shape
carat
color
clarity

Crossbody bags Yayyyy, Handbags Boooo. My brief snit about designers and "it" people

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a top handle bag that comes with a detachable shoulder strap. I rarely use the shoulder strap but its always nice to have if you need it. I love having a bag that sits on the crook of my arm.

I love your bag @jaysonsmom.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a top handle bag that comes with a detachable shoulder strap. I rarely use the shoulder strap but its always nice to have if you need it. I love having a bag that sits on the crook of my arm.

I love them too, but for the opposite reason. I generally remove the "handbag" strap and use the shoulder, but it's nice to have the other "just in case".

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need a big handbag. Big. HUGE. FIrstly, my wallet is enormous. I keep my money, my cards, a pen, a comb and 2 types of lip gloss in it. Sometimes my phone - which is the oversized iMax Pro - so it's big from the get-go. It's also full of coins and random keys as well. Then I always travel with a bag of drugs in case my gut spasms when I'm out and I get stuck. I always have tissues, a face mask or two, a pair of gloves and, oddly, both American Airlines and JetBlue name tags for luggage. I use them regularly since I go back and forth across the US perpetually, and that's just where I keep them. I often need to include my computer, a toothbrush, and sometimes I squeeze in a sweater. Often a book. I have a tan handbag by The Row, a black one by Elizabeth and James (used to be the premiere line for bags for The Row before they stopped manufacturing under that name), a taupe Longchamp Roseau before their workmanship went south, and yesterday my DH bought me *this* one, in blue. I'll extend the shoulder strap to its max and wear this one as a shoulder bag / cross body.

I'd love to see anyone fit everything in any of my bags into anything less than a tote/hobo style bag! And I like them hanging next to my thigh, so looooong shoulder bag is the only thing that works for me.

ETA Hmmm...looking back at all of that - I wonder if I should get an iPad...

If the computer you are carrying is a lap top, yes, get an Ipad Air to lighten the load. And then eliminate the book and download it onto the Ipad for reading. For me, it's not the size of the bag, but how heavy it is, so even when travelling, I try to bring along the lighter things when I can substitute.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

Thank you, I seem to buy a lot of top handle bags with shoulder straps, here are a couple other ones….my favorite travel Longshamp and my summer bucket longchamp IMG_0266.jpeg IMG_5794.jpeg IMG_0362.jpeg IMG_3970.jpeg

Last edited:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
What about backpacks for when we need to carry a bit more and want to stay hands free?

I don’t carry bags on a daily basis anymore as my phone does everything (including making payments) and our apartment has a fingerprint lock rather than using a traditional key.

But when I do need to carry a little bit then it’s a small crossbody. And if I need to bring a water bottle/laptop, then a backpack! I really like the even weight distribution between the shoulders, as I used to get shoulder aches from heavy crossbodies.

The Longchamp pliage backpack is amazing for travel (although the original M is too small for laptops) and I have a leather one from Proenza Schouler that’s roomy.

IMG_6571.jpeg
IMG_6570.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i buy a bag for everyday and wear it every day till it wears out (usually well after it has worn out), then i buy a new one
maybe its a tote? i wear it over my shoulder using the long strap
i dont drive so its not like i have a car to keep things in for day to day use, i walk and take the bus
it has to have zipped compartments, be waterproof and have room for loads of stuff like a work shirt and water bottle, emergency deodorant, hairbrush and anything i might buy on the way home for tea any given night as well as a treat from work for Gary (squshed donut naybody?)

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I now use a walker and handling a bag is a major PIA, so I just don't. I can't go out alone, and my husband carries my little wallet with my insurance cards and ID. Right before I became disabled I had a 20 year old L'Lasse { excuse sp, I'm too lazy to go upstairs}.It's a satchel which was my style of choice. I'm getting that refurbished just because. I had a LV and Gucci but gave them away. I do, however, use my glitzy clutch when we go out

I love bags, which I think is a bit of a minority opinion on this forum. I did a count the other day and I’ve got about 25 now :D

But cross bodies are the best, I wear them frequently. If LV, Chanel etc are still making cross bodies then imo they’re still in style, whatever influencers might say. I also don’t mind arm-carry, but I dislike shoulder carry because they slip off. Hand carry is inconvenient but required for parties occasionally.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love bags, which I think is a bit of a minority opinion on this forum.

I love them too. I just don't like to carry them on the daily. I have a Chanel classic flap and a Balenciaga that I loved. Used the Balenciaga until I wore it out and it's in desperate need of restoration. The Chanel is roomy and delicious but too heavy. I can't give them up though. They sit in their bags in my closet and every now and then I take them out for a chat, apologize for ignoring them, and put them back on the shelf.

Hey all you designers and "It" people who decide what's in and what's out and develop devious marketing ploys in an attempt to shame us into following the latest trend -- fie on you, a pox upon you. It has come to my attention that you all have decided that cross body bags are antediluvian, dead and gone and that handbags are the only acceptable form of transportation for life's essentials such as lipstick, a smart phone, and a credit card.

I do not want my hands occupied by anything other than air or purchases du jour. I do not want an arm crooked at the elbow to support a bag that makes me look like I can't figure out a better way to carry essential stuff other than awkwardly holding my crooked arm at my side as though I'm preparing to participate in a joust. Tennis elbow from a handbag is not for me.

Am I alone in my preference for cross body bags?

The only drawback is that quite a few cross bodies lack the capacity to hold a large smart phone and other essentials comfortably. After years of buying and enduring bags that were ok but not quite right, I recently bought a Tumi that fills the bill. Leather, but light, and roomy enough for what I carry on the daily. It comes only in black which is probably 2024's antediluvian dead and gone color of the year.

Snit over.

I literally just bought the new LV crossbody. I should note that I am not a designer bag girl per se, but just happened to love this one. I typically shoot for quality over any particular branding. But I always either wear crossbodies or backpacks. If I don't have either of those, I stuff my necessaries into my back pocket like a dude. I love handbags on others, and they look so chic and put together. For me though, they're impractical. So I'm with you 100%!!
hi501.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have long done crossbody bags, but since my back surgery, the only one I am allowed is like a Lulu fanny pack thing worn close to my middle crossbody. I am not supposed to use a normal purse or regular crossbody anymore because it keeps you off balance and thus causes issues with your back and neck overcompensating.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, apparently I’m really a weirdo because I try not to carry a pocketbook. In the colder months, I carry my wallet, keys and phone in my coat pockets. When it gets warmer, if I am wearing jeans I’ll just put my wallet in my back pocket, phone goes in the other pocket and keys in one of the front pockets.

Last year, I decided to get a men’s wallet because they are much slimmer and it fits much better in a pocket than a larger wallet. It is also a lot easier to have a slimmer wallet at work rather than having a huge bulky wallet in my back pocket.

Same!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my crossbody bags. My latest has a satchel look that I love. Hands free all the way!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results