shape
carat
color
clarity

COVID19: What are you stocking up on?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our local Trader Joes has come up with a great system. They will only allow 5 people in at one time, while waiting in line you must stay 6 feet away and when entering the store, they will sanitize your hands as well as on the way out. Each shopper is only allowed to have 2 of one certain item. I was able to get fresh produce and a few frozen items however, there were not any paper supplies around. We have enough to sustain us for about 3 weeks. The less I go into a public grocery store, the less I am exposed. Wishing all of you well.

That’s great and I’m ad you were able to get enough for 3 weeks!

I don’t see that system (5 at a time) working here however because we have many millions of people and 5 at a time just wouldn’t work.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly don't understand people hoarding 20+ gallons of milk, and not even bother with the ultra-pasteurized kind that has a longer shelf life. Just plain old milk that will spoil in 2 weeks.

Are they planning on bathing in the milk???

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's actually lots of milk on the shelves. what I didn't see was eggs. people are probably buying tons of them right now. (they're usually one of the first things to go in hurricane season aside from water.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't understand people hoarding 20+ gallons of milk, and not even bother with the ultra-pasteurized kind that has a longer shelf life. Just plain old milk that will spoil in 2 weeks.

I can‘t help but wonder if some people aren’t also shopping for older family members.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
we hardly eat much pasta or rice
maybe one dish each per fortnight so i did not need to buy pasta and i only brought a 500g pack of brown rice so i left plenty for everyone else
i did buy a tin of pasta sauce but that's what i put on pizza

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not really stocking up on anything because of this but I do have plenty of some things because I tend to bulk shop when things are on sale throughout the year. I have about a years worth of laundry detergent, for example (Black Friday sale +coupon). I had 3 packs of toilet paper left from a store that was closing last year. We have enough food for about two weeks without digging to the deep dark corners of the pantry. we are expecting my daughter and her husband for a few weeks as they are remote working only so I've been buying a few extras but not emptying any shelves.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just stocked up on my ice cream. At our local supermarket the guy in charge of ordering frozen stuff knows I like a certain brand and flavor and before Covid 19 he kindly ordered it just for me every week.

Since the crisis started escalating here 2 weeks ago I haven’t seen any more of my ice cream and I didn’t ask because everyone has a lot to deal with and it seemed frivolous for me to ask.

Well today we had to stop by to get Greg eggs and also to pick up groceries for our elderly neighbor and lo and behold there were 2 cases of my ice cream in my favorite flavor. Sweet.

But I took only one case (which are 8 pints) though I know he orders it just for me. I’m really sensitive now to taking too much of anything and if anyone wants to enjoy it I want them to have it.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People here are really obsessed with meat. Lots of posts in local groups about chicken and “meats”. I’m always surprised by how much meat people actually eat. I find it really gross that people keep going to stores and going to multiple stores per day to stock up on stuff. People are like what can I feed my kids if I can’t find chicken?!? Of course I don’t say, but uhm, like anything else. Oh, and one lady said she was worried her kids will be at risk for scurvy. I still can’t believe it. But yeah people are freaking out. But still shopping constantly.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just stocked up on my ice cream. At our local supermarket the guy in charge of ordering frozen stuff knows I like a certain brand and flavor and before Covid 19 he kindly ordered it just for me every week.

Since the crisis started escalating here 2 weeks ago I haven’t seen any more of my ice cream and I didn’t ask because everyone has a lot to deal with and it seemed frivolous for me to ask.

Well today we had to stop by to get Greg eggs and also to pick up groceries for our elderly neighbor and lo and behold there were 2 cases of my ice cream in my favorite flavor. Sweet.

But I took only one case (which are 8 pints) though I know he orders it just for me. I’m really sensitive now to taking too much of anything and if anyone wants to enjoy it I want them to have it.

Ohhhh what kind of ice cream?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh what kind of ice cream?

Arctic zero. Dairy and gluten free. It’s yummy.

People here are really obsessed with meat. Lots of posts in local groups about chicken and “meats”. I’m always surprised by how much meat people actually eat. I find it really gross that people keep going to stores and going to multiple stores per day to stock up on stuff. People are like what can I feed my kids if I can’t find chicken?!? Of course I don’t say, but uhm, like anything else. Oh, and one lady said she was worried her kids will be at risk for scurvy. I still can’t believe it. But yeah people are freaking out. But still shopping constantly.

People are not behaving rationally. Their selfishness leaves me speechless.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our grocery stores finally put limits on things like meat. It's great. Everyone has a chance to get it. It's 2 per family of each type. We didn't hoard, so we're okay with limits like that. @missy So nice that the grocer thought of you.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock

It seems that some hoarders really don’t think about where their food comes from. Cows will continue to produce milk during the COVID -19 epidemic!

In fact, one cannot just stop milking cows. They will continue to be milked at least twice a day throughout all this.

Unless all the processing plants were to close, (quite unlikely) and all the milk needed to be poured ‘down the drain’ as it were, the supply of milk should remain stable.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d even go further @Garnetgirl and say hoarders aren’t thinking full stop. They’re not thinking about other people, the elderly who are most at risk, the low income households who simply can’t afford to buy extra, those on the front line who are so busy dealing with the crisis, they may not have the opportunity to keep trawling the shops to feed themselves and their families. they’re just thinking of themselves. It’s selfish and irresponsible, and it’s got to stop.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think Emergen-C might be ok to combat scurvy. Tastes pretty good too.

The neighborhood I'm in predominantly uses nextdoor app so that we're able to help the most vulnerable who have no one to help them. I'd like to think that those that do seem like they're shopping for 5 households or so really are.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Emergen-C might be ok to combat scurvy. Tastes pretty good too.

The neighborhood I'm in predominantly uses nextdoor app so that we're able to help the most vulnerable who have no one to help them. I'd like to think that those that do seem like they're shopping for 5 households or so really are.

I know, and I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I think if we have access to citrus, orange juice, tomato sauce, we will all be ok on the scurvy front. It must have just been a moment of panic for someone to have posted something like that.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish we had n95 masks. Not so much for me, because I won't be leaving home, but for our designated out person who is shopping for groceries. People hoarded them in January. I feel SO unprepared considering we have 2 immunocompromised people in the house. My DH is not off work either.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Panama City Beaches are still open

Tampa closed their beaches today (finally!)
My local hospital stopped accepting visitors yesterday 2 miles down the road has stopped accepting visitors. I don't know if they're getting any cases or not but they could be.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, and I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I think if we have access to citrus, orange juice, tomato sauce, we will all be ok on the scurvy front. It must have just been a moment of panic for someone to have posted something like that.

Nope, not panic, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Sometimes tone gets lost in written internet conversations, but I didn't fathom anyone would think I didn't know that vitamin c supplements exist.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wish we had n95 masks. Not so much for me, because I won't be leaving home, but for our designated out person who is shopping for groceries. People hoarded them in January. I feel SO unprepared considering we have 2 immunocompromised people in the house. My DH is not off work either.

My husband was able to get a couple of N95 masks from Home Depot, of all places.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
That is what I hope. That there is no shortage of food and that there will be no shortage of food. That it is *just* people panicking and hoarding. I wish we would all stock up on common sense and be more calm about this because hoarding is hurting others. :(

And thanks @Daisys and Diamonds for your kind and generous wishes. Same here.
Hugs.

yes that makes sense. @lissyflo I still cannot accept the reality my baby girl is gone and this almost feels second to that if you kwim. I agree the brain can only process so much. I cry every day still over her and Fred and tears are going down my face as I type this. I am sorry to be such a downer. I have to buck up and be strong and snap out of this grief because right now our energy needs to be on getting through Covid-19 and dealing with the panicked masses too.

I keep saying to myself we are all going to be OK. One day at a time.

Though I don’t think I said so at the time, I was so sorry for you when I read about Francesca and Fred. Reading this now makes my heart break for you, Missy.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Our local supermarket has apparently banned the use of their shopping trolleys/carts - only hand baskets are allowed. I think this is a brilliant idea - you can only buy what you can carry around the shop (I’m assuming the elderly/infirm are exempt from the rule). I guess it doesn’t stop hoarders from buying a basket, putting it in their car boot and then repeating the process, but at least it makes hoarding much more inconvenient for them. A simple but hopefully effective measure!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our local supermarket has apparently banned the use of their shopping trolleys/carts - only hand baskets are allowed. I think this is a brilliant idea - you can only buy what you can carry around the shop (I’m assuming the elderly/infirm are exempt from the rule). I guess it doesn’t stop hoarders from buying a basket, putting it in their car boot and then repeating the process, but at least it makes hoarding much more inconvenient for them. A simple but hopefully effective measure!

The more one goes out to the supermarket the more at risk for getting infected with Covid-19 so it is prudent not to keep going out and making repeated trips to the market. I hope people stop hoarding and come to their senses. The banning of carts though is troublesome for me if that happens (or has happened) here because as of now I am not allowed to lift anything heavy so that would pose a problem.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The more one goes out to the supermarket the more at risk for getting infected with Covid-19 so it is prudent not to keep going out and making repeated trips to the market. I hope people stop hoarding and come to their senses. The banning of carts though is troublesome for me if that happens (or has happened) here because as of now I am not allowed to lift anything heavy so that would pose a problem.

We’ve had videos circulating in the UK of nurses in tears, unable to buy food after their shift, because shelves are stripped bare due to all the hoarding. If people won’t apply common sense and buy a normal weekly amount, I think we might find that more shops restrict to basket-sized shops (or capped quantities of items, but that has the same effect of driving more frequent trips to shops). I agree more frequent shopping trips is bad for exposure, but if it means that everyone has access to food then it might be the only way long-term.

We’re on day 7 of a 14 day complete quarantine and I’m becoming genuinely terrified, as we eat through our stores, that I won’t be able to find anything in the shops when we’re allowed out again. It’s extremely hard to manage with children in the house without panicking them. I had a cry in the shower yesterday so they couldn’t see and worry.

There’s no home-delivery slots available at all here now - not from supermarkets, veg box delivery services, etc. I hope things will be fixed in the week before we’re allowed out. With all children now off school, hopefully commercial deliveries that would have gone to schools for lunches will now be redirected to supermarkets etc but I suppose that will take time to organise.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’ve had videos circulating in the UK of nurses in tears, unable to buy food after their shift, because shelves are stripped bare due to all the hoarding. If people won’t apply common sense and buy a normal weekly amount, I think we might find that more shops restrict to basket-sized shops (or capped quantities of items, but that has the same effect of driving more frequent trips to shops). I agree more frequent shopping trips is bad for exposure, but if it means that everyone has access to food then it might be the only way long-term.

We’re on day 7 of a 14 day complete quarantine and I’m becoming genuinely terrified, as we eat through our stores, that I won’t be able to find anything in the shops when we’re allowed out again. It’s extremely hard to manage with children in the house without panicking them. I had a cry in the shower yesterday so they couldn’t see and worry.

There’s no home-delivery slots available at all here now - not from supermarkets, veg box delivery services, etc. I hope things will be fixed in the week before we’re allowed out. With all children now off school, hopefully commercial deliveries that would have gone to schools for lunches will now be redirected to supermarkets etc but I suppose that will take time to organise.

I am scared too @lissyflo. (((HUGS))).
I keep telling myself we are all going to be OK. We are all going to come through this. Your situation is so much more difficult with the kiddos. Sending you lots of well wishes and good thoughts.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy . I didn’t realise until I re-read what I’d posted that I’d said basket-sized shops might be the only long-term solution. How terrifying is that? In the space of pretty much a week, things have changed from 21st century life, with whatever we want at our fingertips (we could have Amazon Now delivered within an hour of clicking the buy button), to subconsciously accepting that food rationing is likely to be a long-term control across multiple continents.

No Armageddon sci-fi film will ever cut the mustard again - the psychological feeling of being under assault from an invisible germ enemy, from food shortage, from massive change in society, from isolation is truly hideous.

Edited: I’m sorry all, that’s a truly depressing post. I will find something fun to post in the meme thread as compensation, I promise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results