shape
carat
color
clarity

Cultural question on colourless diamonds :)

T Louise A

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I hope this isn't a silly question. But I have noticed on this forum that people talk about "cultural" reasons regarding diamond colour and I was wondering if some cultures require or prefer colourless/ flawless diamonds?
This is just a general question. No offence intended. Please pardon my ignorance I am just interested :read:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some Asian cultures value high colour and clarity because it denotes purity )and also means that he spent a lot of money on the diamond. :bigsmile: )

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bling101|1455879517|3992843 said:
Hi,

I hope this isn't a silly question. But I have noticed on this forum that people talk about "cultural" reasons regarding diamond colour and I was wondering if some cultures require or prefer colourless/ flawless diamonds?
This is just a general question. No offence intended. Please pardon my ignorance I am just interested :read:

Hi Bling101 – I'll just give one cultural example - there are many, but I tend to ramble on as it is... :doh:
Quality considerations rank very high among the Chinese. Chinese customers are very keen on the best quality. They would prefer to buy a small diamond that has a D colour, instead of something larger that is an I colour. Also, clarity in a diamond is representative of purity, and many will only accept very high clarity, again happily choosing a smaller IF over a much larger VS1.

Traditionally, the Chinese have had a strong preference for 24kt gold jewellery because of its inherent value and their cultural affinity for purity. However, as disposable incomes rise, I reckon we’ll see a higher percentage of platinum jewellery because its natural white colour and durability are seen as a symbol for purity and a lifelong commitment in the Chinese culture.

Certain numbers are also believed by some to be auspicious, and numbers have always played a significant role in Chinese culture. The number 8 contains meanings of fortune, prosperity, success and high social status. Nothing emphasises the great importance of the number 8 in the lives of the Chinese than the fact that when they mounted their spectacular 2008 Beijing Olympics opening show, they held the opening ceremony at exactly 8:08:08 pm on 8/8/08.
I often get asked for specific diamond sizes/ct weights - 0.88cts for example is a popular request – or mm sizes with an 8 somewhere - while anything with a 4 in it anywhere is always knocked back.
Hope this helps

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix, :wavey:

Could you please share your experiences on this? I remember you saying that different places in Asia (Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, India, etc.) have very different preferences on diamonds in the "Help with a 5ct+ ring" thread." Thank you!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I VS2, in Vancouver. This is almost religous. When I walk in to any decent BM store, they automatically suggest I VS2.
Or anything from Tiffany or Cartier in Korea/Vancouver

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
flyingpig|1455912819|3993009 said:
I VS2, in Vancouver. This is almost religous. When I walk in to any decent BM store, they automatically suggest I VS2.

I, VS1? That's pretty generous! I'm Chinese and many of my friends would never go beyond "H"! A " G" is pretty common amongst my friends. I had my ring made by a jeweler in Vancouver Chinatown and my center stone was an " I" but they couldn't lower my melee color (they only carried D-F).

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jerichosmom|1455942106|3993191 said:
flyingpig|1455912819|3993009 said:

I, VS1? That's pretty generous! I'm Chinese and many of my friends would never go beyond "H"! A " G" is pretty common amongst my friends. I had my ring made by a jeweler in Vancouver Chinatown and my center stone was an " I" but they couldn't lower my melee color (they only carried D-F).

I went to Spence on Burrard for my ring, and asked for J VS1. The diamond expert exactly said "we don't carry that. It is a cheap combo".
I almost asked her to bring the best 1ct diamond in the house, and compared to my fiance's AGS0 and prove J VS1 is an optically cheap combo..

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Ha ha! I worked at Spence briefly.....around 20 years ago! Their presentations actually guide the consumer towards I , VS stones. They rarely have any top cut/floor/clarity in stock and would need to order them in for a fee. Not sure if anything has changed since then but I still love the open concept shopping experience. The most popular sample rings would go missing all the time!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jerichosmom|1456035686|3993569 said:
Ha ha! I worked at Spence briefly.....around 20 years ago! Their presentations actually guide the consumer towards I , VS stones. They rarely have any top cut/floor/clarity in stock and would need to order them in for a fee. Not sure if anything has changed since then but I still love the open concept shopping experience. The most popular sample rings would go missing all the time!

Yeap. I like that concept. In fact, it has been helpful that I can try different rings with no pressure. All employees are welcoming and respectful... until you start talk about DIAMONDS.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1456288867|3994779 said:
ADN|1455889738|3992883 said:
...I tend to ramble on as it is... :doh:

:lol:

This was a great post, by the way. Enjoyed it.

Thanks mate :lol:

T Louise A

Rough_Rock
@ADN, Chrono
Thanks you so much for your answers, I really Appreciate it :wavey:
I have learnt so much on this forum its fantastic! And I love a good 'ramble' or rant :lol:
Thanks to everyone who replied to me :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results