shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion peridot in bezel setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, my peridot is on the way to me now. I had tried to upload the file but I just can''t, its secure download/plain text format.. Anyway, I would want to set it as a ring and probably a bezel for more protection. Is there a risk of chipping the peridot in the setting process? Taking note on the vulnerability of the peridot are there any other setting I can consider? Will it look better in yellow gold or white gold? I thought of a double bezel with a thin yellow gold bezel securing the peridot, But will that make the peridot looks yellowish? Tks references most welcome!

Would bezeling it be a good idea depends on the skill of your jeweller, so be sure to check with him about past experience with setting more fragile stones. And will it look better in white or yellow gold depends on it''s actual shade of green - I suggest you wait until you see the stone for yourself (then take a zillion photos for us) and will take it from there. I''ve seen some that looked really nice in yellow gold, others looked amazing in white.

Most peridots typically look better in yellow gold because the contrast of a white metal usually brings out the olive component which makes the stone look not as pretty. If your jeweller is competent, a bezel is a good idea. However, most jewellers may be unwilling to do so because of the high risk of damage to the peridot.

hi there! What gem, shape and size will you recommend for sidestones to compliment the centre cushion peridot?

How about pink or orange? You can easily get some nice pink tourmalines or spessartites. You can do a 3 stone cushion.

Some violetish blue could make a nice combo, especially if you prefer white metal. Shape, tapered baguettes could be nice. But it all depends on your taste, on desired effect, on how/where you''d want to wear the piece etc.

Hi tks Chrono and ma re! I want in as a ring in white gold. my peridot cushion i squarish, will it looks weird with rect.cushion?

White metal? In that case, I’ll have to change my colour suggestion to a cooler colour like the purple shades (lavender, lilac, etc). Getting coloured sidestones in shapes like baguettes might not be easy; it is better to try to stick to a more common outline. You can do 2 rounds (north and south) on each side? 2 rectangular cushions?

I agree with the both of you, purplish sound delicious
3.gif
I shall go for a trillion or pear shape sapphire or spinel. What about red or shocking pink? Do let me know should you come across a pair! :)

This is the design I like , might consider using yellow gold for just the bezel. Thought of adding 2 sidestones should a nice pair comes along. If not the done up should be looking like this, hopefully.
21.gif

Sapphire-Split-Ring-II-20a 2.gif

I admit to being partial to pink with green. I would advise that you look at sidestones in person with the center stone though. I thought I wanted a purpley blue for my peridot too but it ended up not looking all that great for my particular stone. For me, pink tourmaline ended up looking the best.

176610655_a48e5a9a0f.jpg

Tks Kismet! That''s a unique ring
2.gif

Date: 10/9/2009 11:37:54 AM
Author: chictomato
I agree with the both of you, purplish sound delicious
3.gif
I shall go for a trillion or pear shape sapphire or spinel. What about red or shocking pink? Do let me know should you come across a pair! :)
Now that''s a description, LOL! We usually use terms like vibrant, vivid or bright
2.gif
Pink could actually look nice, especially if you add some floral details in the design, cause they could remind of some petals and leafs (it could also remind of some JM designs). But with that color combo I''d go with some slightly whimsical combination of shapes, like mixing cushion with heart sides. Red might be a bit too much of a destraction next to a peridot.

21.gif
Ya green and pink does remind me of flowers. The colors might be a little too ''sweet'' for me though:)

Dropping in late to this.

Chico - which peridot did you get? Do you have a . . . Oh, wait - are we not supposed to post outside links anymore?

I love peridot.

I prefer peridots in yellow gold but my favorite peridot color is medium (slightly to the darker side of medium) yellow green. It sure does bring out the yellow.

Oh, Kismet - that ring is Great !! Soft, pretty colors.

Date: 10/10/2009 7:48:04 AM
Author: sonomacounty
Dropping in late to this.

Chico - which peridot did you get? Do you have a . . . Oh, wait - are we not supposed to post outside links anymore?

I love peridot.

I prefer peridots in yellow gold but my favorite peridot color is medium (slightly to the darker side of medium) yellow green. It sure does bring out the yellow.

Oh, Kismet - that ring is Great !! Soft, pretty colors.

Mmm.. I am not sure,but everyone seems to be posting links:) the peridot hasn''t reach me, I will take some photos once it arrive!

Hi there, my initial thought was to bezel set the peridot. But I heard from an experienced jeweler that due to the vulnerability of the soft gems, at times the bezel is not set in the way it should be on a diamond. He explained the process of bezeling a diamond as ''knocking'' the edges of the bezel than smoothening it. However when it comes to soft, colored gem, some jeweler uses GLUE
6.gif
to bezel set it, so as to omit the ''knocking'' that might breaks the gem!! Is that true?

Date: 10/12/2009 10:30:49 PM
Hi there, my initial thought was to bezel set the peridot. But I heard from an experienced jeweler that due to the vulnerability of the soft gems, at times the bezel is not set in the way it should be on a diamond. He explained the process of bezeling a diamond as ''knocking'' the edges of the bezel than smoothening it. However when it comes to soft, colored gem, some jeweler uses GLUE
6.gif
to bezel set it, so as to omit the ''knocking'' that might breaks the gem!! Is that true?
No good jeweler would use glue on a bezel - but a lot of bad benchpeople do.

Date: 10/12/2009 10:30:49 PM
6.gif
33.gif
23.gif

Yes it''s true that it''s sometimes done, in fact, the first time I heard this it was when one of the PS-ers showed the end-result of a cabochon ring project, really can''t remember who it was, but it was still a nice ring.

I too heard about the glue part but only on cabochons. My jeweller did a very good bezel setting on a concave peridot trillion ring I gifted to my mother. He did it the old fashioned way of hammering the metal over the stone very carefully. No glue was used.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP