shape
carat
color
clarity

CS in solitaire or simple settings?

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have CS's that are set in solitaire or very simple settings? I am now debating the issue of setting my peach/pink spinel in a solitaire setting vs the 3 stone. Pictures or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :wavey: :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There should be a ton of them in the colored ering/eye candy thread. I know I've gotten a lot of ideas from there myself!

I'm at work and don't have any on my laptop (and the search function dosent exactly work currently)

Though I have a ton of haloed stones, I have some that are also solitaire set.

-A

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian said:
There should be a ton of them in the colored ering/eye candy thread. I know I've gotten a lot of ideas from there myself!

I'm at work and don't have any on my laptop (and the search function dosent exactly work currently)

Though I have a ton of haloed stones, I have some that are also solitaire set.

-A

Arcadian....I would love to see the halo's as well. i am just finding that looking for a stock halo setting for an oval stone isn't going to be easy. Oh well.....should have guessed that!!! :naughty:

breezing

Rough_Rock
all of rings are simple settings :)) . i'm at work and just took these to give you an idea - bezel set green tourmaline with textured band (stone is not dark like in the photo but i shouldn't be playing here while i'm at work :) and the band is slightly wavy and organic in feel).

P1010016.JPG

P1010018.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my colored stone rings are solitaires, and I love them!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a bunch, and I like to show them off, so here we go with pics :)

BB cuprian tourmaline in a Windy City Jewelers 4 prong setting
BEGNew12.jpg

BB supernova tourmaline in a Kays setting (my mom's old engagement ring setting)
BEGNew11.jpg

DS aqua asscher in a 4 prong knife edge, done by Windy City
file.jpg

BB green tourmaline in a Sally Lotus
BEGEtsyTourmalineRing2.jpg

BB color change spinel in an Americanset trellis
IMG_1094y.jpg

RH concave cut sapphire in a James Allen 1.9 mm common prong setting
PB300022.jpg

DS pink spinel, DS grossular garnet, and GB blue-green tourmaline, in sterling bezels by CreativeGoldsmith on Etsy
BEGStackingRings1.jpg

I have a couple more but they're in baguette settings and I don't think that's what you were going for :razz:

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
B.E.G. said:
I have a bunch, and I like to show them off, so here we go with pics :)

BB cuprian tourmaline in a Windy City Jewelers 4 prong setting
BEGNew12.jpg

BB supernova tourmaline in a Kays setting (my mom's old engagement ring setting)
BEGNew11.jpg

DS aqua asscher in a 4 prong knife edge, done by Windy City
file.jpg

BB green tourmaline in a Sally Lotus
BEGEtsyTourmalineRing2.jpg

BB color change spinel in an Americanset trellis
IMG_1094y.jpg

RH concave cut sapphire in a James Allen 1.9 mm common prong setting
PB300022.jpg

DS pink spinel, DS grossular garnet, and GB blue-green tourmaline, in sterling bezels by CreativeGoldsmith on Etsy
BEGStackingRings1.jpg

I have a couple more but they're in baguette settings and I don't think that's what you were going for :razz:

BEG...thank you so much...you do have lots and they are all BEAUTIFUL. I really appreciate you sharing the pics. If you don't mind, I would love to see the ones with baguettes also. Thanks again! :appl: :appl:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Taylor,

The only CS I have in a solitaire is my James Meyer with a P.G. Umbalite garnet - it qualifies as a solitaire, but I wouldn't usually call these
settings simple ::)

Some folks aren't fond of them, but personally I love when a CS is strong enough to stand alone in a solitaire, and I do like the look.

BEG: I always love seeing your BB cuprian ring, its so elegant and such a pretty colour.

Couple pics of my JM..

cushion ring for Mike.JPG

DSC03519for ps.JPG

DSC03420rs.JPG

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
AJ, I love your JM. I feel like it's been too long since I've seen pics from you! Any chance of an AJ Collection thread sometime soon? :)

Taylor, thanks very much! Here are the baguettes. Also if you want to see a profile view on any of these just ask.

First up is a BB aqua cushion in an LOGR baguette setting (this is the baguette setting for an oval, not a princess, modified to fit my cushion), in 14 kt. white gold

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

And this is my DS amethyst asscher in an LOGR baguette setting (same as the cushion, but in 14 kt. rose gold)

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
BEG...thank you so much...all of your rings are GORGEOUS.... :appl: :appl: :twirl:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is another modified verson of the same baguette setting, with a spinel.

spinel.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A pink tourmaline tension set in titanium. Not exactly a recommended practice...

Please ignore the dirty nails - I was "gardening" the window box when I realised the light was still good for a few pictures.

tension.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These are two chunkier solitaires, one with a tourmaline, the other with a chrysoberyl. Both are set in silver but I plan on resetting the chrysoberyl eventually, as the ring is just too heavy looking.

chunky tourmaline ring.jpg

crisoberilo.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just about all of my rings are solitaires...If the search function worked better I would post a bunch of pics for you. :sick:

I think they are almost all in the eye candy thread though--I have a peachy pink spinel from Patrick Irla in a rg and silver hydrangea setting. I love that look, and it's far from simple!

Maybe if I get bored later I'll go through and find some pics for you!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Frekechild, I covet your Patrick Iria ring...some day I'd like to get something similar made either by him or by my local goldsmith. I am really fond of dogwood blossoms, which have a similar feel.

Laura

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the simple settings myself. I'm kind of a plain girl!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain said:
A pink tourmaline tension set in titanium. Not exactly a recommended practice...

Why not?
Do you mean tourmaline is not strong enough for tension setting?

I'm asking because I'm considering putting my green diamond in a tension setting.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Largosmom said:
Frekechild, I covet your Patrick Iria ring...some day I'd like to get something similar made either by him or by my local goldsmith. I am really fond of dogwood blossoms, which have a similar feel.

Laura

ME TOO. Damn, now I'm thinking maybe I should've put my new stone in a Patrick Irla setting. Didn't even think about that. Poop.

ETA: Freke, now that we have the User's topics button back, there is no excuse for not posting all your solitaire goodies. :razz:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny said:
Lady_Disdain said:

Why not?
Do you mean tourmaline is not strong enough for tension setting?

I'm asking because I'm considering putting my green diamond in a tension setting.

Kretchmer would only tension set diamonds and sapphires because of hardness. Personally, I am a bit skeptical at using Moh's hardness scale for determining if a stone would withstand tension setting. Moh's measures scratchability, not tension resistance, and I don't know if there is a correlation between the two. Perhaps one of the experts can clear this up. I, for one, would be much more worried about cleavage planes.

However, the main reason that tourmaline isn't the best candidate for tension setting is due to internal flaws, as it is not a clean stone by any means. Pressure on those flaws can make them grow - too much ocasionally. However, the titanium ring was made in a small workshop, with basic tools, and doesn't come close to the pressure the expertly made rings exert. Which is good (stone survived quite well) and bad (the setting is no where near as secure as those and I wouldn't put a valuable stone in this setting in any circumstance).

If you go with a reputable manufacturer, I see no reason not to tension set your green, if you do your research and are comfortable with the idea. Personally, I have come to view tension set rings as quite secure, but there is more risk during the setting process.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Keep 'em coming, guys, please! I am loving this thread and getting some great ideas.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait, what?! The user topic function is back?! Why didn't anyone tell me?!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I got most of them?

Some of them do have diamonds, but they are mostly melee and very small--and antique. Not to mention secondhand.

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

That User's topics function almost redeems the current wonky search function....

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Freke,

You have some beautiful simple settings. Would you mind sharing who sets them? Or where you get the settings? I especially love that split shank that looks carved, the 5th one from the top.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lavatea,

That 5th one is from dimend SCAASI in Chicago. That was my PS gift. Here is the thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-dimendscaasi-and-pricescope-at-large.120967/

More to the story (bottom to top, chronologically):
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/big-blue-has-been-found.119050/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/registered-mail-and-usps.116484/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/big-blue-debuts.114628/

As for the rest, in order....
blue tourmaline, created and set by Daniel M of etsy fame
gray spinel, set by Silver Owl in Albuquerque, NM, setting is secondhand
Umba garnet, set by Silver Owl, setting is antique
lavender spinel, set and refurbished by Silver Owl, setting is antique
Big Blue, set by Dimend Scaasi in Chicago, IL
Blue spinel, set by Silver Owl, setting from Liebcor
Blue spinel ering, custom setting from Butterfield Jeweler's, Albuquerque NM