shape
carat
color
clarity

Cracked diamond or just reflection??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pizazz49

Rough_Rock
Okay, I am in desperate need of advice...I have a 1.35 round brillant diamond in a platnium setting. In inspected the diamond before and after it was set in the jewelry store and everything looked fine. Now, only three days later, I notice inside my house that it looks as if the stone has a crack in the inside of it. So of course I am freaking out now, but after a couple hours of inspecting it under a light in my house, I kind of notice that it might be a reflection from the side of the setting (a bar that is directly on the side of the diamond. And when I view the diamond outside in the normal light, the "crack" is just barely noticeable (I think I only notice it because I am looking for it so hard)...I don''t know if it is the reflection of the setting or if there is really a crack in it!!!! I am so terrified to bring it to a jeweler (though I know I have to), so I thought that I would ask you all now, maybe you have heard or seen something like this before. Also, if it is cracked, is it easy to do something like this??? I mean, i have felt the diamond all around and it definitely has not come to the surface...so the "crack" is kind of in the middle. But when I look at the diamond from the top down, I cannot see anything out of the ordinary....

Okay, sorry to ramble. Any suggestions???? Please help
sad.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Does the "crack" appear to run around the bottom third of the diamond?

If so, what you're seeing isn't a crack....it's the reflection of the girdle. No worries!
9.gif

pizazz49

Rough_Rock
Hmm, if you are looking at the side of the diamond, it is near the bottom third I guess you can day. I know where the girdle is, but it is much lower than that. And it kind of looks like it bends at the ends, like a straight line with a slight twist up on one end (the "crack" I mean). If I look at the opposite side (the side 180 degrees away), I can kind of see a straight line, but it is not so prominent as it is on the other side. I know this sounds very confusing, but I am desperate to find an answer. I can't go to a jeweler until the end of the day
sad.gif
and I'm afraid of what they might say....(I hope that I am just a crazy woman, but I fear the worst)....

Do you still think it is the girdle??

Thanks for your help
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Pizzazz......it's not the girdle, it's a *reflection* of the girdle.....and yes, I'm confident that's what it is now from what you've described.

You're worrying needlessly.
2.gif
Enjoy your diamond!
9.gif

pizazz49

Rough_Rock
Okay, thank you very much for your quick responses!!! One last thing, is it normal that one side has this reflection much more than the others???

Thanks
1.gif

scotch

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 6/30/2004 9:50:49 AM pizazz49 wrote:

Hmm, if you are looking at the side of the diamond, it is near the bottom third I guess you can day. I know where the girdle is, but it is much lower than that. And it kind of looks like it bends at the ends, like a straight line with a slight twist up on one end (the 'crack' I mean). If I look at the opposite side (the side 180 degrees away), I can kind of see a straight line, but it is not so prominent as it is on the other side. I know this sounds very confusing, but I am desperate to find an answer. I can't go to a jeweler until the end of the day
sad.gif
and I'm afraid of what they might say....(I hope that I am just a crazy woman, but I fear the worst)....

Do you still think it is the girdle??

Thanks for your help
1.gif
----------------

Relax, most likely you are a crazywoman
naughty.gif
. What you are describing definitely sounds like you are seeing the girdle reflection, not a crack. Stop worrying, start enjoying your stone.
9.gif

Best,
Scotch

pizazz49

Rough_Rock
Okay, I promise I will relax after I ask one more question....is it normal for the reflection to be much more prominent on one side than the other???

Okay, that's it. Thank you all so much, you are all so wonderful (I have been reading the posts here for the past several weeks
1.gif
)!!!!

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Not to stress you out..
sick.gif
, but a stone can be cracked during setting and not "show" up right away. Dirt can set into it..ect... But more than likely, your stone is not cracked like you think. It sounds more like a reflection than anything.

Take it to the jeweler and have it examined, it will put your mind at ease.
loopy.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/30/2004 10:09:51 AM pizazz49 wrote:

Okay, thank you very much for your quick responses!!! One last thing, is it normal that one side has this reflection much more than the others???

Thanks
1.gif
----------------

Yes it can be normal it depends on the angle your looking into the diamond and how the facet is angled in relation to your eye how much you will see it.

In other words you might see it more looking into a facet that is like this | in relation to your eye than one that is like / or vise versa :}

Get it checked for peace of mind but I dont think you have anything to worry about :}

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
My gemologist offered to check my diamond again (for a small fee), after it has been set. I think I shall take up his offer.
6.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Does it look like one of these examples...? They are girdle reflections!

I had to laugh out loud because I tried several times to upload this file only to have it rejected...finally figured out that the problem was the file name I had used - horizontal cracks - !!!...what a dirty mind your screening device has Leo!!!

GirdleReflections.jpg

aliciamt7

Rough_Rock
OMG!!! Thank goodness for this post--the whole time I thought that line was an inclusion in my stone (it's a very eyeclean SI1, so I assumed that while I can't see anything from the top, it was only logical that I could see things from the side!) and now I see that it's normal!! What a great thing to find out!

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pizazz,

Funny-I had asked a question about a week ago wondering if I was seeing the inclusions through the side of my diamond (through the pavillion). Here is the post Link to my post

Funny thing is I was reading Good Old Gold's website and there was information about this very thing. I think what you are describing is what everyone is saying.....its the reflection of the girdle. What's funny is I thought what I was seeing was jaggedy, and when I look at the girdle that is exactly what I thought it looked like, but I thought-how could you see the girdle through the diamond. I figured it was a reflection of the facets from the other side, or my inclusion! I went to a mall to look at some diamond studs and used the loupe (secretly I was looking to see if I could see the inclusions through the pavilion. I didn't see any of them, or any inclusions what so ever with the loupe. But then again I was trying not to make it look like I was looking at my diamond!!)

Andrea-I thought the same exact thing, that I was seeing my VS2 inclusion (that the jeweler said I COULD NOT see no matter what with my eyes).

pizazz49

Rough_Rock
Hmm, thanks so much to all of you guys for your help! I went to the mall and talked to four jewelers, all who did not have a powerful microscope to look at it, but they all said that they don't think it is a crack. You see, it kinda looks like a thin cloud whisp...Now some of them said it was probably just an inclusion (it is only a SI1), but I honestly don't remember seeing it at the jewelers...Do you guys think that is just just their light in the store?? Like I said, outside in natural light, it is very hard to see...Hmm, if the jewelry store wasn't so far away, I would honestly just go in and look at it again there and see if I can see it now...The only other problem is I haven't received the GIA certificate yet (they are mailing it to us shortly), but I do have a faxed copy of it. And although it is a bad fax, I cannot see this particular inclusion (if it is one). I can see the little piece of carbon and according to the GIA report, something very small is next to it (I can't see with my eyes)...But it does not look very long like the "thing" I am seeing right now...Oh well, I am rambling now, but I am still unsure.

So I guess my last question is this: the "line" is more like a slight curved line (a whisp?) and it appears to be inside the diamond, not completely in the center, but near the side)...Could this still be a reflection of the girdle?? I really don't think so, but thanks for everyone's help!! Maybe I can find a jeweler today with a powerful microscope to take a look at it! I'll let you all know the outcome!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results