shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut -- help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
EVERY cushion cut I see is completely different -- and that I expect. I mean they are all different shapes and what not -- BUT why do some have a distinctively different cut than others? I notice that most have tons of tiny facets with lots of "flash" and sparkle on the inside, but others have larger facets with what seems to be more outward light reflection (forgive me for the terms I use -- I''m totally clueless and just describe what I see). I prefer the ones that look more like older cut diamond (the latter above), but I can''t figure out how the two are distinguised on paper. Yesterday I thought I had it figured out but I''m not sure -- My bf and I were at the jewelry mart in Atlanta, looking at tons of diamonds from different wholesalers. It seemed that the first cushion I described above was always listed by GIA as "cushion - modified brilliant", and the other was listed as "cushion - brilliant". Was this just a coincidence, or is the word "modified" truly a distinguishing factor?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2004 9:27:38 AM
Author:SJS1234
I notice that most have tons of tiny facets with lots of 'flash' and sparkle on the inside, but others have larger facets with what seems to be more outward light reflection (...), but I can't figure out how the two are distinguised on paper.
1.gif
This must be the perfect way to talk about cut grades if there ever was one: " I know what I want, but do not know the numbers"...

Unfortunately, neither do I!

To the best of my knowledge the vintage looks you describe correspond to more fire and contrast brilliance, larger and deeper pavilion facest and a higher crown with steep pavilion angles. This is at leats what I would be looking for on paper - or by numbers if more than just the GIA cert is available.

There are not too many examples of old cushion cts (old miner, right ?) described electronically to the last detail. Here's one (LINK) - sold but really ghood as refference, IMO, given the exaustive description.

I do not have an example of the other type (the one with small pinfire brilliance): perhaps a stone with most fire coming from a large table... a less deep cut with a relatively large table (over 60%) and a shallow pavilion (under 10%, say). There are many like this out these, but none with a good description online that would help you tell the type "on paper" - as you say. perhaps I will find one to show after all.

Just my 0,2. Hope better help is on the way
1.gif

Added: Actually, here's one more example in a different presentation (Diamond Movie) You will not find allot of reports about this shopw here, but there are not too many sources of such images. IMO, they make great conversation pieces. IS this one close to what you came to like about cushion cuts ?

Hopefully some of this helps.

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
SJS, I understand exactly how you feel. They are so different. After looking at a few last night, I found that I prefer certain facet patterns, so I am starting to pay more attention to the drawing on the GIA report to weed out the ones I wouldn''t like.

I am not sure whether the name had anything to do with it. I know if you like the old miner cut style, usually they have a culet while many of the modern cuts like MMM''s have no culet.

I think looking is the best way to really tell, though

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys! I think it''s just going to come down to looking at it and deciding if I like the specific diamond. SO, i''m going to rule it out as a possible e-ring choice. My bf, poor thing, is so confused already. I''ve taught him a lot about color, clarity, table, depth, blah blah blah -- and i think he has it all down pretty well, but he couldn''t see the "cut" differences that I could see..... I love the asscher anyway --- it was my original choice, and there''s not so much variation. I saw some really pretty ones yesterday. AND I saw a Tycoon cut at a B&M a few days ago that was square with larger cut corners -- totally different than the other tycoon''s I''ve seen -- and it was GORGEOUS. definitely my fav. Definitely paying a premium for that though, and I think that specific look will be hard to find in a smaller size (in ANY size, since it was so unique). rambling now....just wanted to say thanks for the info, really.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Is getting an OMC an option for you? Or do you want the more precisely lined facets of a modern "chunky" cushion? I love the impreciseness of an OMC and I love the history behind it and I love the darling open culet, so I''d rather get an OMC over a modern cushion anyday.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I would take an OMC in a heartbeat -- I ABSOLUTELY love them. BUT they are hard to find in a good color range -- and in the size & price range that works for us. So many of them have been cut down to RB, unfortunately. My great grandmother had one that was just gorgeous and my mom wears it now. My sister and I have teasingly fought over it for years, but for some dumb reason I bargained with her (my mom loves this) and agreed to take an antique honduran mohagony dining set when Mom "kicks it" (she LOVES it when we use that phrase) so she could take the diamond. We totally joke about it in front of mom -- I think she''s relieved we''ve worked it out so she doesn''t have to! Hopefully it will be a very very long time before either of us get anything! ANYWAY, the point is I would take a diamond like that over any modern cut stone any day of the week. sometimes technology just BITES. my personal opinion.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2004 11:50:26 AM
Author: SJS1234
I would take an OMC in a heartbeat -- I ABSOLUTELY love them. BUT they are hard to find in a good color range -- and in the size & price range that works for us.
Your post sounds so very enthusiastic about these old cuts. It does not help that there are not too many specialized sellers for them... but perhaps there is some chance for you to find one, Pricescope and all
6.gif
Worth trying ?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
SJ, PM Dave Atlas (OldMiner). His company wholesales older cuts and can probably give you a few leads. He helped me find my OMC. Mine is probably smaller than what you''re looking for (under a carat), but it''s graded an H and is very white.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results