shape
carat
color
clarity

Could use some diamond stud earings advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys,

My fiance has hinted that she might want stud earrings as a gift this holiday season. I spent forever picking out for her the perfect engagement ring, and now it has dawned on me that I have no idea how to shop for studs.

Is there a size range I should be aiming for? Her engagement ring is 1.40 carats, G-VS1 and she's a petite woman who prefers a simpler look over a "flashy" look. With those considerations in mind, what size studs should I be shopping for?

Also, do I simply match two loose diamonds and have them set, or do matching sets already exist? I'd like to get her studs in a platinum basket setting to match her ring. I think she would think that's a sweet gesture.

Unless she's been secretly hating the basket setting all these months. Then I'm just compounding my buffoonery
7.gif

In any case, do you guys have recommendations on where to shop and what to look for? As always, I am much obliged for your help.

ETA: I almost forgot - I was reading elsewhere that you could even have different types of backs? Tension back or screwback or something like that? Do you have anay recommendations? It's funny how clueless I am the minute we're not talking about round brilliant solitaire E-Rings...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend at least .5 in each ear (1 ct. ctw) up to .7 each (1.4 ctw). If you buy individual stones, then you can always upgrade them later if you buy from one of the vendors like WF ot GOG who allow lifetime upgrades of H&A stones. The other option is the Ready-set-go sets from WF, but those cannot be upgraded. I''d choose individual stones maybe around a half carat each and later on you can increase the size if she wants. Or you can buy little halo things (can''t think of the word right this sec) to sit them in to give a different look!

You are a very good fiance, by the way!
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi UDM! What a coincidence, my ring stone is the same size and specs! And I''m not a flashy gal either.
2.gif
So I just upgraded to my forever pair from WF. They are .58 cts. each. It'' sa very nice size, certainly noticable, but far from flashy. I think thery''re perfect! (not sure what your budget is though...)

If you go through WF, you can either pick them out yourself (I did, but I''m really picky, lol) or just ask them to do it. If you go with ACA''s, or ES, they are upgadable. If you go with the Ready, set to go type, they are not upgradable.

Personally, I wouldn''t buy Platinum settings, I just don''t think it''s necessary with earrings, but that''s totally your call!

HTH

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol ds, hubby called before I hit post, so I repeated a lot!

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ellen and DS! I appreciate you gals chiming in. It sounds like you both agree on the 0.5-0.6 carat range (each), and I trust your judgment.

I didn't realize I'd be pushing $3,000 though.
6.gif
Glad I can set them in white gold.

So now is it simply a matter of inputting the specs onto the WF page (0.50-0.60, G-H, VS2-SI1, A Cut Above) and picking two stones that match up? Or am I missing something? (NB: I am usually missing something.)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 12:24:29 PM
Author: Upside Down Man
Thanks Ellen and DS! I appreciate you gals chiming in. It sounds like you both agree on the 0.5-0.6 carat range (each), and I trust your judgment.

I didn''t realize I''d be pushing $3,000 though.
6.gif
Glad I can set them in white gold.

So now is it simply a matter of inputting the specs onto the WF page (0.50-0.60, G-H, VS2-SI1, A Cut Above) and picking two stones that match up? Or am I missing something? (NB: I am usually missing something.)
Nope, you got it! But listen, if you''re not wanting to spend quite that much now, that''s ok! Just get maybe .30 ish now, and upgrade later. Nothing wrong with that.
2.gif
And it''s still a great size!

Just make sure you look at diameter, not ct. weight as the deciding factor! You want the same or very close, so the ct. weight might not be exact.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have .38''s now and think it''s a great size (4.75mm). someday i will probably hit the .5 mark but these are a good, noticable size. because they are such a great cut, they look just as big as the mediocre .5''s you will see everyday. if you don''t want to make the price jump at the carat weight mark, i would say look just under that and you will be perfectly happy. i have no regrets!

best of luck!

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
You guys are incredible! Thanks so much. Tracy at WF has put these together for me:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Matching_Compare.aspx?oldID=114956&newID=114962

0.424 and 0.427 H-VS2 ACAs

4.82-4.84x2.97
4.83-4.86x2.98

looks like they match up pretty well. I loved your idea about the ACA upgrades, too - if for some reason she''s not happy with the 42-pointers, I can always upgrade later without having to take the $3,000 plunge right now. The studs will be $1762 total after the Pricescope discount, and the white gold setting will be $21 because of their "November is ACA month" promotion.

I haven''t asked Tracy if they are eye-clean yet (I forgot on the phone), but at VS2 I''m not *too* concerned, plus if anyone is that close to her ears to notice the studs are not eye-clean, I have bigger problems than the diamonds.

Can you guys think of any reason not to buy these?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
those look extremely well matched and you are right, there is no need to check eyeclean on vs stones. especially not in earrings! no one but you should ever be that close!
23.gif

good for you picking out such a great gift!
36.gif
happy happy holidays!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
At VS2 you don't need to ask. That is a killer pair, even for the very picky moi!
36.gif

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm. What about these two instead?

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=3830,3828

These are F-SI1s with a 4.77 diameter. They have a Sarin report (the H-VS2s don''t) and their idealscopes look better. Also, should I be concerned that the other ones are in H color? The prices between these two sets are comparable, so that shouldn''t be an issue. Really I''m just curious what would be more noticeable - the size difference or the color difference, if at all? And also whether I should be concerned about the ideal scope of the Hs compared to the Fs - we are talking about ACAs after all.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 1:37:37 PM

Really I''m just curious what would be more noticeable - the size difference or the color difference, if at all?
neither will be noticably different. even side by side.
go with whichever ''feels'' right to you.
2.gif

you are right, you can''t go wrong with aca.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with belle, size difference is negligible.

I wouldn''t say the IS on these looks better, just different. The one looks like it could possibly be the new line, but maybe not. At any rate, being the picky person I am, if it were me, I''d go with the first pair. You aren''t going to see any color with the H, I have a G and an H, can''t tell the difference, and can''t see color in either.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys! if the size difference is negligble, I think at the end of the day I'll end up taking the Fs over the Hs. I realize the color difference is probably not noticeable as well, but, as belle said, "they just feel right." Bob at Whiteflash said they were eye-clean for SI1s, so that's good enough for me. Amazing how many weeks it took to shop for an engagement ring diamond vs. how many minutes it took to shop for studs.

Thanks so much for all your help!

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I like the 1st pair too. I don''t think the color or size difference would be noticeable. And I would prefer to have the VS2 over the SI1. What a great surprise for your fiancee!

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
UDM, I didn''t get to read your last post before I posted. I definitely think you should do what you feel most comfortable with. And it''s definitely good that the SI1 pair is eye-clean. I just bought a pair of ACA studs from WF and I''m very happy with them! The promotion they are running this month was very helpful too!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 2:16:55 PM
Thanks guys! if the size difference is negligble, I think at the end of the day I''ll end up taking the Fs over the Hs. I realize the color difference is probably not noticeable as well, but, as belle said, ''they just feel right.'' Bob at Whiteflash said they were eye-clean for SI1s, so that''s good enough for me. Amazing how many weeks it took to shop for an engagement ring diamond vs. how many minutes it took to shop for studs.

Thanks so much for all your help!
Would you do me a favor then? Ask them if the one is a new line? Because if it is, it will not "behave" quite like the other one, and I think that''s important in earrings. Of course, you may not, lol.
2.gif
Otherwise, it''s a lovely pair!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 2:36:27 PM
Author: Ellen
Would you do me a favor then? Ask them if the one is a new line? Because if it is, it will not ''behave'' quite like the other one, and I think that''s important in earrings. Of course, you may not, lol.
2.gif
Interesting. I will certainly ask them.

What is the difference between a "new line" and a "classic" of they are both ACA H&A? And why bother changing the line? Now I''m confused again!
23.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 2:41:26 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 2:36:27 PM
Would you do me a favor then? Ask them if the one is a new line? Because if it is, it will not ''behave'' quite like the other one, and I think that''s important in earrings. Of course, you may not, lol.
2.gif
Interesting. I will certainly ask them.

What is the difference between a ''new line'' and a ''classic'' of they are both ACA H&A? And why bother changing the line? Now I''m confused again!
23.gif
The new line is edge to edge light return. While I haven''t seen one, they''re scinillation is described as more fluid, not the snappy on/off of the original ACA. They started it simply because some people prefer it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About the New Line vs. the Classic ACAs.
I couldn't decide either so I bought one of each (with the intention of returning one) and looked at them side by side for a week.
My conclusion is that they are both equally beautiful and ended up keeping the one that was slightly larger.

In certain lighting conditions I prefered one, in other lighting conditions I prefered the other.

I showed them to several people and asked which they prefered.
It was a tie.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 2:52:51 PM
Author: kenny
About the New Line vs. the Classic ACAs.
I couldn''t decide either so I bought one of each (with the intention of returning one) and looked at them side by side for a week.
My conclusion is that they are both equally beautiful and ended up keeping the one that was slightly larger.

In certain lighting conditions I prefered one, in other lighting conditions I prefered the other.

I showed them to several people and asked which they prefered.
It was a tie.
Hmmm. And what about having a pair, one being new line and one being classic. Would it be noticeable? Sounds like it might be.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
well, you''ve already picked, but two cents:

1/3 carat in each ear is a nice size
make sure the diameter and table size are the same or they look weird.
friction backs

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 2:56:32 PM

Hmmm. And what about having a pair, one being new line and one being classic. Would it be noticeable? Sounds like it might be.
it will be as noticable as ''g'' color to ''h'' color.
2.gif

btw...i have one ''i'' and one ''j'' unless i am STUDYING them side by side, i can''t tell them apart. i said all that to say simply, you probably won''t be able to tell them apart.
2.gif

the difference between the two cuts is extremely subtle and impercievable to some. definitely nothing *obvious*
i wouldn''t sweat it. at all.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:01:42 PM
Author: ladykemma
well, you''ve already picked, but two cents:

1/3 carat in each ear is a nice size
make sure the diameter and table size are the same or they look weird.
friction backs
Doh! The F-SI1s are a 54.3 table and a 56 table. The H-VS2s are 55.9 and 56.

Ellen - Bob said that one is a new line and one is a classic line, just as you guessed.

I guess this new information has me leaning back to the H-VS2s again! They are about $100 more, but at the end of the day that doesn''t make enough of a difference.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:04:59 PM
Author: belle

the difference between the two cuts is extremely subtle and impercievable to some. definitely nothing *obvious*
lol. I''m the captain of sweating things. I blame my parents for raising me this way :)

Am I now suddenly bothered by the 54.3/56 table difference? (As I said above, the H-VS2s are 55.9/56.)

Thanks for being so patient with me, guys. If you knew my fiance, you''d understand why I want to get this exactly right.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:04:59 PM
Author: belle
it will be as noticable as ''g'' color to ''h'' color.
2.gif

btw...i have one ''i'' and one ''j'' unless i am STUDYING them side by side, i can''t tell them apart. i said all that to say simply, you probably won''t be able to tell them apart.
2.gif

But belle, by kenny''s post, people did seem to be able to tell the difference. I think some people might not, but I would bet a lot could. Not meaning to be argumentitive, just saying...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:08:12 PM

Thanks for being so patient with me, guys. If you knew my fiance, you''d understand why I want to get this exactly right.
GET THE FIRST PAIR.
9.gif
2.gif

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:09:42 PM
GET THE FIRST PAIR.
9.gif
2.gif
I just did.

I can''t imagine how annoying I must have been to the folks at WF. Heaven bless them for their customer service.

And thanks to you guys (once again) for alll your help. I am in your debt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results