shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Advice/Thoughts

Iadbound

Rough_Rock
In the market for a modern cushion between 2.5 ct and 3.1 ct. GF prefers D-F. Probably looking for VS2 or better as well. Other than that, I've got flexibility. . .LOL. BTW, I'm trying to keep it under $35,000 if possible.

I've spotted this diamond on JA and Adiamor (they appear to be the same diamond based on GIA #). GF likes the crushed ice look and lots of fire. Haven't asked JA for an ASET yet.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.80-carat-e-color-if-clarity-sku-2878241
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.80-ct-E -IF-Excellent-Cut-Cushion-Diamond/D40430237

Comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
That's a $4k difference for the same stone! Crazy. I'm not a crushed ice fan but I'm sure others will chime in. :)

Iadbound

Rough_Rock
Agreed. The price difference is odd. I suspect that the lower price won't stand if I order it.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi! For a cushion with that facet pattern its not bad- what you want to look out for in cushions like this is "mushy" spots- usually around the center you will see grayish, due to all the facets kind of blobbing together. In this stone, the tiny facets are still fairly crisp so thats good. If she likes this style (and BTW, a LOT of people outside PS do lol) this is a pretty good one. The IF is overkill though...yikes. And while it doesn't face up small, it doesn't face up as large as it could. With a budget like that, have you reached out to some specific vendors to help you find a stone ? Or are you just looking yourself? In that size/ spec and price, you would probably be able to find more selection by having someone help you.

Good luck!

*edit* actually it faces up ok for size. its the clarity driving the price up

Karlien

Rough_Rock
Hi

The above cushion is great, however I would suggest you try to find a signature Ideal cut cushion. There are at least 3 vendors that I can think of who has signature cushions. Also watch the Good Old Gold video's on YouTube explaining differences between G/H/I colors, it will be insightful.

I have ad this experience and the E/IF is great but overkill in my opinion. My first diamond was a F/VVS1 and small, my first upgrade was a G/VS1 cushion and faced up smaller than my friend's ACA but I lost the ring and am now looking for a H/I VS2. Mainly because I know that if the cut is great it will face up nearly the same, fit in the budget and is bigger than my lost diamond.

Good luck

Iadbound

Rough_Rock
dollyanjuli - I am looking myself right now, but I'm open to suggestions on a vendor. IF is probably overkill, but I figure it kept popping up and I kept being drawn to it for some reason. Thus, I asked for the feedback.

Karlien -- Thanks for advice. Signature cushions are intriguing. I've looked at a couple of sites (e.g., GOG) but didn't see anything that struck my fancy. Reaching out to them sounds reasonable though.

As for the color, I'm sticking with the D-F because it's one of her top priorities. After that it's cut and size, etc.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
if she wants a crushed ice cushion, most of the signature cushions out will not fit her taste. Several of them are cut to be optically perfect versions of antique cushions, others have strong "X" patterns and are meant to be top "modern" cuts. For cushions with a more scattered pattern, you will be fine just asking some of the known vendors for help finding a modified cushion with no mush- Diamonds by Lauren has been known to carry cushions with this pattern, but i am sure GOG and ID Jewelry would be able to help also. Don't go after all three at once, start with one and see if you can work with them. All should be able to help you.

All of that said, honestly the stone you posted is a good example of this cut. If you love it and its within budget, get an ASET and go from there. If you fiancee is sensitive to specs I think she will appreciate that you got her an IF stone- you can always say something when you propose like " i had to get a flawless stone cuz YOU flawless baby"

;-)

Iadbound

Rough_Rock
Reached out to GOG. Waiting to hear back. I'm thinking the initial stone is a winner. She's seen it online and thought it looked very nice.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Has she seen a crushed ice cushion in person and compared to a chunky facet cushion?

Iadbound

Rough_Rock
No. Not in person.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
out of the stones in the video, YES, the one on the far right i think is the nicest. I like the second one too but i see some consistent dark areas. i prefer the shape of the one on the far right too, really beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results