shape
carat
color
clarity

Crossbody bags Yayyyy, Handbags Boooo. My brief snit about designers and "it" people

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
For the most part I do not use handbags anymore...and if I must I always make it a cross body.
I don't care about trends or what's en vogue in the slightest. I never did.
I need function and comfort period.
Cross body all the way for this lass
Comfort and function rule over all else in my world

crossbodyphoto.png

You look smashing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
For the last 8 or so years I’ve been using the Longchamp Le Pliage large tote. It’s a shoulder bag, very lightweight, with enough room for all my daily stuff plus iPad plus emotional support water bottle.

A crossbody would be great in theory but I really need the water bottle and most crossbodies are too small. Agree on the crook of the arm thing. That’s a definite nope for me.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put a very thin wallet in my back jeans pocket.
The other back pocket has a small comb and cell phone.
That's it! No more purses of any kind.

I keep a small makeup bag in the car for touch ups and other stuff like aspirins, band aids, etc.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cross body purses only for me. Some are too small that’s true, but sometimes I don’t want to bring a lot of things. For days I need a water bottle, I use my LV Odeon crossbody. This bag can carry my wallet, phone etc and two bottles of water!!
I don’t really love the monogram anymore, but it’s a very functional bag that has lasted for years.

IMG_1455.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, apparently I’m really a weirdo because I try not to carry a pocketbook. In the colder months, I carry my wallet, keys and phone in my coat pockets. When it gets warmer, if I am wearing jeans I’ll just put my wallet in my back pocket, phone goes in the other pocket and keys in one of the front pockets.

Last year, I decided to get a men’s wallet because they are much slimmer and it fits much better in a pocket than a larger wallet. It is also a lot easier to have a slimmer wallet at work rather than having a huge bulky wallet in my back pocket.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, apparently I’m really a weirdo because I try not to carry a pocketbook. In the colder months, I carry my wallet, keys and phone in my coat pockets. When it gets warmer, if I am wearing jeans I’ll just put my wallet in my back pocket, phone goes in the other pocket and keys in one of the front pockets.

Last year, I decided to get a men’s wallet because they are much slimmer and it fits much better in a pocket than a larger wallet. It is also a lot easier to have a slimmer wallet at work rather than having a huge bulky wallet in my back pocket.

Not a weirdo. Or if you are you’re in good company lol. I’d say I use a crossbody 5% of the time I’m out. Usually I have nothing with me. But my phone in my coat pocket. Maybe a lip gloss. In warmer months I give my phone to my dh. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're not weird; I'm weird. I can't even carry my phone in its case with room for 2 credit cards and driver's license for short trips without feeling put upon because one of my hands isn't free. Putting stuff in my pockets doesn't work for me. It's like carrying a handbag in my hand or on my arm. It makes me feel stuffed and I hate sitting with a key or small comb or whatev poking me in my tender places. When I take the cats for a walk in winter, I put my cell in my jacket pocket and it bangs against my leg and makes me crazy and makes me feel unbalanced so I put my keys in the other pocket for balance and they jangle and make me even more crazy. I guess I'm not weird after all; I'm crazy :eek-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

now i need a photo ?
whats a pocket book ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wish i could do photoshop and put a cross body bag (thats also a new term for me) on HM
1708626973639.jpeg
i personally like a shoulder bag and i always stuff way too much stuff in there

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coach. They always have a variety of styles and colours, no matter the trend. I even have a Snoopy one now!

Check coach outlet online, tons of good deals!

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Right now, my chest is too big to wear a crossbody bag. Things get in the way.
That being said, I live a casual life in a rural area so I looove a subtle but pretty luxury handbag. It’s a nice way to spice up jeans and tshirts and I carry them in my hand like the Queen.

Reactions: Kya

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a crossbody bag girl who doesn't give a rip whether they're in style or not. (They are, don't let the 19 year old influencers have any say in your shopping--we know what works and what we like when our brain fully develops)

That said, most designers don't cater to tall women. I have ONE Dooney & Bourke that I thrifted years ago (black pebble leather, has held up beautifully but is not considered "in style" by most even though it's very simple) that's actually long enough to hit the right place on my hip. I'm only 5'10" so I don't understand why other designers can't seem to make straps just a little bit longer (even the adjustable type) for someone who is only 3" taller than the average fit model. But that is life as a Tall. I empathize with petite women but you can always take away whereas tall women cannot add on length anywhere.

I've resorted to buying longer straps on Amazon at this point. I have a couple LV crossbodies; the straps even on the last adjustable hole of which were still too short for me, so I started buying lookalike chains and straps on Amazon. Someone with a keen eye would probably notice and assume my bags are fake, but honestly I'd rather that be the assumption anyway.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! I love this!
I pay no attention to trends. That's what happens when you're "of a certain age"
I like what I like, and that's that!

Right?! We had to listen to and watch enough ridiculous advertising on tv and in print/magazines decades ago during OUR formative years that I like to think those of us who survived those times are now able to discern the shit from the shinola. Or something. haha

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, why should I pay attention to trends when they don't pay attention to me!!!!

Huh?
Likewise, equally reasonable would be, Why eat oranges, when oranges don't eat me?

No biggie really, but I'd put it ... "Why should I pay attention to trends when they don't matter to me.

Trends can't "pay attention", as they are not conscious sentient beings.
They're merely social constructions.

But what you wrote does feel good and sound groovy and very sound-bite ... which matters a lot, way more than reason, to zillions of people today.
Ya know, image over substance.

This from a guy who pays little attention to trends, including the ubiquitous, fear-related trend of always doing & saying only things that keep people liking me as much as possible.

Just sayin.

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a weirdo. Or if you are you’re in good company lol. I’d say I use a crossbody 5% of the time I’m out. Usually I have nothing with me. But my phone in my coat pocket. Maybe a lip gloss. In warmer months I give my phone to my dh. :)
Yeah not a weirdo ☺️
Outside of work, I’m 90% of the time phone only. Phone in back pocket of jeans or side pocket of tights.
If I must wear a bag, crossbody all the way.
My work bag is the exception in being a totepack which is so far, only being used as a tote and is probably about 10% too small for everything I need to carry (but I just loved how it looked and let that win over practicality).

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need a big handbag. Big. HUGE. FIrstly, my wallet is enormous. I keep my money, my cards, a pen, a comb and 2 types of lip gloss in it. Sometimes my phone - which is the oversized iMax Pro - so it's big from the get-go. It's also full of coins and random keys as well. Then I always travel with a bag of drugs in case my gut spasms when I'm out and I get stuck. I always have tissues, a face mask or two, a pair of gloves and, oddly, both American Airlines and JetBlue name tags for luggage. I use them regularly since I go back and forth across the US perpetually, and that's just where I keep them. I often need to include my computer, a toothbrush, and sometimes I squeeze in a sweater. Often a book. I have a tan handbag by The Row, a black one by Elizabeth and James (used to be the premiere line for bags for The Row before they stopped manufacturing under that name), a taupe Longchamp Roseau before their workmanship went south, and yesterday my DH bought me *this* one, in blue. I'll extend the shoulder strap to its max and wear this one as a shoulder bag / cross body.

I'd love to see anyone fit everything in any of my bags into anything less than a tote/hobo style bag! And I like them hanging next to my thigh, so looooong shoulder bag is the only thing that works for me.

ETA Hmmm...looking back at all of that - I wonder if I should get an iPad...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results