shape
carat
color
clarity

Creative genius needed! How to set Watermelon Tourmaline?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hello beloved Colored Stones forum members! I have been drooling over your delectable gems for a while now...and have fallen in love with a large watermelon tourmaline, courtesy of PristineGemstones on Etsy. How would you set this as a necklace/pendant? It just looks so juicy to me!

It's quite large, about 26.6 carats and 26mm wide. Where and how to set? I'm thinking that since it's so large, it would be best to have a longer chain, lending a kind of bohemian feel to certain outfits that need a pop of color. What do you think?
:love:

Or should I go with a smaller watermelon tourmaline? Maybe it's too large and clunky - would it not work well as a pendant?

WatermelonWow.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Re: Creative genius needed! How to set Watermelon Tourmalin

I'm thinking of a long pendant/necklace kind of like this for the large tourmaline... would it just be too much?

Maybe I should go daintier...any watermelon tourmaline owners out there? I've just fallen in love with the juicy qualities..and I love how tourmalines resonate with the highest heart chakras. It also seems to have really cool properties as a crystal with water and with the human body. Just seems like a magical beautiful stone to have.

LongPendantFun.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Really...thats just too much! I think you should wear a shirt! :bigsmile:

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Oops, I have new mommy brain. I thought I was posting this in the Colored Stone forum! Will msg the admin now! Sorry, folks!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

tyty....LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My second post disappeared :(sad ...what I was saying was...

how fragile is it? I was thinking something long but more around the top/mid bustline. I'll look around etsy to see if I can
find any good ideas.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I looooove watermelon tourmalines: all tourmalines, really! At 26 mm, it's definitely going to be a conversation piece, so I say, GO with it! I'd bezel it for safety, and do something in the style of Gurhan or Sepkus or Temple St. Clair: something almost barbarically antique. You could go in the other direction, too, and offset the organic qualities of the unfaceted stone with a very delicate halo, possibly of pink sapphires or the like to continue the natural pattern ....

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

26mm is a great size for a pendant! Have fun with it. Here are some ideas from Jemma Wynne-she does a lot with watermelon tourmaline.

Blackened pave diamond surround would be lovely-or colored stone pave surround.
jemma-wynne-pendants.png

Add more-multiple tourmaline slices are gorgeous for summer.
jemma-wynne-pendants-tourmaline.png

http://www.jemmawynne.com/collections/limited-edition

I'm also partial to a Gurhan-esque high karat hammered bezel. ...or a granulated high karat gold surround--Greco-Roman.

(ETA-great ideas, Circe!)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

CIRCE!!!! Barbarically antique - what a swoon-worthy way to put it!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: You have such a gift with words. OHHHHH.... You have such dreamy ideas and fabulous taste. THANK YOU!!!!!! Ahhh, my bling sister!!!!!

COATI! HOLY HECK!!!!! Where did you find those amazing delicious necklaces??? I went to that site and am bowled over. EXQUISITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to give you a standing O! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Holy moly, all amazing ideas! Tyty, I am still cracking up over your comment! LOL

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

More ideas for you-as I am loving that tourmaline slice!

You could venture over to the ancient side with Gurhan.

Simple single bezel-would look lovely with your tourmaline
gurhan-turquoise-necklace.jpg

Multiple watermelon tourmalines
gurhan-tourmaline-necklace.jpg

Hammered double bezel-I am partial to this look.
gurhan-ruby-necklace.jpg

http://www.gurhan.com/index.jsp?com...g.seoURL&subCatName=subcategory&category=307#

I'd also check out Stephanie Albertson http://www.stephaniealbertson.com/ She does these one-of-a-kind huge pendants with unique gems-unfortunately they are not on her site, but you can get a feel for her designs.

Good luck Bliss! I'm excited to see what you do with the tourmaline-that is, if you get it! I love creative jewelry.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ha! Great minds think alike, all around. :mrgreen:

Coati, I LOVE Jenna Wynne's work - I haven't seen that before, and now I will have to go and explore as much as I can! I also remember seeing some really astonishing pieces done with watermelon tourmaline in Lapidary Journal ... like, 15 years ago? Will search through my back issues tomorrow and see if I can scan some of the pics ....

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Coati and Circe... GREAT SUGGESTIONS AND FINDS!!!!!! I'm sold on a bezel now!!!!!! Oh, how lovely!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

One more question - which tourmaline to go with? :appl:

This is the larger one - 32mm!!!!!!! It's double the price of the one above. But I love how it's clear...the only thing is, I love the shape of the teardrop one. But I love how this one shows color better, especially against the skin. What do you think??? This one is sliced thinner so I worry a little about durability. But it's so clear and rare to have a watermelon tourmaline of this clarity and size... hmmmm....

Please help me decide! I keep going back and forth!

WatermelonLargesse.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Here is the teardrop shaped tourmaline, significantly smaller but still 26mm. This one is 26.6 carats, so smaller than the huge one above. I love the juiciness of this one.

I love this shape more for a pendant...but it is a little darker because it's a little bit thicker. My only reservation for this is, it has some bumpy spots/inclusions and I worry that might make it break if I knocked it on something. The other tourmaline doesn't seem to have those those "cracks" in the crystal... As a totally inexperienced newbie when it comes to tourmalines, would that make a difference?

Which one is more durable? Which would you choose?

WatermelonLargesseTeardrop.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the idea of a longer necklace but this would be nice if you wanted to do a shorter too...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/63212510/long-green-agate-pendant-silver-circle

You could always hang one off a black (or any color) silk cord for a simple look.

This person does some interesting things with dragonflies...dont know if you are into that but
they are somewhat barbaric looking.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/49779494/dragonfly-apple-green-spring-green-art

Lots of fun options!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Oh, I really prefer the 32 mm slice. I love the shape, the clarity looks exceptional ... and while it's hard to tell from the photos, it doesn't look exceptionally thin to me. It's, what, 2-3 mm thick? Think about shell cameos, which are softer and typically thinner, but which survive for hundreds of years ....

With something like that, I would go for a Wynne-like frame over a bezel, though, just because ... better safe than sorry. Plus the "rind" is thin enough that you wouldn't want to cover any of it up! Maybe a reversible frame - green tsavs on one side to extend the ring, pink sapphires on the other to give you the concentric effect?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

Ohhh...this is going to be gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like them both for different reasons and can see why it's a tough decision for you! personally, I would go with the teardrop one b/c I LOVE the shape and it is so juicy! (but the larger one is gorgeous too and the shape is really unique.)

I guess, for a Jemma Wynne type pave frame necklace I would go with the bigger one. For a simple metal bezel I would go with the teardrop.

I can't wait to see the finished product!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

I can't WAIT to see the end result of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Here's a pretty necklace by NathalisJewelry on Etsy. I'd go for something a lot simpler, but it gives a good impression of size and length of chain. I don't know why you ladies got me so hooked on colored gemstones and crystals!!!!
:love:
The tourmaline here isn't nearly as nice but the necklace overall is a steal at $420- it comes with the sterling chain with wrapped tourmalines.

NathalisJewelry.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Another photo of the tourmalines next to each other. Oh, I'm so torn as to which one I should get! They are the bottom row of 2 sets.

The bigger one is more than twice the price of the teardrop one. Hmmm. Both are within my price range but it makes a sliiiiiight difference because I do love the teardrop shape. So torn! Keep the opinions coming!

Circe, you like the bigger slice? Ahhhhh, me too! Bella!!!!! I love the teardrop, too! Dragonfly, me too!!!!!!!

Argh. I honestly want to buy both...one to wear and one to look at! :naughty:

PristineGemstones on Etsy is awesome! The customer service is beyond excellent...just very very impressed with them! :appl:
Definitely check them out!!!!

I'm told that tourmalines hate getting their photo taken...and that the photos don't do the stones justice. :love:

WatermelonFun2.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I like it as a monocle

MONOCLE 2.jpg

heathers_monocle.JPG

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

32mm hands down. I prefer the quality and the shape is really gorgeous. With the larger one, I'd go really simple with a heavier high karat gold bezel. I'd wear it on an adjustable gold chain, so you can play around with the length.

or

You could do the pave surround-perhaps blackened (oxidized) to be worn on a long oxidized silver chain. The contrast would be gorgeous-rough hewn gem paired with pave diamonds on a blackened chain.

Or, if you don't want to spend on gold or pave, the gem would look great in a brushed silver bezel-perhaps lightly oxidized to bring out metal texture and worn on a lightly oxidized chain.

I think it would be safe in either a bezel or a pave surround type of setting, but remember pendants on longer chains can clank around and knock into things when you bend over etc.

ETA-Circe-I'd love to see those pieces from Lapidary Journal

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

VapidLapid|1304704433|2914094 said:
I like it as a monocle
I'd add a pave surround to that monocle. :cheeky:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

coatimundi|1304705469|2914115 said:
VapidLapid|1304704433|2914094 said:
I like it as a monocle
I'd add a pave surround to that monocle. :cheeky:

They actually DID make quizzing glasses out of precious gems in Classical times - was it Sulla who had one made from emerald?

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

That's it. Bliss, you should buy both the 32mm and 26mm to see the world through rose colored glasses of a different sort. (asymmetry is creative, eh?)

Circe-hmm -makes me want to trek over to the Getty

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

ps-I don't know if you've seen Janish Jewels, but Jill does some nice custom bezel work with odd shaped gems. http://www.etsy.com/shop/JanishJewels?page=1 -if you are going to do gold-she's an affordable option. (she works in silver too) hth!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

I have to thank all of the creative generous goddesses and shamans on this site for your help!!!! VapidLapid - I have to say, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to pop in earlier but every time I thought about my tourmaline and your MONOCLES, I LAUGHED OUT LOUD!!!!!! So creative! So brilliant! Just FUNNY!!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha! :appl: Love it!

I'll post more pics but I just picked up my tourmaline from Yekutiel. He bezeled my watermelon tourmaline in gold - not sure if I want a longer chain, but here are some pics! Love love love your ideas! Thank you for your generosity!!!!!

It is very hard to capture and I had bad fluorescent lighting - but the tourmaline is so juicy! It's like a giant reddish purple pomegranate on my neck! :love: So fun!

TourmalineBezel.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

OK, I am a huge dweeb because I posted one of my inspiration pics instead. Ha! Oops!

WatermelonFun.JPG

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Bad lighting! But the stone just glows against the skin! And you can see the green rind... when I'm not stuck in the office, I'll take a better pic!

WatermelonFun2.JPG

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Yekutiel at ID Jewelry was awesome!!! As always! I love the richness of the yellow gold with the hot pink and green of the tourmaline.

Sorry about all the crappy cell phone camera photos!!! Bad lighting and OMG, I need to hitch my camisole up... :oops:

WatermelonFun3.JPG

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Such bad lighting! I need to pull out the DSLR...now if only the baby would let me do that! :wavey:

WatermelonFun4.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results