shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Custom 2.22ctw scattered DBTY bracelet and my DBTY family

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
PS, I’ve been wishing for a bit of sparkle on the wrist for some time now. The only two wrist-things in my current collection are both solid YG bangles (Cartier JUC and Hermes CDC) and whilst they’ve both served me well, I’ve been dreaming about dusting my wrist with some diamonds.

Inspired by @Tonks 's detailed post on Vivian, I wanted to document my (rather lengthy!) decision making process for this custom DBTY bracelet.

TLDR: after trying on a range of bangles and tennis bracelets (ranging from 3ctw to 30ctw+!), I realised that I value the design elements of negative space and asymmetry, and wanted a bracelet that worked hard for both day and night. The result is an 8-station “scattered” DBTY with a variety of diamond sizes in D-G colour and an asymmetric design. Scroll to the bottom for pics!

I also created some solitaire pieces: a pair of bezel-set studs and a floating bezel-set ring, these used L-M diamonds set in YG.

1. Initial research and finding out my taste

I initially thought I wanted a tennis bracelet that could work for both day and night, and stack with my bangles. I lapped up tennis bracelet SMTBs and took every opportunity to try them on in person.

Here is a compendium of what I tried on: tennis bracelets in traditional round diamonds ranging from 3ctw to 25ctw, mixed cut and step cut diamonds ranging from 7ct to 30ctw+, Georgian and Victorian bangles at 3.5ctw to 9-10ctw.

Trust me when I say that I’ve had fun trying them on, but truthfully none of them felt “right” on my wrist: it didn’t feel like me when the diamonds were all the same size, or when they were softly graduated. It didn’t feel like me when they were a continuous line around my wrist. And most of all, I found tennis bracelets to be quite heavy!

48622B28-4DF9-4466-B628-2253018E8DA4.jpeg

2. Moving away from a “tennis” design

It wasn’t until I saw @LLJsmom 's 6-motif pave VCA and I tried on a VCA 5-motif bracelet that I realised how much I valued the negative space between each station. Plus, the incredible quality of the VCA pave set against WG genuinely made me giddy with delight.

For me, the sections of unadorned chain provides visual interest and draws more attention to each station. Indeed, the WG pave onyx VCA bracelet was so beautiful that I actually brought it home with me - probably the first impulse buy I’ve had with fine jewellery!

However, after getting some great insights and advice from @diamondseeker2006 , @Tonks and @oldcutclubmember on how they wear their VCA, I realised the bracelet wouldn’t work for me.

For one, I am so lazy that I don’t remove my jewellery for sleep, shower or exercise (I call this my SSEx test, hah!). For another, I don’t own or wear enough WG.

So back to VCA it went (cry!) and I thought hard about what I wanted from my first ever diamond bracelet.

I also tried on the most substantial DBTY at Tiffany but found the diamonds (0.18ct each, 1.26ctw) to be too small for my liking.

5CB723CA-8619-4878-82C8-A2434D611134.jpeg
1CE2740B-2C41-47DB-B071-5E3BE18B9E59.jpeg

3. The criteria

To be honest, I should’ve started with the criteria first. However, I think it took time for me to figure out what I wanted from a diamond bracelet.
  1. Laziness: passes my test for sleep, shower and exercise. This means that it must be comfortable but also substantial enough to transition from day to night
  2. Negative space: chain between each motif or station of the bracelet
  3. Visual interest / asymmetry: a mix of sizes or shapes
These criteria pointed me to a custom scattered DBTY design.

4. The design

The easy decisions were:
  • 18k YG - I wear a lot of YG
  • Bezel setting - love the clean, minimalist look of a bezel and that it’s great for klutzy people like me
  • Chain thickness to be 1.2-1.4mm. Didn’t want to go thinner than this (because I’ve had a Louis Vuitton fine bracelet snap off before and disappear whilst running errands)
What was more difficult was:
  • How many diamond stations?
  • How big should each diamond be? What colour should they be?
  • What spacing between each station?
I trawled through PS and the other forum, busting out the calculator for distances between diamonds depending on the number of stations and my wrist size, doodling and cutting out strips of paper to stick around my wrist for visualisation.

In the end, I found that it was too hard to come up with an “ideal” design without certain parameters. So I decided to go diamond hunting first: a range of 0.2-0.5ct diamonds with faceting and angles close to super ideal (but my preference is biased towards fire - so you’ll see a few 35-36.5 degree crown angles). I am less concerned about clarity so as long as it’s eye clean, I’m happy.

You will notice that I bought more diamonds than I needed for the bracelet and some are yellower than others - I was curious about the difference between D and M coloured diamonds in real life, after they had been set; and so these were earmarked for other projects.

2BBE4113-1140-4B01-9718-C0887625E06C.jpeg

Inspired by a few PSers in my research, I decided:
  • I like the look of big and little diamonds juxtaposed, rather than graduated - like @icy_jade 's diamond ‘bubble’ bracelet
  • Uneven spacing between each station provided even more visual interest e.g. Boodles raindance design
  • The practicality of a culet poking into skin is not fun, and so I wanted to place the fewest number of diamonds and the smallest diamonds on the underside of the wrist (closest to the clasp) - thank you @RunningwithScissors for mentioning this on your WF DBTY. I also decided to set the largest diamonds (0.4ct) in a deeper setting so that the culet does not touch my skin; all the other stones have a Tiffany DBTY design where the exposed culet does touch my skin
  • To mitigate the inevitable spinning, sizing the bracelet to fit relatively snug
  • D-G colour diamonds - wanted to see brighter, whiter diamonds pop against the YG bezel
It was then just a matter of trial and error. Sticking endless pieces of 15.5cm paper strips onto my wrist and drawing on where I think each diamond station should go. Maximising what can be seen from the top of the wrist. Minimising discomfort on the bottom (where my wrist hits the desk when I’m at the computer).

Once I knew what sized diamonds would be where in the line-up, it came to matching the diamonds so those of a similar colour are next to each other (max 2 colour grades apart - I am not colour sensitive so figured this would be okay).

The diamonds themselves ended up being 0.19-0.42ct, D-G, VS1-SI2 on a 15.5cm bracelet length.

4BCCB3B5-CE6D-4671-8D06-065DF612B6C7.jpeg

5. Concluding thoughts

Whilst I’m a huge fan of old cut stones and thought about sourcing old stones for the project, I feel that in smaller carat weights it’s hard to see the delicious chunky facets and it’s also hard to find a bunch of well-cut old cut stones, especially online and without seeing them in person. Hence why I focussed on MRBs here. I’m glad I did because the performance is fantastic!

I’ve lived with this bracelet for a couple of weeks now and there are pro’s and con’s that I’d like to share in case anyone else is thinking of doing a similar project.

Pro’s:
  1. Easy to wear
  2. Lightweight yet substantial - because each stone is 0.2-0.4ct
  3. Each diamond sparkles a lot but the overall look is not overwhelming, great for day-to-night
Con’s:
  1. The biggest downside is that the culets poke into my skin - it’s fine in aircon, but when my wrist swells outside in the summer heat, it can get uncomfortable. Am debating whether to increase the depth of the setting, but then it looks less ‘floaty’ - compare the clunkier look of the 0.4ct vs 0.2ct stones (you can see the culet dents in my skin)
  2. Flipping: this was inevitable. It doesn’t flip much but I do find myself adjusting it several times a day
  3. Stacking: I originally wanted to stack it with my JUC but because the bangle crosses over the bracelet throughout the day, it doesn’t look neat and also presses the exposed culets into my skin
One comparison I was keen to make is whether I notice a difference between the various colours (D-G), clarities (VS1-eye clean SI2) and crown/pavilion angles (fire vs brilliance). Whilst I would love to say that after years of being on PS and educating myself on diamonds that I am a discerning consumer, my eyes can’t really tell the difference for diamonds of this size, especially at a normal viewing distance.

Most of all, I like that no one else has a DBTY design quite like this; it’s rather uniquely me.

33D56ECA-7007-4735-92A8-1BEB5410053E.jpeg
612B8AE9-79E8-4602-BFBB-5627E6542C11.jpeg
198362F9-512F-40BA-9A13-62AE3FB12EC4.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your DBTY journey, with another piece that is uniquely yours!

DK :kiss2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The biggest downside is that the culets poke into my skin - it’s fine in aircon, but when my wrist swells outside in the summer heat, it can get uncomfortable. Am debating whether to increase the depth of the setting, but then it looks less ‘floaty’ - compare the clunkier look of the 0.4ct vs 0.2ct stones (you can see the culet dents in my skin)

Maybe consider adding a small extender with another jump ring? That way you can wear it tight or loose depending on the season.

If you stack bracelets, I’ll be concerned re scratching other bracelets too. That’s one reason why I don’t wear mine with other bracelets anyway.

Thanks for sharing your journey and thoughts with us. I’m sure other PSers will find it very helpful too.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
This is gorgeous in the yellow gold. I have a 9 station DBTY bracelet in plat from WF (much smaller diamonds) and it can sometimes look a little meh. But the yellow gold really makes your bracelet pop.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
I would think such bracelet look weird without your modelling photos. You absolutely did well, it looks so special & exclusively for you only.
Girl, you did well :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This bracelet turned out to be a beautiful piece of jewelry! You clearly put a lot of time and thought into its creation. You have shared a wealth of information here with us regarding these bezels and different diamond sizes! I too love the idea of negative space - such a pretty display of diamonds!

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I love this!! It looks perfect on you!!!:kiss2:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely love! It’s funny - reading your journey a lot resonated! I’ve always wanted a DBTY but find asymmetry pleasing, or something with more visual interest (like throwing in sapphires with an ombre color arrangement) - I think you achieved the perfect balance of classic and unique. It’s almost celestial because it is delicately scattered across your wrist. Perfect balance between form and function, well done!

The exposed culets gave me pause though. Do they hurt, or is it mostly just a nuisance? I just love this bracelet however.

Admittedly I’d love to see it stacked with your watch too! That’s a dream stack for me

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so unique and stunning! I just love it and that you went yellow gold and scattered the stones. Love love love.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pomelo do you think if all the bezels were deep enough to cover the culets the bracelet would still flip? These bracelets sort of remind me of a solitaire with the shared prong eternity band. Gorgeous look but with drawbacks - the solitaire must be worn with a spacer. Just trying to figure out if there would be a way to stop the pricking and the flipping! It is gorgeous nonetheless and I hope you get a lot of wear out of it. The negative space gives it the ability to go effortlessly from casual to dress up!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My internet out here is a bit too slow & sporadic to capture all the details, but will hopefully hold out long enough to tell you I very much LOVE this!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely amazing. I won't share with you the expletives that came out of my mouth as I scrolled down and saw the finished product Holy (*^T%()!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowwwww!!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your lovely messages!

Answering the ones with suggestions and questions --

Maybe consider adding a small extender with another jump ring? That way you can wear it tight or loose depending on the season.

If you stack bracelets, I’ll be concerned re scratching other bracelets too. That’s one reason why I don’t wear mine with other bracelets anyway.

Thanks for sharing your journey and thoughts with us. I’m sure other PSers will find it very helpful too.
Good point on the jump ring; the reason I didn't want to include one is because I find them a bit annoying on the wrist - I used to have a bracelet with a small extender and could feel it against my wrist whenever I used my hands. But I guess the question is whether the culets are more annoying...!

Does your bracelet have exposed culets too that would scratch other wrist wear?

The exposed culets gave me pause though. Do they hurt, or is it mostly just a nuisance? I just love this bracelet however.

Admittedly I’d love to see it stacked with your watch too! That’s a dream stack for me

In aircon, I can barely feel the exposed culets. Even when I'm at the gym in an aircon environment, I can't really feel them.

It's when I'm outside for a longer period of time and swell noticeably that the culets start pricking my skin. I wouldn't say it 'hurts' but it is definitely noticeable and a nuisance.

The other thing is: when any of the stations flip around and I scratch myself on the culet, it's like, "Ah, culets are sharp!". This doesn't happen very much, but it's also something to be aware of.

So... I would say that I'll wear it as-is for a bit longer, and will find a longer term solution that blends aesthetics with comfort.

Here it is with my watch! I found that using the watch as a “spacer” between the bracelet and my JUC avoids any unwanted contact between the two. The bracelet is also sized to fit snug so it doesn’t move much / over anything else, and I am relatively confident it won’t be able to scratch my watch.

23878E1E-3D03-43B4-9871-91D3C146E949.jpeg

@Pomelo do you think if all the bezels were deep enough to cover the culets the bracelet would still flip? These bracelets sort of remind me of a solitaire with the shared prong eternity band. Gorgeous look but with drawbacks - the solitaire must be worn with a spacer. Just trying to figure out if there would be a way to stop the pricking and the flipping! It is gorgeous nonetheless and I hope you get a lot of wear out of it. The negative space gives it the ability to go effortlessly from casual to dress up!

Yes good point - my jeweller said that if the base of the bezel setting was wide enough, it should reduce the amount of flipping (and obviously the deeper bezel reduces the pricking).

The thing is, I tried to preserve the 'floating' Tiffany DBTY look; on the wrist, the shallow bezel sit much lower and look far lighter than the deeper bezels.

However, this may be a case where functionality wins out over form...

Here’s what I mean about it looking “heavy” and “light” on the wrist

0AF284C3-85DC-499F-9C22-EDC05203083F.jpeg

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful @Pomelo! you have such unique stunning pieces. Sorry I can't offer any insight into the "cons" mentioned but popping in to share my admiration for this piece. Enjoy!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your lovely messages!

Answering the ones with suggestions and questions --

Good point on the jump ring; the reason I didn't want to include one is because I find them a bit annoying on the wrist - I used to have a bracelet with a small extender and could feel it against my wrist whenever I used my hands. But I guess the question is whether the culets are more annoying...!

In aircon, I can barely feel the exposed culets. Even when I'm at the gym in an aircon environment, I can't really feel them.

It's when I'm outside for a longer period of time and swell noticeably that the culets start pricking my skin. I wouldn't say it 'hurts' but it is definitely noticeable and a nuisance.

The other thing is: when any of the stations flip around and I scratch myself on the culet, it's like, "Ah, culets are sharp!". This doesn't happen very much, but it's also something to be aware of.

So... I would say that I'll wear it as-is for a bit longer, and will find a longer term solution that blends aesthetics with comfort.

Here it is with my watch! I found that using the watch as a “spacer” between the bracelet and my JUC avoids any unwanted contact between the two. The bracelet is also sized to fit snug so it doesn’t move much / over anything else, and I am relatively confident it won’t be able to scratch my watch.

23878E1E-3D03-43B4-9871-91D3C146E949.jpeg

Yes good point - my jeweller said that if the base of the bezel setting was wide enough, it should reduce the amount of flipping (and obviously the deeper bezel reduces the pricking).

The thing is, I tried to preserve the 'floating' Tiffany DBTY look; on the wrist, the shallow bezel sit much lower and look far lighter than the deeper bezels.

However, this may be a case where functionality wins out over form...

Here’s what I mean about it looking “heavy” and “light” on the wrist

0AF284C3-85DC-499F-9C22-EDC05203083F.jpeg

Yes I understand what your jeweler was saying. The floating look is definitely attractive but wonder how much of a difference it would make if all of the bezels were deep? No sure way to know I guess except to do it. Would be a shame and extra expense to be disappointed though. It really is pretty on you wrist!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I think if you do a short ext, you can double up the end when you wear it shorter so that it’s just a small loop at the end that hopefully doesn’t swing against your wrist so much. Mine are fully exposed. Pics in the post quoted below.

Mine are the thin DBTY with exposed cutlets. I think the IDJ version has thicker bezels. I really like the elegant thin profile (it’s like low profile and against my skin as opposed to a higher bezel) but was initially worried about the “pokiness”. Read from some PS-ers that you can get used to wearing DBTY after a while and indeed it took a few days but I no longer feel it and it doesn’t bother me now (you can see the marks against my skin in the pics below but I really don’t feel it).

73ABE854-D021-4208-9329-D786FC4F5596.jpeg 9EEF99D5-C543-45EC-A0B7-6A81B2A9AC9F.jpeg

Total is approx 3.8ctw.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well thought out and unique to you and your other beautiful pieces!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous update on a classic piece!
Your take on the DBTY bracelet is so modern and refreshing!

Last edited:

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
Ooh, how fun and special! I love how the yellow bezel looks with the white diamonds <3.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
PS, I’ve been wishing for a bit of sparkle on the wrist for some time now. The only two wrist-things in my current collection are both solid YG bangles (Cartier JUC and Hermes CDC) and whilst they’ve both served me well, I’ve been dreaming about dusting my wrist with some diamonds.

Inspired by @Tonks 's detailed post on Vivian, I wanted to document my (rather lengthy!) decision making process for this custom DBTY bracelet.

TLDR: after trying on a range of bangles and tennis bracelets (ranging from 3ctw to 30ctw+!), I realised that I value the design elements of negative space and asymmetry, and wanted a bracelet that worked hard for both day and night. The result is an 8-station “scattered” DBTY with a variety of diamond sizes in D-G colour and an asymmetric design. Scroll to the bottom for pics!

I also created some solitaire pieces: a pair of bezel-set studs and a floating bezel-set ring, these used L-M diamonds set in YG.

I initially thought I wanted a tennis bracelet that could work for both day and night, and stack with my bangles. I lapped up tennis bracelet SMTBs and took every opportunity to try them on in person.

Here is a compendium of what I tried on: tennis bracelets in traditional round diamonds ranging from 3ctw to 25ctw, mixed cut and step cut diamonds ranging from 7ct to 30ctw+, Georgian and Victorian bangles at 3.5ctw to 9-10ctw.

Trust me when I say that I’ve had fun trying them on, but truthfully none of them felt “right” on my wrist: it didn’t feel like me when the diamonds were all the same size, or when they were softly graduated. It didn’t feel like me when they were a continuous line around my wrist. And most of all, I found tennis bracelets to be quite heavy!

It wasn’t until I saw @LLJsmom 's 6-motif pave VCA and I tried on a VCA 5-motif bracelet that I realised how much I valued the negative space between each station. Plus, the incredible quality of the VCA pave set against WG genuinely made me giddy with delight.

For me, the sections of unadorned chain provides visual interest and draws more attention to each station. Indeed, the WG pave onyx VCA bracelet was so beautiful that I actually brought it home with me - probably the first impulse buy I’ve had with fine jewellery!

However, after getting some great insights and advice from @diamondseeker2006 , @Tonks and @oldcutclubmember on how they wear their VCA, I realised the bracelet wouldn’t work for me.

For one, I am so lazy that I don’t remove my jewellery for sleep, shower or exercise (I call this my SSEx test, hah!). For another, I don’t own or wear enough WG.

So back to VCA it went (cry!) and I thought hard about what I wanted from my first ever diamond bracelet.

I also tried on the most substantial DBTY at Tiffany but found the diamonds (0.18ct each, 1.26ctw) to be too small for my liking.

3. The criteria

To be honest, I should’ve started with the criteria first. However, I think it took time for me to figure out what I wanted from a diamond bracelet.
  1. Laziness: passes my test for sleep, shower and exercise. This means that it must be comfortable but also substantial enough to transition from day to night

4. The design

The easy decisions were:
  • Bezel setting - love the clean, minimalist look of a bezel and that it’s great for klutzy people like me
  • Chain thickness to be 1.2-1.4mm. Didn’t want to go thinner than this (because I’ve had a Louis Vuitton fine bracelet snap off before and disappear whilst running errands)
I trawled through PS and the other forum, busting out the calculator for distances between diamonds depending on the number of stations and my wrist size, doodling and cutting out strips of paper to stick around my wrist for visualisation.

In the end, I found that it was too hard to come up with an “ideal” design without certain parameters. So I decided to go diamond hunting first: a range of 0.2-0.5ct diamonds with faceting and angles close to super ideal (but my preference is biased towards fire - so you’ll see a few 35-36.5 degree crown angles). I am less concerned about clarity so as long as it’s eye clean, I’m happy.

You will notice that I bought more diamonds than I needed for the bracelet and some are yellower than others - I was curious about the difference between D and M coloured diamonds in real life, after they had been set; and so these were earmarked for other projects.

• I like the look of big and little diamonds juxtaposed, rather than graduated - like @icy_jade 's diamond ‘bubble’ bracelet
  • Uneven spacing between each station provided even more visual interest e.g. Boodles raindance design
  • The practicality of a culet poking into skin is not fun, and so I wanted to place the fewest number of diamonds and the smallest diamonds on the underside of the wrist (closest to the clasp) - thank you @RunningwithScissors for mentioning this on your WF DBTY. I also decided to set the largest diamonds (0.4ct) in a deeper setting so that the culet does not touch my skin; all the other stones have a Tiffany DBTY design where the exposed culet does touch my skin
  • To mitigate the inevitable spinning, sizing the bracelet to fit relatively snug
  • D-G colour diamonds - wanted to see brighter, whiter diamonds pop against the YG bezel
It was then just a matter of trial and error. Sticking endless pieces of 15.5cm paper strips onto my wrist and drawing on where I think each diamond station should go. Maximising what can be seen from the top of the wrist. Minimising discomfort on the bottom (where my wrist hits the desk when I’m at the computer).

Once I knew what sized diamonds would be where in the line-up, it came to matching the diamonds so those of a similar colour are next to each other (max 2 colour grades apart - I am not colour sensitive so figured this would be okay).

The diamonds themselves ended up being 0.19-0.42ct, D-G, VS1-SI2 on a 15.5cm bracelet length.

5. Concluding thoughts

Whilst I’m a huge fan of old cut stones and thought about sourcing old stones for the project, I feel that in smaller carat weights it’s hard to see the delicious chunky facets and it’s also hard to find a bunch of well-cut old cut stones, especially online and without seeing them in person. Hence why I focussed on MRBs here. I’m glad I did because the performance is fantastic!

I’ve lived with this bracelet for a couple of weeks now and there are pro’s and con’s that I’d like to share in case anyone else is thinking of doing a similar project.

Pro’s:
  1. Easy to wear
  3. Each diamond sparkles a lot but the overall look is not overwhelming, great for day-to-night
Con’s:
  1. The biggest downside is that the culets poke into my skin - it’s fine in aircon, but when my wrist swells outside in the summer heat, it can get uncomfortable. Am debating whether to increase the depth of the setting, but then it looks less ‘floaty’ - compare the clunkier look of the 0.4ct vs 0.2ct stones (you can see the culet dents in my skin)
  2. Flipping: this was inevitable. It doesn’t flip much but I do find myself adjusting it several times a day
  3. Stacking: I originally wanted to stack it with my JUC but because the bangle crosses over the bracelet throughout the day, it doesn’t look neat and also presses the exposed culets into my skin
One comparison I was keen to make is whether I notice a difference between the various colours (D-G), clarities (VS1-eye clean SI2) and crown/pavilion angles (fire vs brilliance). Whilst I would love to say that after years of being on PS and educating myself on diamonds that I am a discerning consumer, my eyes can’t really tell the difference for diamonds of this size, especially at a normal viewing distance.

Most of all, I like that no one else has a DBTY design quite like this; it’s rather uniquely me.

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh @Pomelo !!!!! I love everything about this! Thank you so much for doing a detailed process post—I have loved reading your journey and thoughts to get here!

I honestly loved everything you tried, but then when I scrolled down to the bracelet you created—WOW. It is so very you. Your style is distinctive and this works perfectly with your other pieces.

As far as your list of cons goes—my initial thought on the culets is to suggest building up the bezels on the smaller stones so they are deeper like the ones on the bigger stones. I absolutely hear you on it not being as floaty in appearance that way, but at least in photos, the larger bezels still appear delicate and look like they float. That might help with the comfort issue with the culets as well as with stacking—I’m thinking the part that would pose the most danger to other bracelets is the culet. I love love LOVE the way your new bracelet looks with your JUC. I hear you on it crossing over the JUC. That happens whenever i wear a non bangle with my JUC. At first it drove me bonkers and now I have gotten used to it and love wearing my VCA 5 motifs with it.

Who did your setting ? Looks like they did a fabulous job! And will you do another thread on the floating bezel set ring (I’m assuming it is the one on your index finger? LOVE IT!) and your new bezeled studs?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pomelo Oh, that is SO pretty in yellow gold! I love the bezels and think the bracelet looks great with your rings! I once had a DBTY bracelet, but I couldn't have worn it 24/7 due to the culets. I've debated for ages about getting a bezel set tennis bracelet which would mean no culets touching my skin. But I am not convinced I'd wear it enough to justify the cost. I also can very much relate to the feeling of LOVE trying on VCA pave!!! But again, that wouldn't work very well with my very casual attire. I think you made a good choice for wearability purposes, but I am not sure whether the two heights of bezels would bother me, especially since they can turn over.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock

3. The criteria

4. The design

The easy decisions were:

5. Concluding thoughts

Pro’s:
  1. Easy to wear
Con’s:

Love your new bracelet and all of your stunning jewelry, and, to top all that, you look gorgeous!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Love this! Thank you for documenting your journey. It’s very you!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I understand what your jeweler was saying. The floating look is definitely attractive but wonder how much of a difference it would make if all of the bezels were deep? No sure way to know I guess except to do it. Would be a shame and extra expense to be disappointed though. It really is pretty on you wrist!!

It's true - I think it's hard to know unless I have it in hand! I was thinking whether it'd be better to get it created in sterling silver, but then I would have to find CZ stones in similar size etc... might not be worth the hassle and cost.

I think if you do a short ext, you can double up the end when you wear it shorter so that it’s just a small loop at the end that hopefully doesn’t swing against your wrist so much. Mine are fully exposed. Pics in the post quoted below.
Thanks! Good to know that you got used to it. I'm wondering whether to 'wait out' this summer heat and see how it fares in autumn/winter/spring. I also wonder whether it's my swollen / sensitive pregnant skin that can't deal with it; I've even started to take off certain pieces of jewellery at night cos for the first time, I can feel it when I'm sleeping :lol-2:

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh @Pomelo !!!!! I love everything about this! Thank you so much for doing a detailed process post—I have loved reading your journey and thoughts to get here!

I honestly loved everything you tried, but then when I scrolled down to the bracelet you created—WOW. It is so very you. Your style is distinctive and this works perfectly with your other pieces.

As far as your list of cons goes—my initial thought on the culets is to suggest building up the bezels on the smaller stones so they are deeper like the ones on the bigger stones. I absolutely hear you on it not being as floaty in appearance that way, but at least in photos, the larger bezels still appear delicate and look like they float. That might help with the comfort issue with the culets as well as with stacking—I’m thinking the part that would pose the most danger to other bracelets is the culet. I love love LOVE the way your new bracelet looks with your JUC. I hear you on it crossing over the JUC. That happens whenever i wear a non bangle with my JUC. At first it drove me bonkers and now I have gotten used to it and love wearing my VCA 5 motifs with it.

Who did your setting ? Looks like they did a fabulous job! And will you do another thread on the floating bezel set ring (I’m assuming it is the one on your index finger? LOVE IT!) and your new bezeled studs?

Thanks @Tonks , I'm umming and ahhing over the deeper bezels because I'm probably the one who looks at my bracelet the most, and I like it floaty. First world problems, eh :evil2:

The setting is done by a jeweller based in Abu Dhabi - happy to share their details separately! They're a lovely local family business but I will say that we usually have to go through a couple of tweaks (and to be honest I'm not 100% with how they've done the setting on the bracelet, but it's also my fault for not specifying exactly how I wanted each bezel to look).

I'll share my other pieces shortly; haven't had a chance to do my PS homework and write it all up yet ;-)

@Pomelo Oh, that is SO pretty in yellow gold! I love the bezels and think the bracelet looks great with your rings! I once had a DBTY bracelet, but I couldn't have worn it 24/7 due to the culets. I've debated for ages about getting a bezel set tennis bracelet which would mean no culets touching my skin. But I am not convinced I'd wear it enough to justify the cost. I also can very much relate to the feeling of LOVE trying on VCA pave!!! But again, that wouldn't work very well with my very casual attire. I think you made a good choice for wearability purposes, but I am not sure whether the two heights of bezels would bother me, especially since they can turn over.

Ooh I'd love to enable a bezel set tennis bracelet :kiss2: Out of interest, why wouldn't you wear it enough? I adore vintage/antique bezel set tennis bracelet with old cut stones and have only ever seen them set in platinum, so the work is very fine and beautiful. The setting should be secure enough for daily wear!

Regarding the difference in height of the two bezels, this was one of my concerns as well. But, for whatever reason, I decided the 0.4ct stones were deep enough to be uncomfortable, but the 0.2 & 0.3cts weren't...

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering what your opinions are on having a U-shaped bridge along the bottom to cover the culet but still be a little floaty? Would it cause the diamonds to flop to one side and not sit upright so the viewing angle is a bit weird?

B2775789-C67E-43D0-AC0C-AEC817AEA1BC.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering what your opinions are on having a U-shaped bridge along the bottom to cover the culet but still be a little floaty? Would it cause the diamonds to flop to one side and not sit upright so the viewing angle is a bit weird?

B2775789-C67E-43D0-AC0C-AEC817AEA1BC.jpeg

Interesting idea but I have no idea if it would work. Let's tag @yssie as she is very good at these types of things!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I loved reading your journey! I also love how you seem to take such careful consideration into what you want to make sure it’s a permanent part of your collection (unlike me! I get something that is “almost” perfect and then regret it or spend more when the perfect one does come along lol). It’s beautiful and I do hope that you find a resolution to the issues you have. An extender seems a great idea.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty @Pomelo ! I love the asymmetry...unexpected and interesting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results