shape
carat
color
clarity

Could you/would you mix D E F color?

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I’m thinking about purchasing a five stone right hand ring and trying to figure out if you could mix D, E, F stones without it being too obvious. They would be ~.30 each for a tcw of 1.5. I’ve noticed at this size there isn’t much of a price difference between DEF and GHI. It seems like when I find three or four that match really well proportion wise, the fifth one that would match is a different color.

Unfortunately, there’s no where close that would have idea spec diamonds for me to see in person.

Reactions: AV_

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know about them right next to each other. One grade is probably ok, I’m unsure about 2 grades, but I’m thinking it’s probably ok?

Do you have these stones? Why would you do it?

My 3 stone sapphire and CBI has an E and F and my 7 stone aqua has 3 H and 3 I stone but they are both separated by a colored stone in the middle.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
In this size, sure. [don't ask for a cuoff! - over one carat, sure enough]

D & E in any size, in fact.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, at 0.20ct and larger I know I see slight color difference between D and F, and I know I see a slight color difference between D-no-fluor and E-with-faint-fluor ... personally I'd probably buy the 4 matching stones and then wait to find the 5th stone, unless you are buying the ring already created (versus custom) so that you have a return period and can inspect the ring in your various lighting environments? Of course YMMV.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would keep searching or have a jeweler help find matching sizes and colors. I'm very color sensitive and can easily tell between 2 grades, especially if they are set next to each other.

L

lydial

My cluster ring is K with F halo, anything works as long as you like it... but the stones will not look the same of course!

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
i can’t really tell D & E apart but I rarely fail to differentiate E & F.
So I won’t put DEF next to one another.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
A few thoughts:

- someone looking at a ring, vs someone looking to differentiate color in two diamonds, are very different things. The vast majority of folks will be looking at the piece in general (and from a distance) and not notice subtle differences of any sort

- d e f are narrow bands. bands like j and k are much wider (ie the difference between d and f is much less than j and l). noticing (and caring about) about a one- band difference is different at lower colors than higher colors

- all else equal, smaller diamonds look whiter. If you’re concerned about color differences, try to make the larger ones the lower colors and smaller ones the higher color (oops, sorry, just realized you aren’t talking graduated, never mind)

- depending on your finger size, the diamonds may curve such that one end isn’t really comparable to the other - you could stick the odd color at one end

- I’d keep an eye on fluorescence - to me the difference between the blue in daylight of a strong blue e vs a non-Fluor e is much bigger than an e to an f color difference

- cut quality affects how colored they appear - you might want better cuts on the lower colors to help equalize them

i say this all as a someone who distinguishes color easily but is ok within a range. I would be ok mixing them if they’re not fluorescent and you can see them first and pick a layout

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring mixes G (rose cut sidestones) and N (center ideal OEC cut) and I am very happy with it. I think you should view the diamonds in question face up and decide for yourself.

GranteedEV

Rough_Rock
the important thing is nice cuts / polish for maximum white light return. Assuming that, the color differenxe would only be noticeable from a side profile view, against a pretty white background

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would not mix 3 color grades of the same sized diamonds on a five stone ring. I would mix 2 color grades if the jeweler verifies the color difference is not noticeable. I mixed four H's with one I on mine and cannot see the difference. I also do not look for it, which I feel I would have if there was one that was two color grades different. Look forward to seeing what you get. I think my five stone is my favorite ring I own.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty colour sensitive, so I think I might be able to tell a D from an F, but don't forget that stones are graded face-down, and when they are throwing white light and coloured fire, it will be difficult to tell which is which! That said, flat indoor lighting can be conducive to showing body tint, so there might be circumstances where differences might be visible.

May I ask where you are considering buying from? BGD does stones down to 0.2ct IIRC, and their 'Advance' offerings are marginally cheaper because you are buying before they've been cut/graded.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Thread hijack!

My engagement ring mixes G (rose cut sidestones) and N (center ideal OEC cut)

!

This must be seen! - when & if you mihht find time & inspiration to post.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I’ve viewed what seems like 100’s of pics/videos now comparing colors and to me it was hard to tell a difference between D & E and F & G. D & F did look like they may too far apart so I’ll stick to only one color grade difference if I need to.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results