shape
carat
color
clarity

Crown and Pavilion angle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kathristin

Rough_Rock
I have found a diamond that I thought I really liked. To me it looked brilliant and "sparkly". Then I found out the crown angles were 35.5 deg and the pavilion angles were 41.3. I did some research and fount that the steep combination makes for a really ugly diamond. Is this true? And if so, how come I couldn''t see anything wrong with it? The diamond has a 60% table which makes the crown height fall into ideal range at 13.5%, does this make up for the steep crown angle?

Could it be possible that the numbers are off? Plese help!!

These are the diamond specs

Carat Weigh: 0.61
Measurements: 5.44 x 5.46 x 3.33
Color: E
Clarity: SI1 (crystal)
Depth: 61.1%
Table: 60%
Crown: 13.5% / 35.5 deg
Pavilion: 43.5% / 41.3 deg
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Slight (dos this almost always mean slight blue and not yellow or green?)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
First off...there is a stone that looks good to your eyes..and then a stone that looks good on paper. Most stones that look good on paper will look good to your eyes. But not all stones that look good to your eyes will look good on paper. This stone could be a prime example.

On the HCA this stone scores a 5.4 which is good (aka marginal) with a Good, two Fairs and a VG on spread. In my mind that tells me that you should pass on this stone, it won't have optimal light return, fire or brilliance. I would not really consider any stones that have Fair as a result.

However..if your eyes like the stone and you thought it looked good, who really cares what the paper says. The fact that you really liked the stone says one thing...the HCA scores and paper scores are an entirely other bag of jelly beans.

My stone when I first bought it (it is a large table, shallow depth stone) scored 1.5 on the HCA. Since then Garry made adjustments and it was a 2.1. Then suddenly lately it is a 2.8. Still in the very good range, but far from the original 1.5. I know my stone isn't ideal but its very pretty and we loved it when we saw it. So we bought it! We also got it for something like 20-25% off rappaport..so it was a good deal. We also liked the spread of the stone (e.g. it looks larger than it is)

My two cents would be that if you are getting this stone for an AMAZING price (e.g. 30% off rappaport or similar), then you may want to go for it. But I would not suggest paying regular retail pricing on a stone such as this when you can be more discriminating on what your jeweler shows you for the same price.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

shurikt

Rough_Rock
Did you see that rock under a jewelry store's lighting? That might explain it's apparent sparklyness. Of course the best way to irritate a "maul" jewelry store employee is to ask if you can look at the stone over in the food court...

Kathristin

Rough_Rock
What would the rappaport on that stone be? We are getting it for $1800 (plus $1000 for the platinum setting with baguettes) Also, the GIA report didn't say anything about "angles exceed 35 degrees". Will the GIA always put that on the report if the crown angles are over 35 degrees? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results