shape
carat
color
clarity

What cut is this round called?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
These are pretty rare. I have seen that Jewels by Grace has some occasionally and Alex as well. They get snapped up pretty quickly. It would be like a disco ball with that many facets!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
I think you can also buy them new from Diamonds International. There’s a few threads on here about Crown of Light

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can also buy them new from Diamonds International. There’s a few threads on here about Crown of Light
I'd avoid buying from Diamonds International. That's the company that "serves" cruise ship passengers & has had a gazillion consumer complaints, has been/is the subject of lawsuits.

The Jewelry Insurance Brokerage of North America has cautioned insurers-agents about insuring Diamonds International's Crown of Light jewelry:

There is, however, a newer Crown Jubilee cut, offered by Under the Crown, a subsidiary of Bernard Nacht & Co - a wholesaler here in NYC's Diamond District that enjoys, so far as I know, a good reputation. They are cutting Crown Jubilees only from old stones; the Crown Jubilee diamonds are then graded and inscribed by GIA.
So I'm wondering if the stone offered by Parks Fine Group is actually a Crown Jubilee.

Here's a sampling of rings with Crown Jubilee diamonds as the center stone:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I've read a lot of the Crown of Light posts and understand challenges around their value, etc.

But curious strictly from a cut and light performance perspective, how it performs compared to an ideal cut MRB?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've read a lot of the Crown of Light posts and understand challenges around their value, etc.

But curious strictly from a cut and light performance perspective, how it performs compared to an ideal cut MRB?
I'm not seeing any ASETs posted here on PS of any Diamond International's Crown of Light diamonds. So I'm tagging PS Trade member @denverappraiser in the hope that he will respond to your query. I noticed in several past threads about Crown of Light diamonds that he commented that he'd appraised a fair number of them.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is cut to preserve the original shape and weight of diamond rough as much as possible.
Under the ASET, I expect to see alot of obstruction and leakage

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is cut to preserve the original shape and weight of diamond rough as much as possible.

May I ask whether your assumption is based on viewing ASET images for other jubilee (or similar) cuts? Thank you.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Agreed - but would work well as a fancy yellow to increase the colour

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

These two diamonds are exposed to the same lighting condition. The crown of light sparkles while the MRB is dead. Why? Because the light comes from 75+ degree angle, the MRB (propably steep and deep one) does not have many facets that reflect light from that angle. That is why you will see alot of obstructon, blue and even black under the ASET for the crown of light, whereas the MRB will be mostly red.
Bring an August European Round to this lighting condition. I bet it will be mostly dark and dead.

And why leakage? The crown of light always has glassy appearance, like crushed ice radiant or typical oval brilliant.

It is all about light.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask whether your assumption is based on viewing ASET images for other jubilee (or similar) cuts? Thank you.

See my response above.
The MRB behaves and reflects light predictably. Based on the appearance of MRB, you can kinda reconstruct and guess the lighting condition used in the video. Now, you know the lighting condition and can explain the crown of light's appearance and light performance.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if any PSers happen to have both a MRB and a Crown of Light diamond, and would be willing to post videos of it in various lighting conditions.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
I'd avoid buying from Diamonds International. That's the company that "serves" cruise ship passengers & has had a gazillion consumer complaints, has been/is the subject of lawsuits.

The Jewelry Insurance Brokerage of North America has cautioned insurers-agents about insuring Diamonds International's Crown of Light jewelry:

There is, however, a newer Crown Jubilee cut, offered by Under the Crown, a subsidiary of Bernard Nacht & Co - a wholesaler here in NYC's Diamond District that enjoys, so far as I know, a good reputation. They are cutting Crown Jubilees only from old stones; the Crown Jubilee diamonds are then graded and inscribed by GIA.
So I'm wondering if the stone offered by Parks Fine Group is actually a Crown Jubilee.

Here's a sampling of rings with Crown Jubilee diamonds as the center stone:

I definitely wasn’t recommending Diamonds International! Just mentioning that’s where Crown of Light is sold :lol:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Crown of Light and Diamonds International are one and the same. DI is the only place where they distribute new COL diamonds.

They go out of their way to discourage tools like ASET and Idealscopes. The problem is that they want to avoid people comparing one COL against another, which is exactly what ASET is for. Given that there are no competitive dealers and they don't do it themselves, that means there is a very limited dataset for what a good one looks like vs. a bad one.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @flyingpig ! Always appreciate a chance to learn more.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds International has a tool, the spinning tubular light box, which is shown in this thread to prove their diamond sparkles more than a standard ideal cut round. However, it is of great importance that the lighting scenario used in the viewer tube puts light in a very high angle not at all like the standard lighting scenario designed into ASET or I-S, Changing the lighting angle and then constructing a cut which works best at that angle is the evidence given to prospective customers who just don't know much about diamonds or lighting models.

It is a highly effective way to sell diamonds, but the downside is that the lighting model is not close to the norm of how diamonds are illuminated in the daily real world. It is proof that lighting angles are crucial to the determination of what is a finely cut round diamond and that a firm can make a substantial change in the lighting and demonstrate something altogether different if they so choose.

Crown of Light diamonds are a patent protected cut and only sold by Diamonds International except for the rare ones which could end up in the secondhand market. When sold new, at retail, the transaction prices can be surprising. It proves to me that not everyone shops for the lowest prices and that some folks will pay for something unusual, different and well marketed. I'm not advocating for or against, but when so many feel they can't make a decent profit on diamonds, this proves quite the opposite. The Diamonds International story that goes along with these diamonds and their mine to consumer tale is very well presented and makes a strong case for consideration to buy such a diamond. For a consumer, the way to judge how a diamond performs is outside on a sunny day or in a very well lit room of a jewelry shop. Poorly cut diamonds will not look anything like a finely cut diamond in such lighting. Diamonds cut with a requirement for unusual lighting, such as inside a spinning light box tube, should also be examined in more standard lighting before a final choice is considered. Once you know your personal preference and are sure, then look at the comparative costs. After you know the entire story, make a sensible choice. Don't rush into a purchased before you understand what you are buying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results