has changed, DKJ and TGP both use DKJ's benches.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kah42 Thank you. I have more pics in this thread if you want to see them.

Where is your s/o getting the diamond? Have you looked at what settings they offer if any? Sometimes it is easier to get both the diamond & setting in one place, as some benches/designers accept outside stones and others do not. Just a point to consider.

I had a couple of G&Co (Gabriel NY) rings I was interested in, but when I went to see them in person, I felt they were too thin/delicate/light for my lifestyle & liking. I wanted something that felt like it would stand the test of time on my finger, so I went with Sholdt who customized their flagship semi-bezel setting for me, and I absolutely LOVE it.

I think @Acinom has or was going to have a VC Grymera setting made (which is GORGEOUS, btw), so I’m tagging her in hopes she may chime in. I doubt any VC ring would look “too blah” in person though, as his work is quite stunning! (Just google image search “Pricescope Victor Canera” to see some of the IRL pics of pieces he’s created for PSers.

I can’t speak to the other two benches or their quality, but perhaps others will. I think you might also be well served to check out David Klass’ Instagram, as he has several rings with similar vibes/styles as the others you’ve posted, so that may yield some good results as well to get a sense for the variety of styles he’s executed.
I believe the real Grymera is really time consuming to produce, so Victor will only work with his own stones for this particular design. Victor has set my large green tourmaline in a setting based on the Grymera with the triple wire shank and beautiful diamond cuffs.
Victor’s craftmanship is so beautiful and refined that it will never feel ‘blah’.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results