shape
carat
color
clarity

Creation of a Sapphire ring (Advice/ Opinions desired)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here is one with a little bit of a split shank. The proportions of parts of the ring aren''t exactly refined, but it gives you an idea...

WG sapphire ring bezel split shankFreke design.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tee hee. Looking at them now they look a little silly, but I do hope it will help.

azelismia

Rough_Rock
Trade
alright, I win a prize for being one of the most fickle people! I totally changed directions and bought a setting off of ebay. When I looked at the platinum and diamond prices for settings on ebay and no taxes vs locally, it really seems like a no brainer. these people seem to have good feedback as well. I"ll take to a jewelers to get it set and have them affirm it''s what they say it is but I think it will be ok.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330288783062

I think it will make the sapphire bright!

azelismia

Rough_Rock
Trade
Frekechild that looks awesome.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That setting is beautiful (I especially like the profile), looks well made and is of substantial weight (meaning: it''s not too lightweight, like many pieces sold today), but I have to warn you about pave diamonds. They don''t exactly make an everyday piece of jewellery, i.e. they shouldn''t be worn too often and especially during manual work. They''re held in place by small pieces of metal which can easily get damaged, so I just thought you should know (in case you don''t).

Don''t get me wrong, I''m not trying to spoil the fun
2.gif

azelismia

Rough_Rock
Trade
nope I didn''t know that. Luckily I work on a computer so I think the odds of damage coming to it are reduced :)

I planned on taking off rings for golf anyway ;-) If I do lose a diamond is repair work terribly difficult on these types of rings?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 4:23:45 AM
Author: azelismia
nope I didn''t know that. Luckily I work on a computer so I think the odds of damage coming to it are reduced :)

I planned on taking off rings for golf anyway ;-) If I do lose a diamond is repair work terribly difficult on these types of rings?
It depends. If the diamonds are all the same size (which you''ll see better, once you receive the setting), finding one to fill the gap isn''t dificult. But in higher quality items, diamonds in a pave setting tend to be of various sizes, so that they fully cover the desired surface (there are no large metal sections between them), which makes matching them more complicated (as you also have to match them by color, clarity and the degree of brilliance). It probably won''t be very hard to repair it, but I''m not a jeweller so you''ll have to check with an expert.

azelismia

Rough_Rock
Trade
I got the setting yesterday. I have included a horrible handshot with the stone just set lightly in the setting.

I think it''s quite lovely.

I took it to be set today and asked for a written appraisal before setting it and hte jeweler said oh you don''t need that. they both look fine. I ordered a written appraisal anyway but it''s nice to know it looks like I got a great deal on both of them just from a quick professional eyeballing.

so all looks good :) I can''t wait to get it back :)

P1040875.jpg

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
That is going to be lovely, just what you wanted.

Freke, I think you made a secret decoder ring. Lurve your efforts.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, very lovely.

azelismia

Rough_Rock
Trade
this is more of a side view of it. this board is great and thanks to everyone for their advice! I think I''ve gotten a much much better ring than I would have wihtout your collective knowledge!

I''ll post more pics when it''s actually set.

oh other cool side note, most of the tiny diamonds are fluorescent. mostly blue/green but one is red. lol go fig. the bigger stones don''t fluoresce though.

P1040871.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results