shape
carat
color
clarity

Cuprian or Rubellite in LOGR or neither??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an 8.3 mm cuprian tourmaline and a 9mm rubellite (both ebay purchases - the cuprian from a long time ago). I have been wanting to find a stone for my LOGR for a long time, prefereably a cushion, but I'm pretty much giving up on that because I'll never find an 8mm cushion. In any case, here are the two round stones showcased in my LOGR. Yay to one or the other? Nay to both? Picture taken in dim diffused sunlight. I was going to have my jeweler build prongs in the corners.

Sorry for the crappy picture. I'm planning on getting another camera. This one just doesn't cut it, and that's why I asked about cameras in the forum today.

TLrubecuprianLOGR.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another crappy picture of the stones in the gem case side by side. The rubellite has lavender purple highlights, but you cannot see them here. It''s a bit sleepy, but I love the color.

Picture taken in dim diffused sunlight.

TLrubeandcuprian.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man, I just love that cuprian . . . that will be my vote!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the stones in incandescent lighting. Sorry for all the lint all over the stone box.

TLrubecuprianincandescent.JPG

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 1:47:08 PM
Author:tourmaline_lover
I have an 8.3 mm cuprian tourmaline and a 9mm rubellite (both ebay purchases - the cuprian from a long time ago). I have been wanting to find a stone for my LOGR for a long time, prefereably a cushion, but I''m pretty much giving up on that because I''ll never find an 8mm cushion. In any case, here are the two round stones showcased in my LOGR. Yay to one or the other? Nay to both? Picture taken in dim diffused sunlight. I was going to have my jeweler build prongs in the corners.

Sorry for the crappy picture. I''m planning on getting another camera. This one just doesn''t cut it, and that''s why I asked about cameras in the forum today.

Have you asked Barry? That pink/orange shifting tourmaline he cut for me was an 8mm square cushion...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a pure bright pink/red rubellite, no orange modifier. That''s the problem. It seems too difficult to come by pure red/pink rubellites, let alone those that are in 8mm cushion shapes. Barry cut me an 8mm garnet, but it ended up being too dark for my setting. It needs a prong setting.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
TL, I remember your 8 mm cushion problem from other threads - how come you didn''t have one custom cut in, say, another malaya
9.gif

On a side note, I really don''t think either of these would actually work (you''d still have a round stone in a cushion halo), but I could be wrong
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Malayas are too brown for me, and I want a reddish pink stone in here.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL I''ve got to agree with Mr Ma re. I''m not sure that either of those stones will make a good "fit". I love them both (two of my favourite gemstones) BUT I think you''re compromising too much. Wait for the cushion cut to turn up. It will - you''ll just need a bit more patience!

If you really can''t wait, then my vote is for the Cuprian because the Rubellite (although a lovely colour) is too sleepy and might nod off completely once set :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2009 2:26:00 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
TL I''ve got to agree with Mr Ma re. I''m not sure that either of those stones will make a good ''fit''. I love them both (two of my favourite gemstones) BUT I think you''re compromising too much. Wait for the cushion cut to turn up. It will - you''ll just need a bit more patience!

If you really can''t wait, then my vote is for the Cuprian because the Rubellite (although a lovely colour) is too sleepy and might nod off completely once set :)
Thanks LD, Mr. Ma Rae, and everyone else for your thoughts. I appreciate them. I guess I''ll have to have more patience! The rubellite is bit sleepy, but the color is really really nice and it looks much better than my horrible pictures.
8.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I agree .. love both stones but not in the LOGR setting.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color of the cuprian :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Charmy, MTG.

The Cuprian looks much better IRL. Oh well, need a new camera.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote Culprian too...but not in that setting. It looks like you are trying to set round peg in a square opening. I think you would be disappointed if you did that. Both the stones are gorgeous! I take it you are off to find another LOGR setting?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks CCN.

The only settings he has for an 8mm round are ugly or super overpriced. There's one I love, but it's $800, and I hate spending that kind of $$ on a setting. I rather spend it on the gems! I'm a fan of round stones in square halos anyways - it reminds me of art deco jewelry.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The cuprian for sure.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2009 2:26:00 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
TL I've got to agree with Mr Ma re. I'm not sure that either of those stones will make a good 'fit'. I love them both (two of my favourite gemstones) BUT I think you're compromising too much. Wait for the cushion cut to turn up. It will - you'll just need a bit more patience!

If you really can't wait, then my vote is for the Cuprian because the Rubellite (although a lovely colour) is too sleepy and might nod off completely once set :)
This made me laugh
9.gif
both are such pretty stones.... yep... wait it out if you can
36.gif

ETA: although I just saw you said that you are a fan of round in Halo... then go for it! yeah....

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2009 4:24:58 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Thanks CCN.

The only settings he has for an 8mm round are ugly or super overpriced. There''s one I love, but it''s $800, and I hate spending that kind of $$ on a setting. I rather spend it on the gems! I''m a fan of round stones in square halos anyways - it reminds me of art deco jewelry.

I too like the round stones set into a square halo....but only if it is going to look like the setting was made for the stone. I know they can customize their settings to fit your stone..... I guess you didn''t want to take a chance on that? What about trying to find a setting that already has a round stone in it and you could take that stone out and put one of these into it. That is what I am doing with my blue zircon. I too hate to put huge money into a setting, especially if the stone is not going to look right.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I"m currently looking for a used round setting I like - no luck. I think the cuprian might look better in yellow gold though. It brings out some green in it, and I love a little green in my cuprians.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CCN,
Thank you so much for searching for those for me. Believe it or not, it''s more than I want to spend. I''m a cheapskate when it comes to settings. I don''t want to go beyond $300 for a setting, and I would like it to be preferably a halo style, especially a deco halo style. The above dealer I don''t trust after Yingh exposed him selling pictures of Knoxjeweler''s rings. The second ring is pretty, but too much.

I just won a used 40 point diamond 14K white gold setting on ebay for $120, so I''m thrilled, but I''m going to set my pink spinel in there. I really want more of a halo for this stone. If only LOGR made more 8mm round settings. They have one halo for $218, but I don''t care much for it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry TL but both stones are begging to be set in yellow gold. I think the yellow metal will make their colour much richer.
7.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 1:57:23 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here''s the stones in incandescent lighting. Sorry for all the lint all over the stone box.
AWESOME!!!
30.gif

Lori

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono thanks for the honest opinion.

Thanks Lori!

Thanks LTP (up up above).
9.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The two stones are too awesome to go in a setting that isn''t perfect for them.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The two stones are too awesome to go in a setting that is less than perfect for it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Charmy. Actually I absolutely LOVE that setting, especially for what I paid, but I guess these stones were not meant to be in there. I''ll go hunting for a yellow gold setting for the cuprian first. I''ve been wanting to set it for some time, but I spend all my $$ on gemstones instead. Too bad LOGR''s prices went up super big time. I only want to win them on auction now.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
In terms of percentage, how much has LOGR''s pricing gone up? This is for the non auction items.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not the same for all settings across the board, but I would say anywhere from 20 to 50%. For example, the 8x8 cushion above had a starting out price of $259 when it was introduced, and it's now $309, which is a hike of $50. In the beginning when he started getting all this popularity from Pricescope, he immediately raised his prices an enormous amount, and also the diamond upgrade went up from $199 to $249/ct. The one famed LTP OEC setting was like $198 or something like that, and he raised it to over $300
23.gif
. Then he realized that people stopped buying, so he dropped prices and then started slowly raising them. He puts out several listings with the same setting, but at different price points, to test the waters I would imagine. Everyone is entitled to make $$, but he is raising the prices substantially, but over a longer period of time now. I have noticed that most people just bid on his auctions though. There are some settings that he does not put on auction however, and that stinks because I hate paying the BIN price.
14.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
If you put the round stones in the 8mm ring setting, will the corner edges show?? Those stones are so pretty, and I agree, it would be purfect in a gold setting. JMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results