shape
carat
color
clarity

"Crown of Light" Cut Diamond

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I stumbled across this ring on Ebay (no plan to purchase though!) and wonder if it anybody is familiar with this "Crown of Light" cut. It looks like a disco ball!

s-l1600-1.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have seen that cut spoken about before. I am not sure they are really up to hype. What does concern me is that halo does not fit that stone. That alone would make me nervous.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost bought one on ebay a few times (and there was one on TRR too). My concern was that when I saw videos of them in natural light I wasn't "wow'd". Overall they seem to do well in low light/spotlight, but not in normal light

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's a new cut based on the Jubilee. Great in candle and spot light like @lovedogs says but not really perfectly suited to modern light situations. It almost behaves like a muted crushed ice in a round when looked at head on. If that is the look you're going for without the broad flash or sharper fire then it's a beautiful diamond. In some ways similar to rose cuts. It shimmers. It's like a step or emerald cut. It can only do what it's been cut to do.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a new cut based on the Jubilee. Great in candle and spot light like @lovedogs says but not really perfectly suited to modern light situations. It almost behaves like a muted crushed ice in a round when looked at head on. If that is the look you're going for without the broad flash or sharper fire then it's a beautiful diamond. In some ways similar to rose cuts. It shimmers. It's like a step or emerald cut. It can only do what it's been cut to do.

I personally like the jubilee better from videos I've seen

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Alex Park offers them once in a while. They measure deep and face up small for the weight relative to standard rounds. 83-84% depth for the recently posted ones and a loss of up to 0.9 mm in diameter. I have been keeping track in case a lab one comes along.

1.09 ct @ 5.9 mm (vs 6.6 mm)

1.71 ct @ 6.8 mm (vs 7.7 mm)

2.04 ct @ 7.2 mm (vs 8.1 mm)

2.24 ct @ 7.6 mm (vs 8.3 mm)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I personally like the jubilee better from videos I've seen

Me too, it has a little more broad flash and different flavor. Spotlighting does wonder for them like the Park videos, they look their very best.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For once, too many facets. The variegations in face-up light return are so tiny that it just looks kind of homogeneous -- almost like it is all pave. I like bigger areas of contrast. Maybe it is amazing in person or in motion but I agree with @GemView's "disco ball" assessment and that is not a compliment.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too, it has a little more broad flash and different flavor. Spotlighting does wonder for them like the Park videos, they look their very best.

Agree. Spotlighting makes them look truly amazing, but I think unfortunately they don't live up to that hype IRL because obviously spotlighting is so specific

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Would have to see it in person. Too many facets translate to mush.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Alex Park offers them once in a while. They measure deep and face up small for the weight relative to standard rounds. 83-84% depth for the recently posted ones and a loss of up to 0.9 mm in diameter. I have been keeping track in case a lab one comes along.

1.09 ct @ 5.9 mm (vs 6.6 mm)

1.71 ct @ 6.8 mm (vs 7.7 mm)

2.04 ct @ 7.2 mm (vs 8.1 mm)

2.24 ct @ 7.6 mm (vs 8.3 mm)

Wow. On my bucket list to one day see one in person!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results