carat
color
clarity

Couldn’t pass this buy.......

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've got such a vast collection Bron.

Could you take a trip to one of the labs, get a report on them and then sell them to fund your settings.

You can always find good homes for them even if you sell them.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bron,

Your thread was very interesting to me. Could you please elaborate how you determined the treatments used on the sapphire and how you concluded it was natural? I just bought a sapphire on eBay. The seller assured me it is untreated and natural but still it seems highly improbable.... I’m suspecting it might be synthetic. I’ve researched the breath test, shining a light to see what colours it reflects, looking for bubbles, lines etc... any insight would be appreciated!

Your sapphire is a beauty. Is it actually quite valuable?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
You are in a league of your own. Now just have one of our jade goddesses find you something and trade!
Is 9mm too big for earrings? #askingforafriendwithbigears

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bron,

Your thread was very interesting to me. Could you please elaborate how you determined the treatments used on the sapphire and how you concluded it was natural? I just bought a sapphire on eBay. The seller assured me it is untreated and natural but still it seems highly improbable.... I’m suspecting it might be synthetic. I’ve researched the breath test, shining a light to see what colours it reflects, looking for bubbles, lines etc... any insight would be appreciated!

Your sapphire is a beauty. Is it actually quite valuable?

It’s easier to identify natural gems IF they have typical inclusions.
lab grown material is generally totally clean under a x20 loupe. Like nothing to see! That’s when you look for what’s called curved striae. These are growth lines that occur as part of the flame fusion process. They literally “drip” the liquid making a rod called a boule.
Because lab grown sapphire is essentially identical in chemical composition to natural sapphire (there can be minor variations under detailed analysis) there aren’t many “at home” tests you can do. Basically you rely on magnified examination looking for inclusions that only a ”from the ground” sapphire can have or looking for “nothing” and the curved striae growth lines that only a lab grown sapphire will have.
if you use a loupe x 20 magnification and can’t see “anything” that’s a pretty strong indication it’s not natural. Sure there are “almost perfect” natural gems out there but these are rare and higher magnification (microscope) with reveal more.

Attachments

• 3FAF8CE3-AA96-4E53-A6D2-061608DF1534.jpeg
    3FAF8CE3-AA96-4E53-A6D2-061608DF1534.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 21

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a find! You are amazing Bron, there must be a reason why sapphires are attracted to you.

In any case congrats on such an awesome ring, it's beautiful and at $200 what a steal!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are in a league of your own. Now just have one of our jade goddesses find you something and trade!
Is 9mm too big for earrings? #askingforafriendwithbigears

The pair I have would make totally amazing earrings.
A while back I enquired at my jeweller thinking of doing a diamond halo at least 10 pointers and hanging them off like a straight bar drops also set with diamonds in the drop. Just a very rough quote was the other side of $10,000. Ouch.
and I’m not that keen on earrings because I can’t see them when theyre on!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results