Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion view.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Hello all,

Just completed a test on a natural orange colored Diamond. I find the image intriguing and wanted to share.
Its an image showing a completed pear brilliant pavilion through a crown-less Diamond cut..., (e.g. a face up view showing how the pavilion of a brilliant cut pear will appear if there was only a table facet with no crown facets, ugf's or star facets.)

In the image: The Diamond placed in a (cemented) position in a special dop in order to cut the huge table facet

Enjoy...

crownlesspear_0.jpg
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,631
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

It sort of reminds me of a rose cut diamond. This would be pretty set pavilion up.
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

diamondseeker2006|1453312301|3978627 said:
It sort of reminds me of a rose cut diamond. This would be pretty set pavilion up.
I plan on cutting the crown portion now, but I agree that it does show up as an illusion of a type of Rose Cut.
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,187
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Kewl stone Yoram!!

A profile view would really help with perspective- it's hard for me to tell which side of the stone is up in the picture
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Rockdiamond|1453330574|3978786 said:
Kewl stone Yoram!!

A profile view would really help with perspective- it's hard for me to tell which side of the stone is up in the picture
David..., you are right. I am under-estimating the power of Diamond's Optical Illusions... :angel:
Here is a (kinda) profile view of the Diamond on the polishing wheel...., there goes my illusion ;-)

crownlesspeardop1.jpg

A bit closer as well.

crownlesspeardop1a.jpg
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,678
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Cool...so that really thick girdle is going to turn into the crown? I love seeing partial steps and how things are done. When
you cut the crown is the table automatically there or do you have to do more "cutting" to get the table? I assuming that
whatever is left after you cut the crown is the table...probably wrong though :(sad .
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

tyty333|1453381598|3979027 said:
Cool...so that really thick girdle is going to turn into the crown? I love seeing partial steps and how things are done. When
you cut the crown is the table automatically there or do you have to do more "cutting" to get the table? I assuming that
whatever is left after you cut the crown is the table...probably wrong though :(sad .
Yes tyty333, you are right, the girdle thickness will turn into both the crown & table of this Diamond.
If the table facet will need more cutting will depend on its fissures, but it will need polishing for sure.
Image showing potential reason for additional cutting of the table facet after crown facet placement.

feather_table.jpg
 

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
3,191
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Fascinating thread Yoram. Even those of us that have been deeply involved in the industry for decades do not know the intricacies, considerations and complications of the work you do. It gives us all additional insight and appreciation for your craft. Thank you!

Can you give us more specs on this particular stone? What was the rough like, projected yields, predicted color/clarity etc.

I would assume that sacrificing crown fullness is a fairly easy compromise, even maybe preferable, for a saturated fancy color. Fire would be suppressed anyway due to body color and so is not a goal of the design. Not sure how a bigger crown would play with ray lengths to enhance or diminish aparent color (?).

Look forward to following this project!
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Texas Leaguer|1453389966|3979086 said:
Fascinating thread Yoram. Even those of us that have been deeply involved in the industry for decades do not know the intricacies, considerations and complications of the work you do. It gives us all additional insight and appreciation for your craft. Thank you!

Can you give us more specs on this particular stone? What was the rough like, projected yields, predicted color/clarity etc.

I would assume that sacrificing crown fullness is a fairly easy compromise, even maybe preferable, for a saturated fancy color. Fire would be suppressed anyway due to body color and so is not a goal of the design. Not sure how a bigger crown would play with ray lengths to enhance or diminish aparent color (?).

Look forward to following this project!
Thank you for your kind words Bryan, I try to bring unique cutting process stories because this is my day to day working environment.
Cant give you exact specs from the top of my head as I have quite a few of these on the wheel at the moment, but I will attach two images showing the type of rough I utilize for these.

colored_rough1.jpg

colored_rough2.jpg

As you can see for yourself these Rough crystals are pretty saturated with color so darkening them is not the main issue here. Actually i am aiming towards cutting them to real old-charm visual appearances, just like cutters did in the old days. The pears will end up pretty flat thus loosing quite a lot of weight during the process, I would dare estimate an average yield of 25-35%.
I might not agree with you about the fire being suppressed simply because this facet design incorporates large chunky facets which have the ability to shoot out quite lovely flashes of colorful fire even on such saturated material..

Obviously I will attempt to prove this as they are completed. It will be hard with no videos.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,631
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Well I want one of those old charm light yellow stones that you are cutting! I'll just have a Yoram collection!
 

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
3,191
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

That's quite a bag of magic rocks you got there Yoram. They look good enough to eat! (and if you turned your back on the wrong person that actually might happen ) :naughty:

Seriously though, when you look at all those hues, shades and shapes, it is mind boggling how complicated it must be just to determine the best approach to cut design in order to maximize beauty and value. And then, like the current challenge with the feather parallel to the table, you have to factor in various clarity features, not to mention cleavage planes and polishing directions. And the cost of rough is so dear that mistakes in design OR execution can be financially disastrous.

You guys must have nerves of steel to go along with your talent and skill!
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,187
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Texas Leaguer|1453403465|3979240 said:
That's quite a bag of magic rocks you got there Yoram. They look good enough to eat! (and if you turned your back on the wrong person that actually might happen ) :naughty:

Seriously though, when you look at all those hues, shades and shapes, it is mind boggling how complicated it must be just to determine the best approach to cut design in order to maximize beauty and value. And then, like the current challenge with the feather parallel to the table, you have to factor in various clarity features, not to mention cleavage planes and polishing directions. And the cost of rough is so dear that mistakes in design OR execution can be financially disastrous.

You guys must have nerves of steel to go along with your talent and skill!
Great point Bryan- you would NOT want to play poker with Yoram :naughty:

Seriously, I agree. When you think about some of the stones Yoram , and other cutters, work on- which can easily go into the millions of dollars.... You need those nerves of steel!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

It's just beautiful. I love the whiskey color and that lovely flowery pavilion.
I wish I could have any one of those stones cut by you. Such a larbor of love. That profile view is really enlightening too. So cool. Thanks so much for sharing.
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,496
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

hmm if the crown was higher that would rock a checker board crown.
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

diamondseeker2006|1453400217|3979200 said:
Well I want one of those old charm light yellow stones that you are cutting! I'll just have a Yoram collection!
Thank you for such a compliment ds. Coming from you it means a lot. :saint:
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Texas Leaguer|1453403465|3979240 said:
That's quite a bag of magic rocks you got there Yoram. They look good enough to eat! (and if you turned your back on the wrong person that actually might happen ) :naughty:

Based on my life long experiences, you are 100% correct, how did you know? :devil:
Seriously though, when you look at all those hues, shades and shapes, it is mind boggling how complicated it must be just to determine the best approach to cut design in order to maximize beauty and value. And then, like the current challenge with the feather parallel to the table, you have to factor in various clarity features, not to mention cleavage planes and polishing directions. And the cost of rough is so dear that mistakes in design OR execution can be financially disastrous.

You guys must have nerves of steel to go along with your talent and skill!
Bryan, nerves of steel turn into softer nuances with life's experiences, you never get used to disastrous consequences but life definitely teaches you to take things thrown at you with perspectives.
In order to reach such high levels of skill in our industry one must learn from mistakes. I always say, if you learn from your mistakes then you will be on the right track. But if you don't...., put a helmet on :wall:
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Rockdiamond|1453405988|3979263 said:
Texas Leaguer|1453403465|3979240 said:
That's quite a bag of magic rocks you got there Yoram. They look good enough to eat! (and if you turned your back on the wrong person that actually might happen ) :naughty:

Seriously though, when you look at all those hues, shades and shapes, it is mind boggling how complicated it must be just to determine the best approach to cut design in order to maximize beauty and value. And then, like the current challenge with the feather parallel to the table, you have to factor in various clarity features, not to mention cleavage planes and polishing directions. And the cost of rough is so dear that mistakes in design OR execution can be financially disastrous.

You guys must have nerves of steel to go along with your talent and skill!
Great point Bryan- you would NOT want to play poker with Yoram :naughty:

Seriously, I agree. When you think about some of the stones Yoram , and other cutters, work on- which can easily go into the millions of dollars.... You need those nerves of steel!
I am actually a terrible poker player..., the only poker I am willing to play is the old-school five card game. Texas Holdem is not for me...
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Gypsy|1453427992|3979450 said:
It's just beautiful. I love the whiskey color and that lovely flowery pavilion.
I wish I could have any one of those stones cut by you. Such a larbor of love. That profile view is really enlightening too. So cool. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thank you Gypsy, actually the color we currently see (in the pics) are a bit misleading because of the dirt collected during the cutting process, in the face up image above one can clearly see all the dirt attached to the Diamond while it's being worked on. Only when completed we deep boil the Diamonds to get rid of all excessive dirt. Only then the true color reveals itself....
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Karl_K|1453436351|3979528 said:
hmm if the crown was higher that would rock a checker board crown.
I leave checker board faceting to colored Gems. On Diamonds I would always prefer a rose cut type of crown....
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,678
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Will you post a picture of the finished stone? I would love to see
How it turns out.

I'm loving those honey colored stones in the middle of your pic and the ones on the right had side. Beautiful mix of colors!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

DiaGem|1453451381|3979595 said:
Gypsy|1453427992|3979450 said:
It's just beautiful. I love the whiskey color and that lovely flowery pavilion.
I wish I could have any one of those stones cut by you. Such a larbor of love. That profile view is really enlightening too. So cool. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thank you Gypsy, actually the color we currently see (in the pics) are a bit misleading because of the dirt collected during the cutting process, in the face up image above one can clearly see all the dirt attached to the Diamond while it's being worked on. Only when completed we deep boil the Diamonds to get rid of all excessive dirt. Only then the true color reveals itself....

I had no idea. I hope you'll post pictures of the diamond throughout the process. I can't wait to watch this unfold. You are so talented.
 

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
666
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Deep boil can I put my diamond rings in the kettle to clean them!
 

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
153
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

So fascinating! We would love to see more of the process! Even my DH who doesn't get my diamond obsession loves these types of threads! Thank you for sharing them with us!
 

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
943
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

What an amazing thread. It is so I intriguing to see the process. I wish I could own one of your beautiful stones....I would even take a little mistake!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,938
Re: Curious, a crown-less pear brilliant face-up pavilion vi

Hi, thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate. I will definitely show how the progress evolves as I move forward.
Thank you,
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top