shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy question about going to pawn shops

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I’ve never been to a pawn shop and after reading about people finding great deals on jewelry sparked my interest in going to one or more :).

I am wondering if you take off all your nice jewelry when you go to these shops so you have a better chance at negotiating price? I know it’s a silly question but just want to know what the expert pawn shoppers do.

Thank you!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES! I take my rings off or leave them home and DH has diamonds in his band and he takes his off too. Does it mean we get better deals? Maybe, hard to know.

I’ll tell you what really works is bundling and laying out the cash in front of them especially now.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
YES! I take my rings off or leave them home and DH has diamonds in his band and he takes his off too. Does it mean we get better deals? Maybe, hard to know.

I’ll tell you what really works is bundling and laying out the cash in front of them especially now.

Thanks, @YadaYadaYada. So cash is better when negotiating. That makes sense. That’s good to know. Thanks!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I take off my jewelry before going in.
They might not give you a deeper discount if they think you can afford to spend more.
I also play dumb, and I don't let on that I know much about jewelry.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, makes a lot of sense. But how can you play dumb if you ask for a loupe? :think:

I know!
The last time, I used my 3.0 power reading glasses instead.
I made sure to complain to the guy that I was having trouble seeing in my old age!
Not as good as a loupe, but they helped a lot.

There have been times that I stormed right in to a shop and pulled my own loupe out of my purse. It depends on the sales person. Some are easy and some drive a hard bargain.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Damn, y'all are just freely giving out our secrets!! :snooty:

JK, or am I?
To be honest though I do hope that the grime and grubbiness of pawnshops today stays as is, as it keeps many that feel they are much too good for pre-owned or pawnshops out & leaves the vintage & antique treasures for the real hunters & diggers.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I take off my rings, yes. I ask for a loupe. I ask for the item to be cleaned.

I’m not much of a negotiator-but I have had them drop prices right then and there, as they see I’m interested! I think it just depends on if they can stand to see me walk away, lol.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

JK, or am I?
To be honest though I do hope that the grime and grubbiness of pawnshops today stays as is, as it keeps many that feel they are much too good for pre-owned or pawnshops out & leaves the vintage & antique treasures for the real hunters & diggers.

I think we all love great deals so I appreciate those who have shared their experiences. I always go to the sales rack first when I shop hahaha. I taught my kids to do the same thing. We all love going to consignment shops to find good deals. I don’t like paying full price if I can avoid it.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I take off my rings, yes. I ask for a loupe. I ask for the item to be cleaned.

I’m not much of a negotiator-but I have had them drop prices right then and there, as they see I’m interested! I think it just depends on if they can stand to see me walk away, lol.

Oh good! Didn’t think pawn shops would have a jewelry cleaner but that makes sense for them to have one on site. Thanks!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

JK, or am I?

There are at least 10-15 pawn shops in my part of town. I once was keeping count :geek2:

There is definitely enough old dusty bling out there for all of us!!

I think the rows of lawn mowers and old bikes on the sidewalk will keep the upper crust folks from bothering to venture inside at all!

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
There are at least 10-15 pawn shops in my part of town. I once was keeping count :geek2:

There is definitely enough old dusty bling out there for all of us!!

I think the racks of chainsaws and rows of lawn mowers on the sidewalk front keep some upper crust folks from venturing inside!

Noooo I must have all the bling for myself of course stracci! ;)2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noooo I must have all the bling for myself of course stracci! ;)2

Don't make me fight you! :lol:
Can you imagine two women in a fist fight over a diamond ring in the pawn shop? The guys would start taking bets!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Don't make me fight you! :lol:
Can you imagine two women in a fist fight over a diamond ring in the pawn shop? The guys would start taking bets!

Luckily, @TheGarnetGirl won’t have to fight me either as my bling budget needs to be replenished as I just upgraded my e-ring. Plus we just paid for car repairs to my daughter’s car and today my youngest daughter’s car is in need of repair too ughh!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luckily, @TheGarnetGirl won’t have to fight me either as my bling budget needs to be replenished as I just upgraded my e-ring. Plus we just paid for car repairs to my daughter’s car and today my youngest daughter’s car is in need of repair too ughh!!!

Car repairs always interfere with my bling buying......... :(2

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was curious about how pawn shops work when I used to frequent them. So I had a heart to heart with an owner of one. I learned they make almost all their money on loans and scrapping gold. They already know who is playing "dumb" and for example the owner told me I was pegged as a buyer who only wanted "the high end stuff" and they since he and his staff do not make their money on selling the items in the shop, they go with what their mood is that day. Seriously.

Next- the gold coin shop. Same thing. The owner is not a pawn shop per say but makes most his money scrapping gold and selling off the diamonds from the jewelry people bring to him. He flips the diamonds really quickly. Sells them to his dealer who gets them recut, sent to GIA and resells them.

So......honestly.......buyers like us are not their bread and butter. We are a quick sale and if they like us and the mood strikes them the deals are good.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I was curious about how pawn shops work when I used to frequent them. So I had a heart to heart with an owner of one. I learned they make almost all their money on loans and scrapping gold. They already know who is playing "dumb" and for example the owner told me I was pegged as a buyer who only wanted "the high end stuff" and they since he and his staff do not make their money on selling the items in the shop, they go with what their mood is that day. Seriously.

Next- the gold coin shop. Same thing. The owner is not a pawn shop per say but makes most his money scrapping gold and selling off the diamonds from the jewelry people bring to him. He flips the diamonds really quickly. Sells them to his dealer who gets them recut, sent to GIA and resells them.

So......honestly.......buyers like us are not their bread and butter. We are a quick sale and if they like us and the mood strikes them the deals are good.

Thanks for the info! @Lisa Loves Shiny.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wear my jewelry since 90% of it came from the one pawn shop I frequent...so the jig is up there. (They know me all too well.) I have a loupe in my purse, almost never pull it out, but ask to use one of theirs about half the time. I have asked them to clean my own jewelry before and they seemed happy to oblige. I usually work with one saleslady who calls me, “My Darling.” She’s sold jewelry for years and told me a lot about pieces I’ve been interested in. I’d rather go into a pawn shop than a jewelry store. They’re my people!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results