shape
carat
color
clarity

Cultural question on colourless diamonds :)

T Louise A

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I hope this isn't a silly question. But I have noticed on this forum that people talk about "cultural" reasons regarding diamond colour and I was wondering if some cultures require or prefer colourless/ flawless diamonds?
This is just a general question. No offence intended. Please pardon my ignorance I am just interested :read:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some Asian cultures value high colour and clarity because it denotes purity )and also means that he spent a lot of money on the diamond. :bigsmile: )

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bling101|1455879517|3992843 said:
Hi,

I hope this isn't a silly question. But I have noticed on this forum that people talk about "cultural" reasons regarding diamond colour and I was wondering if some cultures require or prefer colourless/ flawless diamonds?
This is just a general question. No offence intended. Please pardon my ignorance I am just interested :read:

Hi Bling101 – I'll just give one cultural example - there are many, but I tend to ramble on as it is... :doh:
Quality considerations rank very high among the Chinese. Chinese customers are very keen on the best quality. They would prefer to buy a small diamond that has a D colour, instead of something larger that is an I colour. Also, clarity in a diamond is representative of purity, and many will only accept very high clarity, again happily choosing a smaller IF over a much larger VS1.

Traditionally, the Chinese have had a strong preference for 24kt gold jewellery because of its inherent value and their cultural affinity for purity. However, as disposable incomes rise, I reckon we’ll see a higher percentage of platinum jewellery because its natural white colour and durability are seen as a symbol for purity and a lifelong commitment in the Chinese culture.

Certain numbers are also believed by some to be auspicious, and numbers have always played a significant role in Chinese culture. The number 8 contains meanings of fortune, prosperity, success and high social status. Nothing emphasises the great importance of the number 8 in the lives of the Chinese than the fact that when they mounted their spectacular 2008 Beijing Olympics opening show, they held the opening ceremony at exactly 8:08:08 pm on 8/8/08.
I often get asked for specific diamond sizes/ct weights - 0.88cts for example is a popular request – or mm sizes with an 8 somewhere - while anything with a 4 in it anywhere is always knocked back.
Hope this helps

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix, :wavey:

Could you please share your experiences on this? I remember you saying that different places in Asia (Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, India, etc.) have very different preferences on diamonds in the "Help with a 5ct+ ring" thread." Thank you!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I VS2, in Vancouver. This is almost religous. When I walk in to any decent BM store, they automatically suggest I VS2.
Or anything from Tiffany or Cartier in Korea/Vancouver

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
flyingpig|1455912819|3993009 said:
I VS2, in Vancouver. This is almost religous. When I walk in to any decent BM store, they automatically suggest I VS2.

I, VS1? That's pretty generous! I'm Chinese and many of my friends would never go beyond "H"! A " G" is pretty common amongst my friends. I had my ring made by a jeweler in Vancouver Chinatown and my center stone was an " I" but they couldn't lower my melee color (they only carried D-F).

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jerichosmom|1455942106|3993191 said:
flyingpig|1455912819|3993009 said:

I, VS1? That's pretty generous! I'm Chinese and many of my friends would never go beyond "H"! A " G" is pretty common amongst my friends. I had my ring made by a jeweler in Vancouver Chinatown and my center stone was an " I" but they couldn't lower my melee color (they only carried D-F).

I went to Spence on Burrard for my ring, and asked for J VS1. The diamond expert exactly said "we don't carry that. It is a cheap combo".
I almost asked her to bring the best 1ct diamond in the house, and compared to my fiance's AGS0 and prove J VS1 is an optically cheap combo..

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Ha ha! I worked at Spence briefly.....around 20 years ago! Their presentations actually guide the consumer towards I , VS stones. They rarely have any top cut/floor/clarity in stock and would need to order them in for a fee. Not sure if anything has changed since then but I still love the open concept shopping experience. The most popular sample rings would go missing all the time!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jerichosmom|1456035686|3993569 said:
Ha ha! I worked at Spence briefly.....around 20 years ago! Their presentations actually guide the consumer towards I , VS stones. They rarely have any top cut/floor/clarity in stock and would need to order them in for a fee. Not sure if anything has changed since then but I still love the open concept shopping experience. The most popular sample rings would go missing all the time!

Yeap. I like that concept. In fact, it has been helpful that I can try different rings with no pressure. All employees are welcoming and respectful... until you start talk about DIAMONDS.

T Louise A

Rough_Rock
@ADN, Chrono
Thanks you so much for your answers, I really Appreciate it :wavey:
I have learnt so much on this forum its fantastic! And I love a good 'ramble' or rant :lol:
Thanks to everyone who replied to me :love:

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Who was Jean Schlumberger?
    Who was Jean Schlumberger?
    The Jewelry of Disney's Cruella
    The Jewelry of Disney's Cruella
    He Said, "Yes!"
    He Said, "Yes!"

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.