shape
carat
color
clarity

COVID19: What are you stocking up on?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy . I didn’t realise until I re-read what I’d posted that I’d said basket-sized shops might be the only long-term solution. How terrifying is that? In the space of pretty much a week, things have changed from 21st century life, with whatever we want at our fingertips (we could have Amazon Now delivered within an hour of clicking the buy button), to subconsciously accepting that food rationing is likely to be a long-term control across multiple continents.

No Armageddon sci-fi film will ever cut the mustard again - the psychological feeling of being under assault from an invisible germ enemy, from food shortage, from massive change in society, from isolation is truly hideous.

Edited: I’m sorry all, that’s a truly depressing post. I will find something fun to post in the meme thread as compensation, I promise.

No need to apologize for being real. These are stressful times and while it does help to share jokes and be able to laugh it is also helpful to share accurate info so we can be knowledgeable about what is happening no matter how bleak it is...Knowledge is power. And yes we will get through this- I hope and pray. We have no other choice. And I truly hope we will all help those who need our help and not just have it every man/woman for themselves. That would be the true tragedy. I have faith that fellow humans will help each other out. During tough times we have always shown that to be the case and may this time be no different. Despite the (I hope) momentary craziness and panicked hoarding I know that people will help those less able to help themselves. And we will come through this. :pray:

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
lissyflo, sending you hugs. This whole thing must be terrifying with kids. Don't feel bad about being real, like missy said.

I had a very sobering conversation last night with my brother. We are both concerned about my elderly parents. In the past, I have always traveled to them and taken care of them during significant medical problems. This time I said I probably couldn't if they got sick...I'm not sure how long the planes are going to be operating and what if I get stuck in an airport between here and there.

Plus, we are both middle aged and he was afraid for my health. He is a first responder and must be out.

What are you stocking up on? Cat food! I've been buying 6 to 10 little cans everytime I put in a Walmart pickup order. My Chewy order hasn't come. I have canned chicken and tuna for myself...but if I run out of their food and mine I'm afraid I will start to look edible to the furry darlings. :twisted2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo not even click and collect slots here for over 3 weeks. I’ve found that some companies who’ve lost their usual business sales over night, are advertising on FB that they have plenty of stock to sell and will deliver. I ordered from a Scottish butcher yesterday (other end of the country to us) and have a delivery booked for 2 weeks ahead. I don’t know if that’s something you’d be interested in, but I could give you the link, they’re a bit pricy, but needs must.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really angry at all the hoarding. It's not like our food supplies are being affected in any way. There's no point to it. We are going to have to be treated like prisoners and will only receive rations at some point because of the greed of others.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Austina That would be amazing - thank you! I tried the Daylesford/Abel&Cole/well known options earlier this week and they were either completely out of delivery slots or were only delivering very limited quantities to existing customers (which we’re not). Just knowing something will be here at some point would be a tonne weight off my shoulders, given we’re eating reserves that we might not be able to restock. I hope I’m more concerned than I need to be (I’m a natural worrier and could find something to worry about in an empty room), but would feel better with a plan in place, in case. None of this is helped by pictures in the paper of huge queues outside supermarkets starting at 5am.

I did start a list of farmer’s markets we could try after quarantine, hoping they’d be a better bet than supermarkets, but decided that trekking round wider geographical areas should be an absolute last resort in present circumstances - both in case we’re still somehow infectious after quarantine and in case we’re not immune from a second bout.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Don't hoard. The rest of us can't get supplies. I see photos of people who (before stores set limits) with 3 or 4 carts full of dozens of 1 item. 1 lady had 20 - 4 litre jugs of milk. 20. Jugs. My family is rationing food now, like a war time effort.
Come on people, we're better than this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't hoard. The rest of us can't get supplies. I see photos of people who (before stores set limits) with 3 or 4 carts full of dozens of 1 item. 1 lady had 20 - 4 litre jugs of milk. 20. Jugs. My family is rationing food now, like a war time effort.

Dear @Begonia yes I agree completely.

I think you’re preaching to the choir here. I think for the most part PSers are being thoughtful and kind.

Big hugs to you. Keeping good thoughts for everyone.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went to both Aldi's and Stop and Shop this morning, can I just say I'm always astounded at how much more I can get at Aldi. Bill there was $206 and Stop and Shop $94 (for like 13 items)

Anyways people were totally calm, Aldi was limiting eggs and toilet paper but otherwise fully stocked. I bought two of each item except meat (2pkgs chicke, one beef, one ham) plenty to go around, nice to see people acting civilized. Stop and Shop was much more cleared out, no eggs, no oatmeal, hardly any frozen veggies.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots of food where I live. Sure, there are certain things that are sold out or hard to find but the next time I am at the store it tends to be there. Today there was plenty of produce, meat, eggs, milk, and bread. Low on pasta, soup, baking staples (flour, sugar), frozen veggies. No hand sanitizer or TP. We are trying to go to the store once a week to limit exposure.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo these are the butchers, actually delivery was 10 days when I ordered, may be longer now. A friend had ordered from them before and was very pleased.

donaldrussell.com

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo these are the butchers, actually delivery was 10 days when I ordered, may be longer now. A friend had ordered from them before and was very pleased.

donaldrussell.com

Thank you, you’re an angel!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Austina I think you were lucky - I tried the site for an hour or so and could add available items to my basket but the option to register a new account wouldn’t click through at checkout. The whole site was very slow so I may have been trying at the time as masses of others and will try again later.

I wanted to share though that some commercial sellers are opening up domestic deliveries. I’ve just registered with Natoora, who normally provide restaurants with fruit, veg and charcuterie but are starting household deliveries. They’re currently only delivering to London zones 1-4 and some specific further out postcodes but say they’re expanding, and there may well be somewhere similar closer to you that’s doing the same. Either that or I’ve just provided my credit card details to a genius fraudster...

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @lissyflo, I’m wondering now if we’ll even get our delivery.

I’ve just ordered from getfreshand fruity.co.uk, delivery isn’t for 22 days, so I hope they deliver.

Edit, it’s all one word, it just won’t let me type it like that.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our grocery store pick up for last night was just randomly cancelled. My DD1 had to just go in the store and buy stuff. At least there is a family limit of 2 of any item. There are also physical distancing and other precautions happening. We're trying to get it down to once a week only. Almost there.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Our grocery store pick up for last night was just randomly cancelled. My DD1 had to just go in the store and buy stuff. At least there is a family limit of 2 of any item. There are also physical distancing and other precautions happening. We're trying to get it down to once a week only. Almost there.

Yes, me too. Trying for once a week. I’m the only one who shops for supplies in our house, and I go alone.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These became my must have to get through the quarantine. I have 2 more in the mail because my kids keep eating them. I now keep it in my bedroom.
20200321_161024.jpg

I didn't even realize I was hoarding diapers, but cleaning out the closet I found these. I don't even remember buying them. I think my kid will be potty trained way before I run out of diapers... Incidentally, I cannot buy baby wipes right now???
20200323_145607.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we didn't find one of the types of bread I usually buy at the grocery store, I took out my bread machine. I had already checked my stock of the basic ingredients I need for making bread recently. I made two loaves this week rather than go running out to a grocery store just for bread, then added yeast to my grocery list. Daughter's fiancé went out to shop, but found no yeast in the stores. I was surprised. I guess everyone is baking.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

F.....!!! (sorry, I try not to swear online to the public)! How selfish!:x2

My friend was telling me in his supermarket in London, people were pushing and shoving. This poor old lady couldn't get anything bc they were shoving her. My friend then helped her to fill her basket, but imagine?!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people buy for homeless shelters, which may explain some of the large quantities...

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I went for a quick shopping run to TJ for the 1st time in about 10 days.

When I was there last time, the store was practically wiped out. No dairy, eggs, frozen foods, and very low on produce.

So I wasn't sure what to expect today, but was very happy to see the store was fully stocked.

There weren't too many people in the store. And everyone just seemed to be grabbing a few things. So I hope the panic hoarding is slowing down.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeast in packets is unavailable, but we have found it in jars. I just made my third loaf (large loaf) of bread in a week (using my Zojirushi). My great-nephew said I could make my own yeast. I forgot that I used to make sourdough starter many years ago when I was a hippie bread maker!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I worry people think I’m hoarding at Costco when I’m buying 4 boxes of seltzer. But I’m buying for 4 homes to minimize exposures and cause my friends in the city don’t drive and they’re used to grocery shopping 2-3 times a week by foot but that’s not wise at the moment.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I worry people think I’m hoarding at Costco when I’m buying 4 boxes of seltzer. But I’m buying for 4 homes to minimize exposures and cause my friends in the city don’t drive and they’re used to grocery shopping 2-3 times a week by foot but that’s not wise at the moment.

You go, girl!!!

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
I'm scared of going shopping since I live in Brooklyn, so I signed up for the Express Instacart Service and decided to renew my Misfitsmarket (fruit/veggie) delivery service.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I had to do a crunchy run (turkey necks) The butcher I normally go to is closed so I went to one of the ethnic stores (Presidente) which has a meat counter. I really need to brush up on my spanish! I was able to get the meat and some frozen fruit there. In general though the store is quite full! they even had toilet paper (1-ply stuff but I dont' think lots of people like 1-ply).

I am a bulk buyer when I go to BJ's. I do not like being out there too much, and EVERYTHING there is in bulk anyway. Lots of people who have businesses buy there, so I guess I don't think much of it. Last time I was there I bought 4 bags of coffee. I love this coffee, and don't go too often (especially now) And i won't be taking it back either...lol but it will last about 5 months, which is why I buy it. Same with toilet paper. I buy a pack...lol but that can last me 6 months. But then my household size is small. Still, I leave with a very full cart! I will continue, as I have no desire to be there more than every 6 months.

The type of hoarding I saw with Covid-19 is what we see everytime there's a hurricane. people go out and panic buy to the point you see some pretty bare store shelves in some areas. Toilet paper has never been a panic buy for hurricanes though (usually water, gas, ramen noodles,booze, canned tuna, guns ammo, gas cans and generators) I'm sure somebody bought lots of milk...lol

In general many stores in my area are back to normal sans some areas of paper goods and cleansers.

I do worry what will happen during hurricane season and we get a storm. Right now we're getting lots of people from NY, trying to hide out here.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have 2 daughters at home (one 16 and one 21) and when I went to buy tampons- the store was OUT. That is panic worthy! I need them myself too. Could not find online. Had to go to multiple stores which made me nervous because of exposure to lots of people. Thank goodness I found at Costco and they limited purchase to ONE box. Again, that is concerning depending on how long this lasts. One box when there are THREE people in my home needs tampons. Highly concerning!

Hoarding period supplies, come on people.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results