shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion cut diamond earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chris1

Rough_Rock
I am thinking of cushion cut diamond stud earrings, 4 carat total weight. Some salespeople told me that cushion cut will show its shape best from 3 carat and above. If I only want 2 carat per ear, radiant cut diamond studs are better alternative. I would like to get some thoughts on this suggestion. Thanks!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like they are trying to solve their problem, not yours!
22.gif

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
I have heard similar things about cushion cut diamonds -- that it needs to be a certain size in order to really show off the unique shape. However, from what I understand, the shape is done justice at about 2 ct.

A 2.2 ct. cushion engagement ring was recently posted in the "Show Me the Ring" forum. Take a look at that to get an idea of what a 2 ct. cushion looks like. The shape of that stone looks very distinctive to me...

Radiant has a very differnt look. IMO, if you like the cushion cut, I think you'd be fine going with it at 2 ct.

Good luck!

cushion ring

Chris1

Rough_Rock
Thank you Robyn12 for your opinion and the link to the cushion ring.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will the cushion cuts be square? I surely agree with the 2cts lower boud: 7-8mm diamter would make squareness show even on the ears, esp. if 6 prong settings do not stand in the way. Those are going to be awesome ! Best of luck!

Chris1

Rough_Rock
Valeria101

Yes, definitely more square-shaped cushion to have a balance all around the earlobes. I saw a pair of cushion-cut diamond studs of 2 CTW (E color, VS quality), but personally thought that the cushion didn't show well. I am just wondering if 4 CTW will do justice to the beautiful cushion shape.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean... the closer the shape is to a round (as in square cushion versus elongated ones) the worse the confusion. I would surely say that at 1ct/stone the cushion shapes look dangerously round. Bouble that weight, and confusion is not that likely. Can you get to see a 2cts square cusion diamond? Those look non-round to me, but I have no way of tellig how would they look to you though.

One more thing though: if you have started at E-VS, you could most likely drop some of that color and clarity and get bigger stones with the shape you desire. No idea how bad this souds to you, but SI2 is great for earrings, in no matter what color: some of these stones would be eye clean to begin with and not too many woud inspect your ears close enough anyway. G-H SI2 might be a reasonable compromise which will keap the white & clear appearence when size is important. Your choice of shape is spectacular to begin with, E-VS sounds like overkill. All these choice cannot really be detailed in absence of a budget, but size may really be more important than whatever those paper grades are. Not too many people would consider G color "tinted" or SI too bad for earrings, simply because the look is there.

But this is just my 0.2 and your $$$ and earrings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results