shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion/Half-Moon Proportions (Gypsy or Niel?)

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

First I'd like to start out by thanking everyone who has chimed in on my previous thread in regards to the custom engagement ring I'm currently working on with David Klass. I think it goes without saying that it has been a long process and I'm currently finding myself very much overwhelmed with small details. On the other hand, we shipped out our stone to him about a week ago, and just received some photos with the 0.22 ct half moons he had chosen for us, and our center stone. Do they look proportionate? Should I request smaller sides? Thanks.

20161014_182201.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like smaller sidestones, personally.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ask for pictures of finished rings with those proportions. The side stones will look smaller when set in all likelihood since they will not be set on the same plane.

That said, I would prefer smaller sides...like 75 or 80% of the height. Don't go by weight.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would get sidestones just a smidgen smaller. BUT the caveat is that if your center stone is going to be set much higher than the sidestones, I think that size is fine (much being like over 1 mm, definitely over 1.5 mm). Personally I'd also look for half moons with a different facet pattern because I don't think those go well with the cushion pattern.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree wih disyracts on faceting.

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the opinions everyone. I guess we imagined the faceting wouldn't be that big of an issue but we are both bothered by how off the sides look with the center. At this point we are thinking of scrapping the three stone idea and moving back to a solitaire.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BAS2348|1476579889|4087558 said:
Thank you for the opinions everyone. I guess we imagined the faceting wouldn't be that big of an issue but we are both bothered by how off the sides look with the center. At this point we are thinking of scrapping the three stone idea and moving back to a solitaire.

Oh man I'm sorry this is getting stressful for you. I agree, however, that the mixture of faceting also appears distracting to me as well.

Maybe a soli or a halo might be a better option

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Niel|1476616302|4087609 said:
BAS2348|1476579889|4087558 said:

Oh man I'm sorry this is getting stressful for you. I agree, however, that the mixture of faceting also appears distracting to me as well.

Maybe a soli or a halo might be a better option

Thank you Niel, she's sad to see the three stone design go but she's already found solitaires that have caught her eye. How does this look?

I did notice the pave is different than what we had originally chosen, would it still work with the bright cut or should we go with a fish tail?

img_13075.jpg

img_13076.jpg

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't scrap the 3-stone idea-I love a cushion with half moons. I would voice my concerns to the vendor and ask them to find a different pair that will match the center stone better

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Kasey3|1476651111|4087713 said:
I wouldn't scrap the 3-stone idea-I love a cushion with half moons. I would voice my concerns to the vendor and ask them to find a different pair that will match the center stone better

Kasey3 - thank you so much for your encouragement! Unfortunately the size of the sidestones we need are very small and not readily found. We honestly do not want to be so bothersome with the search for the "perfect" sides (DK has already been extremely accommodating). The type of H&A cushion we purchased is the true reason why the half moons do not look like they flow with the overall design...but we will figure it out!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BAS2348|1476657204|4087737 said:

Kasey3 - thank you so much for your encouragement! Unfortunately the size of the sidestones we need are very small and not readily found. We honestly do not want to be so bothersome with the search for the "perfect" sides (DK has already been extremely accommodating). The type of H&A cushion we purchased is the true reason why the half moons do not look like they flow with the overall design...but we will figure it out!

That's what I was going to say. The quality nofncut in the cushion won't match any half moons you find. They don't Curt hearts and arrows half moons

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Niel|1476658692|4087740 said:
BAS2348|1476657204|4087737 said:

That's what I was going to say. The quality nofncut in the cushion won't match any half moons you find. They don't Curt hearts and arrows half moons

I think it's better to just move on than to go through with the design and have her hate it in the end. Hopefully David won't mind starting over with us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results