shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut Opinions and Conversion Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi everybody!!! Before I get started, I would like to thank both Pricescope and all of you for your the very valuable information posted throughout this site! I have been researching diamonds now for about 6 months and I have learned so much here. It is almost buying time and I have a stone picked out. It is the most beautiful cushion that I have seen yet. The only problem is that I like the way that a 1.50 carat stone looks and this stone is only 1.30 carats. I say only, because I want to stone to be set in a one of a kind hybrid type setting resembeling the LESS ELABORATE TIFFANY LEGACY and a LEON MEGE ANTIQUE HALO STYLE MASTERPIECE. I am going to list the specifics of the stone that I like, but could someone help me with a measurement conversion between the 1.30 and 1.50. I love the shape of this stone and really want to find something similar in a 1.50 carat.

GIA DIAMOND GRADING REPORT

Shape and Cutting Style: Cushion Brilliant
Measurements: 6.82 x 6.15 x 4.00 mm
Weight: 1.30 carat
Depth: 65.0%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Extremely Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Fluorescence: None

*Premium cut according to the web-site

What do you think of this stone??? Thank you for your opinions!!!
26.gif

Tiffany Legacy.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey cad (hope you don''t mind me abbreviating)
35.gif
welcome to ps!

the ct. weight can be deceptive. visually, you could have a 1.30ct. stone that looks the same size wise as a 1.50ct. depending on the measurements. so, your key to having a stone look bigger is to find one with bigger measurements....if that is your main priority. i say, if you find a stone that you love performance wise, don''t rule it out.

the stone you posted looks like it could be very nice. the only thing i don''t really like is the very thick girdle. that is taking up some of the ct. weight you are paying for.

Hi Belle,

Thank you for your reply. Here is a picture of my stone.

My Cushion.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Isn''t that Reena''s setting? It''s to die for.

Actually, I believe it is her setting. I found it when I was researching on Pricescope. We want to incorporate the different aspects of the Tiffany Legacy and the Leon Mege Masterpiece that we like the most and make it a one of a kind setting. A very well respected locacl jeweler is on top of the project. We are so excited, but still caught up on carat weight.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very exciting indeed, that is one of my very most favorite settings of all time. Your stone looks great too, at least what I can see of it. Best wishes and good luck. Oh and you better come back with hand pics or else!!!
31.gif

Would you sacrafice going from a 1.30 ct. F colored stone to a G colored stone weighing 1.50 in order to go up in size?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depending on the cut yes!!!

I have only liked the way premium cut stones look. I use the word premium because on a web-site they list there stones as premium, very good, good, fair and poor.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly most people can''t tell the difference between an F and a G. Assuming the G is an ideal cut I''d rather see you go for the bigger size. You didn''t mention clarity though. What''s the clarity of the G??

I would love to keep it above a VS2, although I do see a lot of people on this site going to SI1''s.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cushions can be tricky when it comes to color and clarity. If you can find an eyeclean SI1 there is definately potential to save some $$. I would drop from an F to a G for size but would defintely have to see it first.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2005 8:53:57 PM
Author:Curious About Diamonds

GIA DIAMOND GRADING REPORT

Shape and Cutting Style: Cushion Brilliant
Measurements: 6.82 x 6.15 x 4.00 mm <-------this isn't 'small' for the weight to begin with...
Weight: 1.30 carat
Depth: 65.0%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Extremely Thick, Faceted <--------- any chance to find one with a less thik girdle? If you
want a stone that looks relatively large for the
weight, this would help. And you may not see so
much of a 'fish eye' either.

Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Fluorescence: None

*Premium cut according to the web-site <---------- this is the seller's label and each store has their own
criteria. It may have nothing to do with the looks of the stone...
Just my 0.2.

If you have a certain size in mind, look for the diameter of 1.3 tp 1.5 cushions. I am sure you will find allot of variation and keeping weight under 1.5 may keep up with both budget and the look you want.

You may or may not be able to tell F-G/VS2 s apart in a pile
2.gif
And if a paricularly clean SI1 comes up, perhaps it may be worth it. Just for that it may be useful to consider the grade in an initial search.

Best of luck!
1.gif

Btw. How about D-Si1 I wish there was a copy of a lab report. Perhaps another shop listing this has it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2005 7:52:05 AM
Author: Curious About Diamonds

Do you think that this stone has enough carat weight to be placed in a setting like this?

The one at Icestore seems pretty straightforward - it would work, IMO. The other I don''t know - you may want to ask Art of Platinum directly... But this is just some opinion: I know there are 1 ct Legacy and the other design was adapted from examples holding much larger stones already. The one in the picture is 2cts.

I was wondering how this diamond can still be relatively large for the weight with such a thick girdle... and the lab report gives a potential explanation - there is an ''indented natural'' on the girdle. I can''t be sure, but this could mean that only that tiny spot is ''extremely thick'' and the rest ''slightly thick'' - which sounds much better than a wide rim all around the stone.

Best of luck with the ring!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leon, hands down.
30.gif
30.gif

What would be the minimum carat weight you would put in the Leon Setting???

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
The biggest diamond you can afford...because size (and cut) do matter!

Contact Leon. He will be the most qualified to tell you. After all, he will make the ring.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results