shape
carat
color
clarity

Could you help me with the choice? :)

cyprian94

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

So as it turns out all stars aligned and due to pandemic there's someone who can bring the ring from the US to UK for me :)

Therefore, the choice of merchant was pretty simple - D.NEA (good reviews, really appreciate the fact Eric is very open and generally makes really good impression + is super helpful!)

My requirements were pretty flexible - colour within F-D, VS1, VVS2, 1.3ct-1.6ct. I'd really like to avoid any inclusions on the table and would be great if they could be hidden behind one of the six prongs (both my SO and I like very classic platinum setting look of Tiffany Setting, i.e. I'll work with D.NEA to produce something similar).

I've been shown these two diamonds:

1) https://www.igi.org/viewpdf.php?r=LG414096022,
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/dia-video-bucket/video/64702-LG.html
1.42ct, D, VVS1 (HPHT, type II)
Attachment.png
vs

2) https://www.om-barak.com/barak/Output/Certificates/414091560.pdf
1.52ct, E, VS1 (CVD, type IIa)
1592521616003.png

and this last one

3) http://dtol-cert-images.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/IGI_jpg/414093385.jpg
1.27ct, D, VS1 (HPHT, type II)
1592521732091.png

I think the order of them is not random, this is so far my preference. In terms of prices, the first two are priced pretty competitively (option 2 is $200 more), whereas option #3 will obviously be cheaper by $1.3k.

I'd love to hear your views whether you think the first one doesn't seem to be an overkill both in terms of clarity and colour. I got caught off-guard by it as I wasn't really even looking at VVS1 and D colour (glad that it's within my price range and deinitely within the carat size!)
Another thing I was thinking about is that only option 2) is CVD and Type IIa (I know it doesn't really matter to such a newbie as I am but should it matter?)

Also at least to my eye - the only inclusion I can see on that IGI report for version 1 is tiny bit from the bottom of the diamond which surely will be covered by the prong?

Lastly - even though my favourite, option number 1 seems to appear 'average' for its size while #2 and #3 appear 'big' - unsure how much of a difference does that particular metric make and whether it actually should be taken into consideration?

I'm actually very curious of all the expert answers here so looking forward to hearing what you guys think! :)

Thanks,
Cyprian

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I like the angles and video of 1. Do you have any videos of 2?

cyprian94

Rough_Rock
Good to hear!

Unfortunately not, I don't have video at this moment. I'll ask them if and when it may be available

cyprian94

Rough_Rock
Let's try again as it seems it didn't catch people's attention.

I'm literally THIS close to pulling the trigger on option number 1. Is there any reason it'd be a bad deal for ~$4,500? OR perhaps should I consider looking for something bigger, dropping down on the clarity and colour a little bit and trying to find something closer to 2ct in this price range?

Oh and for the setting Jeff from D.NEA suggested this would be similar to Tiffany Setting:

image-2.png image-3.png image-4.png

I'll just tag the experts hoping to catch your opinion! :) @lovedogs @OoohShiny

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone 1 looks good. I would personally drop color and clarity to get a bigger stone, but that is personal preference. How color sensitive is your GF? And would she want something bigger?

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
My #1 issue with lab stones is that so many, even at high color gradings, have a pink or brown cast to them. Your first stone looks free of that and gets my vote. I also think the size is great, especially for the UK where the average stone is much smaller than in the US.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 1, personally speaking - even if IGI are slightly 'soft' on colour and clarity grading, a stated D VVS1 gives you plenty of room to still be eye clean and colourless :)

No.2 would likely look a bit bigger if side by side with No.1, but you won't be wearing two diamonds side by side... ;-)

As mentioned, it will still be a substantial stone for the UK!

re: pricing, we don't yet have an online comparison tool between vendors so we have to do the legwork and check out different sites - the 'list of MMD vendors' thread in this section of the forum has some options :)

One of them (brain failure - I can't remember who right now...) lists out their margin and their wholesale costs, so is useful to compare with what one might be being offered elsewhere.

If the vendor has good Returns policies, you could order and assess at home :) Just make sure to check the shipping and insurance costs / arrangements up-front!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Be careful with dropping color and clarity on lab stones. Lab stones have different color and inclusion characteristics so the usual rules of thumb don't apply, necessarily.

I would just do #1 rather than chasing a unicorn.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results