shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Brilliant Help Needed

lukite

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been a silent listener (lurker) on the forums for sometime and I REALLY appreciate the incredible amount of information here.
I am looking for a cushion stone and taking advice from here, I contacted Mark ERD (Engagementringsdirect) and Jon GOG (goodoldgold) and I have mostly narrowed it down to this stone:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7912/
With video here:
http://www.vimeo.com/26937020

I’d like to use everyone’s help in evaluating this stone, please!
- Is this a good buy overall?

- I am totally fine with an eye clean SI2. Noting that this is an SI2, I want to make sure it is eye clean. I am not able to find the inclusions on the video. Am I missing something that I might later wish I had seen? Please feel free to point out WHATEVER. I am quick to admit that I am relatively naïve at this, compared to the gurus here!

- Does this have the bow-tie or the maltese cross? I am not educated enough on this but it looks like a bow tie to me. Is this generally a bad thing or a good thing.

- Anything else you guys can think of? The good? The bad? The ugly?

- Finally, does anyone have experience with GOG on building custom settings? We are looking at a Halo setting with them and I didn’t see a lot of feedback on that on PS. Most people seem to buy the stone from GOG and source the setting elsewhere. We found a good setting that they can build and the pricing is reasonable. Just curious why most people go elsewhere for settings even after getting the AVC stone.

Overall, I keep reminding myself that the most important thing is that we are in a happy loving relationship. If my fiance got a rubber band for a ring, she says she’d still be happy. However, since we are spending this much, we want it to be the best possible!

Thanks in advance for your help!

mogster

Shiny_Rock
It looks like you've got an August Vintage Cushion picked out. I do not have one, but from the pictures that I've seen, they're very beautiful. It's a branded cut that was developed to have amazing light return so I do not think that you can go wrong. Are you looking for a cushion brilliant specifically (because AVCs are of the old mine brilliant cutting style)?

lukite

Rough_Rock
More Details

Adding pictures. I hope there are no copy right issues around this!

Still looking for opinions. Please share your thoughts...

ASET_11.jpg

Cushion%20Brilliant.jpg

AGS_1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think you can go wrong with an AVC...they are lovely!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an AVC and yes the Maltese Cross is very prominent. That's not a bad thing - it's supposed to be that way. The AVC's were designed for maximum light performance, which they do very well, but be aware that it is a very different look than what I think of as a "cushion brilliant" which will show more smaller flashes of light instead of the large fiery on and off flashes of the AVC. This looks like a great stone if this is the style you are looking for!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has GOG said it is eye-clean? If yes, maybe go ahead and purchase it so you can examine it yourself? The 30-day return policy is long enough for you to inspect it and even have an appraiser take a look.

A couple of times in the video I "thought" I saw something that might be the inclusion pointed out on the stone's web-page, but hard to say since the stone is constantly moving and there is glare and flash, etc.

Pattern-wise I see the maltese cross which is part of the AVC design, but I'm not seeing any bowtie (?).

eta = I have seen posts by people who purchased both stone and setting by GOG and they have been very pleased. I believe that GOG gives a price break if you purchase both from them and perhaps waives the setting fee? Not sure, but worth discussing with them.

lukite

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!
Yes, Jon said it is eye-clean. Here is his quote in response to the question "is it eye clean"?:

"From a normal viewing distance yes. If you actively look for it you may see it."

I'd like to have the stone in the setting and they said once you do that, there is no return. From Jon's credibility on PS, I feel safe trusting the process but I cant trust anyone 100%. Do you think it makes sense to have the stone sent to me first and delay the setting a little?

Thanks again!!!

lukite

Rough_Rock
Good Old Gold setting

One more thing, does anyone have personal experiences with GOG for the engagement ring setting? We are working with Marie at goodoldgold for a setting similar to below:

halo_0.jpg

I searched the forums here and most people seem to go elsewhere (notably Leon) for their rings. Is there a reason to avoid GOG for the ring setting?

Thanks again for the help!!!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a lovely setting!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I have an AVC also, and yes, the maltese cross is noticeable- it's supposed to be. It's not dark at all though. The big facets that make up the cross light up constantly, making the really eye catching chunky fire you want in these types of cuts. You rarely see all four lit up at once though.

No idea about GOG's settings, sorry! It looks like GOG does nice stock or CAD/cast settings- the result is a different look than you'd get with, say, Leon. Leon, SK, & Victor Canera do higher end, and thus more expensive, work with a higher degree of finish than you'd get with GOG. Unless you compare them right next to each other, I suspect the average person would be quite satisfied with the sort of workmanship you'd get with a place like GOG- that is, the nicer, better done end of CAD/cast work. Caveat, I'm just guessing as I haven't seen GOG's work in person- but that's what you would get through most of GOG's competitors like Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds etc. With the work like Leon's etc. you would get slightly more refined lines, more evenly, closely set micropave, and smaller millgrain, tinier prongs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results