shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Advice Sought

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thenextsurprise

Rough_Rock
Hey all - Longtime lurker but firstime poster. First off thanks to everyone who takes time to post here. It is such a helpful, useful treasure trove of information that i am deeply appreciative of. It has helped me get to this point... i am almost ready to pull the trigger on the following stone... the stats are below

Carats: 1.12
Cut: Very Good
Color: D
Clarity: IF
Ratio 1.25
Depth: 66.8
Table:58
Girdle:tn-tk
Cutlet: None
Polish and Symmetry: Very Good
GIA Certified
No Flourescence

I plan on setting it in a legacy style bezel mount.

Price on the stone is $6300 which seems good given the specs. My only thoughts have been to maybe go up to 1.5 carats and sacrifice on clarity since it will be a bezel set. Anyone have opinions on this? This diamond is near perfect, but the thought of a little more size is also appealing....

any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

Cheers,
Gabe

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gabe and welcome!

Do you have any photos of the cushion? It''s hard to judge based on numbers alone.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/28/2008 5:15:46 PM
Author:thenextsurprise
Hey all - Longtime lurker but firstime poster. First off thanks to everyone who takes time to post here. It is such a helpful, useful treasure trove of information that i am deeply appreciative of. It has helped me get to this point... i am almost ready to pull the trigger on the following stone... the stats are below

Ratio 1.25
GIA Certified
No Flourescence

Price on the stone is $6300 which seems good given the specs. My only thoughts have been to maybe go up to 1.5 carats and sacrifice on clarity since it will be a bezel set. Anyone have opinions on this? This diamond is near perfect, but the thought of a little more size is also appealing....

Cheers,
Gabe
Something is fishy
40.gif

Open both eyes!!!!!

And I am not even talking about the look of the Gem
31.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2008 5:34:49 PM
Author: DiaGem

Ratio 1.25

GIA Certified

No Flourescence

Cheers,

Gabe
Something is fishy
40.gif

Open both eyes!!!!!

31.gif

Agreed. Something isn''t right here. Where is this diamond being offered?

thenextsurprise

Rough_Rock
Hey all - Further information... I found this stone browsing through the premium loose diamond section at engagementringsdirect.com which I thought was a reputable source based on reading on this site. Since I live in new york, I was going to visit in person to take a look.

Guessing by the response, this may be too good to be true...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2008 6:53:49 PM
Author: thenextsurprise
Hey all - Further information... I found this stone browsing through the premium loose diamond section at engagementringsdirect.com which I thought was a reputable source based on reading on this site. Since I live in new york, I was going to visit in person to take a look.

Guessing by the response, this may be too good to be true...

Huh. Interesting. I wonder if it's a typo then. Certainly does seem too good to be true, but at the same time Mark is a wonderful and honest vendor (my ring in my avatar is from him), so it wouldn't be an intentional rip off. I would just ask Mark about it. He'll be honest with you.

thenextsurprise

Rough_Rock
thanks - would you happen to have his (mark''s) direct contact information?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2008 6:41:58 PM
Author: neatfreak

Ratio 1.25

GIA Certified

No Flourescence

Cheers,

Gabe
Something is fishy
40.gif

Open both eyes!!!!!

31.gif

Agreed. Something isn't right here. Where is this diamond being offered?
Threegreed...

I think the email info for Mark is [email protected]

See if that works, if not then Neat should have the right info when she comes in later.

Phone # - 1-877-342-7464

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 3:02:10 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 11/28/2008 6:41:58 PM

Ratio 1.25

GIA Certified

No Flourescence

Cheers,

Gabe
Something is fishy
40.gif

Open both eyes!!!!!

31.gif

Agreed. Something isn''t right here. Where is this diamond being offered?

Threegreed...

I think the email info for Mark is [email protected]

See if that works, if not then Neat should have the right info when she comes in later.

Phone # - 1-877-342-7464

That should be the right contact info. But remember that it''s Saturday and most of the diamond district is closed today. Mark may or may not respond before next week. And try calling if you can it''s easier to get the info you need that way.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Neat and good morning!
35.gif

thenextsurprise

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I''ll be giving him a ring. Another quick question - from what i have read it seems that most on here in cushion world have seemed willing to go lower on clarity (as far down as SI2) on cushions. Considering i am planning on a bezel set, would you agree that clarity is of less importance than color/cut for a cushion in general? I am just preparing myself for the inevitability that the stone reference in this column is too good to be true, and thinking i can go up in carat, and down in clarity and not sacrifice much. Obviously would want to keep color/cut at d/e and very good.

Thanks!

Gabe

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 9:49:42 AM
Thanks, I'll be giving him a ring. Another quick question - from what i have read it seems that most on here in cushion world have seemed willing to go lower on clarity (as far down as SI2) on cushions. Considering i am planning on a bezel set, would you agree that clarity is of less importance than color/cut for a cushion in general? I am just preparing myself for the inevitability that the stone reference in this column is too good to be true, and thinking i can go up in carat, and down in clarity and not sacrifice much. Obviously would want to keep color/cut at d/e and very good.

Thanks!

Gabe

You can drop clarity QUITE a bit from IF and still get a gorgeous stone. How much depends on the stone, but Mark will be able to advise you well. Some people like VS2's for the "mind clean" issue while some people will happily drop down to SI2. It's all a personal preference and depends entirely on the stone itself.

My ring (in my avatar) is similar to what you want (Mark made it BTW) and it's a G VS2. It's a gorgeous stone and you'd never know there were any inclusions or that it wasn't technically "colorless". It's just beautiful!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2008 10:38:01 AM

Date: 11/29/2008 9:49:42 AM
Thanks, I''ll be giving him a ring. Another quick question - from what i have read it seems that most on here in cushion world have seemed willing to go lower on clarity (as far down as SI2) on cushions. Considering i am planning on a bezel set, would you agree that clarity is of less importance than color/cut for a cushion in general? I am just preparing myself for the inevitability that the stone reference in this column is too good to be true, and thinking i can go up in carat, and down in clarity and not sacrifice much. Obviously would want to keep color/cut at d/e and very good.

Thanks!

Gabe

You can drop clarity QUITE a bit from IF and still get a gorgeous stone. How much depends on the stone, but Mark will be able to advise you well. Some people like VS2''s for the ''mind clean'' issue while some people will happily drop down to SI2. It''s all a personal preference and depends entirely on the stone itself.

My ring (in my avatar) is similar to what you want (Mark made it BTW) and it''s a G VS2. It''s a gorgeous stone and you''d never know there were any inclusions or that it wasn''t technically ''colorless''. It''s just beautiful!
Ditto!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results