shape
carat
color
clarity

Crystals and needles

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am looking at a VS1, I color round diamond. And I was wondering if the crystals and needles concentrated near the edge of the girdle will be a durability issue?

I also read somewhere in this forum that a crystal actually has feathers going through it, but GIA grades it as crystals anyway since the feathers do not touch the surface.

Attachments

• 1353199411.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 36

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Oh my God, now I read somewhere in this forum that crystals / needles can build up tension and "explode" (as one user mentioned). So given the fact that these crystals / needles are on the edge and near the girdle of this diamond, if it gets a hard knock at that location, it could most likely fracture?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh my God, now I read somewhere in this forum that crystals / needles can build up tension and "explode" (as one user mentioned). So given the fact that these crystals / needles are on the edge and near the girdle of this diamond, if it gets a hard knock at that location, it could most likely fracture?
only during the cutting process, if it survives that it will be fine.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
More of a concern is the clouds, grade setting cloud with clouds not shown.
It needs to be examined to make sure they are not an issue making it hazy.

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Okay so it says on the report: Additional clouds are not shown. Pinpoints are not shown.

When I looked at the diamond, I thought it was okay, but now I don't really remember.

Wait so... a cloudy diamond can be an issue for a VS1 clarity grade?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wait so... a cloudy diamond can be an issue for a VS1 clarity grade?
yes it can be.
In the old days I would have said its improbable but these days its more common.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results