shape
carat
color
clarity

CS Pet Peeves

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pet peeve with trillions, pears and these odd shapes is that often it’s hard to find secure settings for them. Many are only three pronged, and if you don’t have v-prongs or extra thick prongs, you can lose the gem.

Big +1

My only nightmare to date (knock on wood) was in having 2 trillions set. I bought the settings at Intergem and paid the vendor to have the stones set. Like a lot of vendors, he had another booth do the work. The line/wait was long and it was still waiting to be worked on as they closed...the bench clearly rushed. I put the rings on and when I got home, one stone was missing (never to be found). At first I assumed it was my own fault but in examining the other ring, I had my doubts. So I put it in a box to take to a jeweler to be examined and lo and behold - the next time I opened the box, that stone had fallen out. My local bench examined the ring and showed me how one of the prongs was cut too short -and- that setting should have been notched better to fit the stone. It cost me another $100 to have it fixed.

(The original vendor promised to make me whole and when he didn't follow through, I filed a claim with my credit card...which got denied because he claimed "I don't do settings" and covered the part of the receipt which showed I paid him to have it set. My credit care company eventually ruled in my favor but because it was too late to collect from him, they told me I had to claim the refund as revenue. With all the evidence, Intergem later made me whole financially...but despite them admitting they had other complaints against the guy, the vendor still shows there. This whole thing still causes me angst every time I see him there. Now when I go, I will only make larger purchases with the handful of vendors I've done business with for decades).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How dark saphires are generally in this country (how dark my saphires are)

The high price we pay for very mediocre gems in this country especially when so much is manufactured in very low wage countries

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
+1 more on the metaphors and hyperbole.

I also don't like being told "it looks exactly like the photo" there is no way any stone is gonna look the same in equatorial light as it does in dreary office lighting.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a few trillion colored stones, and the quality of the cut on them is good, but IDK they don't resonate with my happy place as well as a round would. Plus, a few years ago a student called my trillions my illuminati jewelry, and now I can't wear it without feeling super self conscious that someone half my age is judging me for it. :lol:

But, I do have to say, pears are my pet peeve shape. Those are the ones I'm like "why isn't this just a round?"

You could wear your trillions together with your B grade jadeite bangle when you go to another rave. All the people half your age would be too busy "raving" to notice your jewelry!!! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

I've never been to a rave, but I understand stuff happens that allows many of the ravers to find their happy places! :mrgreen2:

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
You could wear your trillions together with your B grade jadeite bangle when you go to another rave. All the people half your age would be too busy "raving" to notice your jewelry!!! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

I've never been to a rave, but I understand stuff happens that allows many of the ravers to find their happy places! :mrgreen2:

Hahaha! I don't know if 20-somethings or I would be more mortified to see me at a rave these days. Maybe I should just sell these pieces as youthful party jewelry on Etsy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How dark saphires are generally in this country (how dark my saphires are)

The high price we pay for very mediocre gems in this country especially when so much is manufactured in very low wage countries

That’s another pet peeve of mine. I used to be really guilty of it too. People often perceive that the darker a gem, the more desirable it is. It is the “saturation of color” that determines desirability. Tone affects saturation if it’s way too light or dark, but there are many light toned stones with fabulous saturation. I think the “Diana ring” also was the reason why so many overly dark and unsaturated blue sapphires sold for $$$$$.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
My biggest CS pet peeve is actually more to do with the vendors. I've noticed that diamond vendors are predominately transparent with their pricing while many CS vendors are "contact for pricing info," which I consider a deal breaker. In my opinion, it's a practice vendors use to hide inconsistent pricing.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hahaha! I don't know if 20-somethings or I would be more mortified to see me at a rave these days. Maybe I should just sell these pieces as youthful party jewelry on Etsy.

DW has a trillion ring and it's one of her favorites. The three prongs are quite hefty but I think they go well with the rather chunky setting.

@MissSarah my wife can attest that you definitely don't have to be young to wear a trillion. She gets a lot of complements on this ring. Maybe you could try your trillions another spin?

I didn't have any photos to share previously, but she wore it today. So voila!

5.00ct Blue Trillion Ring 3.jpg

5.00ct Blue Trillion Ring 4.jpg

roxta

Shiny_Rock
My biggest pet peeve? Windows! I have zero tolerance for them.
Whenever I see one, all I can think is WHY???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results