shape
carat
color
clarity

Crossbody bags Yayyyy, Handbags Boooo. My brief snit about designers and "it" people

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all you designers and "It" people who decide what's in and what's out and develop devious marketing ploys in an attempt to shame us into following the latest trend -- fie on you, a pox upon you. It has come to my attention that you all have decided that cross body bags are antediluvian, dead and gone and that handbags are the only acceptable form of transportation for life's essentials such as lipstick, a smart phone, and a credit card.

I do not want my hands occupied by anything other than air or purchases du jour. I do not want an arm crooked at the elbow to support a bag that makes me look like I can't figure out a better way to carry essential stuff other than awkwardly holding my crooked arm at my side as though I'm preparing to participate in a joust. Tennis elbow from a handbag is not for me.

Am I alone in my preference for cross body bags?

The only drawback is that quite a few cross bodies lack the capacity to hold a large smart phone and other essentials comfortably. After years of buying and enduring bags that were ok but not quite right, I recently bought a Tumi that fills the bill. Leather, but light, and roomy enough for what I carry on the daily. It comes only in black which is probably 2024's antediluvian dead and gone color of the year.

Snit over.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, f them!

I am trying more and more to get away from all that and just do my own style. For ex. How about a crossbody handmade from a rich tapestry fabric, with its own jewelry, a gorgeous bead fringe on the bottom and a vintage brooch in the front. Of course, the back will have “f you” embroidered on it in elegant script. :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like handbags and prefer crossbody or bum bags.

Day to day is a bum bag,

Crossbody bags which are bigger for day trips say to London so that I can carry additional items such as a small water bottle, a battery pack for my mobile phone, a toiletry kit with pain killers and anti-diarrhoea medicines, etc...

I have never follow trends, especially in clothes and accessories.

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you! I have used crossbody bags for 17 years after a break to my neck & damaged nerves meant that any heavy shoulder bag on my left shoulder would give me a headache. I wear a crossbody on my right shoulder & the bag against my left hip.

I have many, some heavier than others, but all beautiful, leather & stylish. I think apart from one (I have heaps) they are all from Mulberry. I also have one made from the surplus fabric from our lounge blinds, that the upholsterer had made up as a gift for letting her dress every single window in this place. I use is when I take the dog out, as it’s smaller & perfect for poop bags & treats etc.

Bad neck aside, the thought of carrying a bag in the crook of my arm is a bit yuk. A bit Real Housewives of Somewhere…

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I only own crossbody bags. Yanno Ferragamo, LV and Tiffany make nice ones!!! :P2:devil:

cheers--Sharon

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Crossbody bags are my fave. I discovered that men's/ unisex bags are the way to go. I have one LV and one Gucci-all set!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all you designers and "It" people who decide what's in and what's out and develop devious marketing ploys in an attempt to shame us into following the latest trend -- fie on you, a pox upon you. It has come to my attention that you all have decided that cross body bags are antediluvian, dead and gone and that handbags are the only acceptable form of transportation for life's essentials such as lipstick, a smart phone, and a credit card.

I do not want my hands occupied by anything other than air or purchases du jour. I do not want an arm crooked at the elbow to support a bag that makes me look like I can't figure out a better way to carry essential stuff other than awkwardly holding my crooked arm at my side as though I'm preparing to participate in a joust. Tennis elbow from a handbag is not for me.

Am I alone in my preference for cross body bags?

The only drawback is that quite a few cross bodies lack the capacity to hold a large smart phone and other essentials comfortably. After years of buying and enduring bags that were ok but not quite right, I recently bought a Tumi that fills the bill. Leather, but light, and roomy enough for what I carry on the daily. It comes only in black which is probably 2024's antediluvian dead and gone color of the year.

Snit over.

Oooo, just ran off to check this brand out. which one to you like? The Mari looks just about perfect, size wise.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only do crossbody bags too...I need my hands (and mind) free!

I've seen women put their handbags in their carts at the grocery store and then walk away from their carts to go get something.
I never worry about leaving my cart. My crossbody is on me. Not only does it free up my hands, it frees up my brain from worrying
about where my purse is (priceless). I dont think I'm one to worry about whether a crossbody is in style or not. It fits my style and I
will be sticking with them!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crossbody bags are my fave. I discovered that men's/ unisex bags are the way to go. I have one LV and one Gucci-all set!

My Ferragamo bag was actually a "men's" bag (bought in the men's dept). Its a great piece.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use a clutch bag for formal evening events when I do not have to carry too many items except for the mobile phone, money (a credit card and some cash in notes), lippy, blotting paper and cotton buds in case my makeup starts to melt and run!

DK :lol-2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a cotton tote girl because I carry so much random junk around so need a big but lightweight bag!

To quote my friend: Of course people are going to think your jewellery comes from AliExpress! You carry a $5 bag!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a work bag that is big enough to carry my laptop, chargers, reference book and documents, a small Filofax for note taking while touring a site, a purse of some sort and a small toiletry bag with medicines etc...

It is way too big and heavy to be worn across the body, and I have to carry it on my shoulder.

I bought a small trolley case to replace the work bag so that I don't have to carry it on my shoulder which is fine when I don't have to fly as it is too big as a carry on for some airlines such as KLM and Air Canada, DOH!!!

I am planning to buy a smaller trolley case that I can use as a carry on luggage as I type.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo, just ran off to check this brand out. which one to you like? The Mari looks just about perfect, size wise.

I bought the Kendal crossbody.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I purchased a Longchamp camera bag a few months ago. I plan on taking it with me when I go to England in May. I didn’t want to wear anything with obvious logos, etc. I returned the first one because the stitching was green and it was too fussy. I purchased this one. It’s lightweight because it isn’t leather. Leather is too heavy by the time I fill it with all my stuff. I also have two crossbody LV bags. One is older than dirt so I don’t wear it anymore. It’s also too large. I love the smaller one..but I wanted something in black that was discreet..
EACE9E8A-372C-4C95-AB30-E69869608C71.png

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I carry a small bag, but for the most part I just carry everything in my pockets....I work from home and don't go out much...so I try to not to carry any bag at all if I can help it....I got my purse stolen about 25 years ago from the front of a shopping cart with my 2 year old right next to it....he was next to me in the cart and I turned my back to put a bag in the back of my SUV and poof it was gone in a instant...since then I try not to carry one.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just bought a smaller trolley case as a work bag as well as a carry on bag as I have 2 trips with plane travel this year already.

Another Kipling and it was 40% off as the fabric print has been discontinued.

Nearly all my bags are Kipling ever since I discovered this brand from Belgium back in the 90s when I started to travel for work, except for the clutch bags for formal evening events which are cheapies from SwankySwan!

I can't justify spending lots of money on accessories.

My two most expensive leather accessories, a multi-use handbag/backpack and a brief case bought in 90s and 00s respectively did not last very long, and I don't buy leather bags anymore as my days climbing up the corporate fruit tree are over.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a Longchamp camera bag a few months ago. I plan on taking it with me when I go to England in May. I didn’t want to wear anything with obvious logos, etc. I returned the first one because the stitching was green and it was too fussy. I purchased this one. It’s lightweight because it isn’t leather. Leather is too heavy by the time I fill it with all my stuff. I also have two crossbody LV bags. One is older than dirt so I don’t wear it anymore. It’s also too large. I love the smaller one..but I wanted something in black that was discreet..
EACE9E8A-372C-4C95-AB30-E69869608C71.png

I bought the black (mens) Ferragamo bag also for a trip to Europe. Needed to be practical and discreet. It is. Cant tell it is a designer bag. The only drawback it is deep and black interior. Can't find stuff in it! Looks brand new after these years.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had been know to wear a backpack in the front to avoid the bag being unzipped while it was on my back!

Don't wear backpacks nowadays except when I am out and about with the dog on camping trips to carry his stuff like poo bags, water bottle and treats; and a water bottle and sun cream for me!

DK :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought the black (mens) Ferragamo bag also for a trip to Europe. Needed to be practical and discreet. It is. Cant tell it is a designer bag. The only drawback it is deep and black interior. Can't find stuff in it! Looks brand new after these years.

I use small zipped pouches (again from Kipling as I love their products) to address this issue, very handy when the bag for day trips is big, deep and dark and not enough interior pockets!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I carry a small bag, but for the most part I just carry everything in my pockets....I work from home and don't go out much...so I try to not to carry any bag at all if I can help it....I got my purse stolen about 25 years ago from the front of a shopping cart with my 2 year old right next to it....he was next to me in the cart and I turned my back to put a bag in the back of my SUV and poof it was gone in a instant...since then I try not to carry one.

In the warmer months, I wear cargo shorts with 7 pockets and don't carry a bag on a day to day basis going out and about for short trips.

In the colder months, I wear treggings (thicker leggings) with no pockets, hence I need to carry a bum bag or a small crossbody bag for short trips.

Can't wait to be bagless soon!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only wear cross-body bags these days. I don't really carry much and I'm with the others who want to be hands free. I have a closet full of designer hand bags that I never use anymore, even if they can be slung on a shoulder. I keep thinking I'll pull them out again someday, but it's doubtful. And I'm too old to worry about what is "in" or "out". I only care about what works for me.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I carry a tote because I need my iPad, diapers, wipes, toys, wallet, 50 lipsticks (just kidding kinda), phone, meds, glasses…..

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love crossbody bags as well, but I always get convertible crossbody handbags , where if you take the crossbody strap off, there is a top handle you can carry the n your hand, or in the crook of your elbow

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I also much prefer crossbody bags.

Right before Christmas I came across this small crossbody sling bag, the Pocket Bag by Maruca Designs. The straps go long for crossbody/messenger but can go shorter if you do want to use it as a shoulder bag, and being fabric it's lightweight and comfortable. Lots of fabric patterns and colors to choose among, and the bags have top zip along with inner and outer pockets.

https://marucadesign.com/collection...es/products/pocket-bag?variant=45420465455350

pocket-bag.jpg

It's such a great design and so versatile!

I loved it so much I bought one slightly larger, the mid-sized crossbody sling, call the Spree. Although I pretty much use the smaller Pocket Bag day to day, I like the Spree for travel or when I need to carry more stuff with me.

https://marucadesign.com/collections/mid-sized-crossbodies/products/spree?variant=45247253512438

spree.jpg

Anyways, I wholeheartedly recommend these bags and the company https://marucadesign.com/

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I mostly use crossbody bags so my hands are free. Mine are all Roots pebble leather in various versions/colors. If I'm going "light", I wear a Lululemon crossbody with just room for a small wallet, lippy, phone and keys. Freedom! :D

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just bought a Lululemon shoulder bag with the explicit goal of making it cross body as my little old man black pug is getting less heat tolerant as he ages so I need to carry more water than I used to.
I have previously converted a small clutch into a cross body by dint of buying an additional chain strap for it and use it far more in this configuration than any other.
Cross body is functional and useful, it'll never really go out of style.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the most part I do not use handbags anymore...and if I must I always make it a cross body.
I don't care about trends or what's en vogue in the slightest. I never did.
I need function and comfort period.
Cross body all the way for this lass
Comfort and function rule over all else in my world

crossbodyphoto.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results