shape
carat
color
clarity

crazy Q...does each diamond have its own dominant color sparkles?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
some diamonds show more green sparkles ? some show more blue sparkles? some show more red sparkles?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends on the lighting more than the diamond.
Diamonds with great optical symmetry might produce more pure tones in some cases.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, each fire flash is actually the full spectrum- redorangeyellowgreenbluepurple. You might see one color first depending on the angle you''re observing from, but if you verrrry slowly tip the stone, you can watch the individual flash of fire change to the next color in the spectrum. Like, you might see a green flash- if you hold the stone still, so you''re still seeing it, then slowly tip it, it''ll change to blue (or yellow) then purple (or orange). Did I explain that well? It''s late, probably not!

So I guess no, to answer your question more directly.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 3:35:10 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Well, each fire flash is actually the full spectrum- redorangeyellowgreenbluepurple. You might see one color first depending on the angle you''re observing from, but if you verrrry slowly tip the stone, you can watch the individual flash of fire change to the next color in the spectrum. Like, you might see a green flash- if you hold the stone still, so you''re still seeing it, then slowly tip it, it''ll change to blue (or yellow) then purple (or orange). Did I explain that well? It''s late, probably not!

not exactly true.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Huh, that''s what I see when I look at the sparkles of my ring... What would you say otherwise, I''m curious?
1.gif
(And I really should go to bed now!)
Date: 2/13/2009 3:41:30 AM
Author: strmrdr

not exactly true.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 3:51:42 AM
Huh, that''s what I see when I look at the sparkles of my ring... What would you say otherwise, I''m curious?
1.gif

not exactly true.
You will rarely get full apparent separation at normal distances due to the size of the virtual facets vs distance.
The largest virtual facets may display it but all wont. (asschers and emeralds are more apt to do so more often because of the large virtual facets)
In other words you get mixing.
Add in 2 eyed view and it is even less common, it is more visible in videos.
Some colors are rarely seen at all due to the RI and the angles typically involved.
This video clearly shows how the larger virtual facets do so the smaller ones don''t.
http://www.vimeo.com/3177742

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2009 4:04:48 AM

You will rarely get full apparent separation at normal distances due to the size of the virtual facets vs distance.
The largest virtual facets may display it but all wont. (asschers and emeralds are more apt to do so more often because of the large virtual facets)
In other words you get mixing.
Add in 2 eyed view and it is even less common, it is more visible in videos.
Some colors are rarely seen at all due to the RI and the angles typically involved.
This video clearly shows how the larger virtual facets do so the smaller ones don''t.
http://www.vimeo.com/3177742
In addition to the virtual facet equation there is also lighting and human physiology involved. It''s very cool and interesting.

Did you ever wonder why you see so many crazy colorful sparkles in bright direct lighting? Much of it has to do with pupil dilation.

1. In soft light, if your pupils are wide open, the dispersed light has a better chance of recombining by the time it hits the retina, and when we see all the colors of the spectrum we perceive it as white light (modified NYSOA graphic).

pupil-dilated-dispersion.jpg

2. In bright light your pupils are not so dilated and there is a better chance the dispersion will get "clipped" before it hits the retina, so you will perceive color. While this illustration is not technically accurate it serves the purpose (modified NYSOA graphic).

pupil-undilated-dispersion.jpg

If you have ever looked at a well-cut diamond in bright sunlight you know that the inside of the diamond will appear dark but you''ll see crazy colorful sparkle from it. This is because your pupils close to protect your eyes from the bright sunlight, but in doing so they are very effectively clipping dispersion, so you see color in abundance.

(originally posted in this thread - along with a groovy Pink Floyd album cover graphic)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sir John for posting the rest of the story.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2009 2:35:11 PM
Quite welcome. The properties of virtual facets, coupled with different illumination scenarios and human physiology, are explaining a lot of the whys and wherefores of classic configurations, and are exciting when exploring new ones.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 2:40:57 PM
Author: John Pollard
Date: 2/13/2009 2:35:11 PM

Quite welcome. The properties of virtual facets, coupled with different illumination scenarios and human physiology, are explaining a lot of the whys and wherefores of classic configurations, and are exciting when exploring new ones.
very true :}
VF''s are my favorite topic and I love an opportunity to discuss them.
They are the key to diamond design.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2009 3:51:42 AM
1.gif

not exactly true.
Green (and yellow) are not seen very often because of the effect that John is describing.
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/50/5/Letter-to-the-Editor-of-the-Australian-Gemmologist.aspx
this is part of an explanation of a mathematical error Sergey picked up in GIA''s research that the GIA Facetware cut grade system was based on.
There is a relevant explanation on this page

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
With my old cuts, I see far more fire color in low (pupil dilated) light than in sunlight--even under a tree. Is that generally, because of the larger facets?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 3:02:48 PM
Author: coatimundi
With my old cuts, I see far more fire color in low (pupil dilated) light than in sunlight--even under a tree. Is that generally, because of the larger facets?
technically because of the dilated pupils but at the diamond level it is the larger VF''s.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 3:06:56 PM
Date: 2/13/2009 3:02:48 PM

Author: coatimundi

technically because of the dilated pupils but at the diamond level it is the larger VF's.

ah--thanks Storm! And thanks for the cool tutorial John P.!

eta: my rb shows more spectral colors under a tree--sunny day. Makes sense.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
seem like i see more green sparkles than any other color on my wife''s ring.
Idunno1.gif

vz356.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:16:12 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
seem like i see more green sparkles than any other color on my wife''s ring.
Idunno1.gif
Green and blue will be the most common fire colors in pretty much any cut.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the reason....
You mix blue with green and you get bluish green or greenish blue.
They strengthen each other.

thisexplainsit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results