shape
carat
color
clarity

Could use some diamond stud earings advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:08:12 PM
Author: Upside Down Man

Date: 11/22/2006 3:04:59 PM
Author: belle

the difference between the two cuts is extremely subtle and impercievable to some. definitely nothing *obvious*
i wouldn''t sweat it. at all.
lol. I''m the captain of sweating things. I blame my parents for raising me this way :)

Am I now suddenly bothered by the 54.3/56 table difference? (As I said above, the H-VS2s are 55.9/56.)

Thanks for being so patient with me, guys. If you knew my fiance, you''d understand why I want to get this exactly right.
okay...i know...easier said than done.
2.gif
we''ve all been there. seriously, ps buyers are some of the most anal and exacting customers around. sometimes you just need to take a step back and get a little reassurance from those of us who have ''been there and done that''
2.gif

i''ve said it before, you can drive yourself crazy trying to find a better better. and even crazier trying to find better than that!
40.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
The first pair IS exactly right and you are going to be her hero when she sees those beauties!!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 2:56:32 PM

Hmmm. And what about having a pair, one being new line and one being classic. Would it be noticeable? Sounds like it might be.
Most people don''t note the differences without guidance, even when comparing the different styles next to each other. Once pointed out the fine nuances may become detectable, but it''s like comparing two close cabernets... Side by side, with a cracker between them, you may taste more black currant in one and cherry in the other, but in context with a meal they have equal appeal.

As regards matching-up earrings, UDM the choice is yours - but as Brian Gavin says; "there is always a nose between the ears." You can''t go wrong either way.

Here is a thread from some time ago, when Josh Rioux picked up one of each for his lady''s lobe strobes.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:14:43 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 3:09:42 PM
Author: Ellen
GET THE FIRST PAIR.
9.gif
2.gif
I just did.

I can''t imagine how annoying I must have been to the folks at WF. Heaven bless them for their customer service.

And thanks to you guys (once again) for alll your help. I am in your debt.
yay!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:14:43 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 3:09:42 PM
GET THE FIRST PAIR.
9.gif
2.gif
I just did.

I can''t imagine how annoying I must have been to the folks at WF. Heaven bless them for their customer service.

And thanks to you guys (once again) for alll your help. I am in your debt.
They are the best.

Congrats, it was fun! And your girl is getting a killer pair of studs. Wish I could see her face when she gets them!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:17:07 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 11/22/2006 2:56:32 PM

Hmmm. And what about having a pair, one being new line and one being classic. Would it be noticeable? Sounds like it might be.
Most people don''t note the differences without guidance, even when comparing the different styles next to each other. Once pointed out the fine nuances may become detectable, but it''s like comparing two close cabernets... Side by side, with a cracker between them, you may taste more black currant in one and cherry in the other, but in context with a meal they have equal appeal.

As regards matching-up earrings, UDM the choice is yours - but as Brian Gavin says; ''there is always a nose between the ears.'' You can''t go wrong either way.

Here is a thread from some time ago, when Josh Rioux picked up one of each for his lady''s lobe strobes.
I would see it, but then, I put the P in picky. I had a pair of your classic line inbetween my first and last set, that I sent back because they didn''t "behave" the same.
11.gif

It''s a curse. But Lesley said she''s the same way and I must be her long lost twin. I felt better.
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:08:28 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 3:04:59 PM
it will be as noticable as ''g'' color to ''h'' color.
2.gif

btw...i have one ''i'' and one ''j'' unless i am STUDYING them side by side, i can''t tell them apart. i said all that to say simply, you probably won''t be able to tell them apart.
2.gif

the difference between the two cuts is extremely subtle and impercievable to some. definitely nothing *obvious*
i wouldn''t sweat it. at all.
But belle, by kenny''s post, people did seem to be able to tell the difference. I think some people might not, but I would bet a lot could. Not meaning to be argumentitive, just saying...
i am not disagreeing that there are differences ellen (we''re not arguing!) i''m just saying the differences are subtle, like one color grade to another. some may notice a difference and have a preference but others may not. the differences are not outstanding for sure and i am speaking from personal experience.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats UDM, she''s gonna be thrilled with them!! I have a pair from WF and they are amazing!! You''re such a nice fiancee!!!
36.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think this is the record breaking fastest transaction ever on pricescope!

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:36:54 PM
Author: ladykemma
i think this is the record breaking fastest transaction ever on pricescope!
lol.

Now I just need tips on "subtley hinting" that we need a big screen TV for the holidays. But that''s for another forum, I guess.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wel, UDM, sorry I missed all the excitement! But like Ellen, I strongly favored the first pair, which you bought. There was no question in my mind that they were a closer match than the second pair. And as a matter of fact, my target for diamond studs is exactly H VS2!

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 4:00:44 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Wel, UDM, sorry I missed all the excitement! But like Ellen, I strongly favored the first pair, which you bought. There was no question in my mind that they were a closer match than the second pair. And as a matter of fact, my target for diamond studs is exactly H VS2!
Very interesting, considering our targets for our engagement rings was 1.40 G/VS1.

There's now the small possibility in my mind that you ARE my fiancee, and I'm freaking out again.

I'm just teasing, of course. But that would be something.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2006 4:09:37 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 4:00:44 PM
Very interesting, considering our targets for our engagement rings was 1.40 G/VS1.

There''s now the small possibility in my mind that you ARE my fiancee, and I''m freaking out again.

I''m just teasing, of course. But that would be something.
9.gif
ROTFLOL!!! I absolutely promise that I have been married a REALLY long time and I am not your fiance! But I just think we both happen to have very good taste!
2.gif
My new diamond was for an anniversary, technically.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless her head is 1/10 inch wide you won''t be able to detect any difference.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I hope UDM doesn''t mind my asking, but enquiring minds MUST know.

John (and belle) say the differece is so subtle, people need coaxing to see the difference. I wonder then, why bother, if they are THAT close.

But then, kenny gets opinions from people (and I would assume doesn''t say which is which) and reports that results were tied, and no mention of anyone saying they couldn''t tell the difference. Plus, kenny could notice they behaved differently in different lighting, which again tells me, there IS a more noticable difference.

BUT, then kenny implies that with a head inbetween, no, the difference would not be noticable.

I''m confused. Anyone?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I showed the stones they were both in clip-rings side by side.
I told people that they were a different kind of cut.
I asked which they prefered.
I gave no coaching or explanation of what to look for.
Half picked one, half the other.

You can detect a difference if side by side.
If not side by side it would be hard to identify which is which.
The difference is VERY subtle to my eyes.
I imagine if I worked with diamonds every day for 30 years the looks may appear more distinctive; I don't know.

Also the difference is about what the diamonds do with light.
Light WILL be different on two sides of the same head.
Identical diamonds will look different too.

A diamond is a little box of windows and mirrors.
Change what's around it and you change what is seen.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe...even though i am just in a parenthses, i will answer.

as i said before, it is like the difference in a color grade. side by side, some people can tell the difference and have a preference and others don''t have strong feelings or can''t see a difference. for those that have a definite preference, thankfully there is more than just one option. for the rest of us, there is just hairsplitting craziness.
40.gif
of course these differences, just like in color, may become more apparent with size so as a stone gets bigger (over 1ct) these preferences may play a more prominent role. (i think i have hit the limit for the words ''preference'' and ''difference''!
37.gif
)

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 4:39:05 PM
Author: kenny

Also the difference is about what they do to light.
Well, that is certainly a fair point.

Ellen, in response to your question, knowing that one is new line and one is classic suddenly doesn't make them "mind clean" for me anymore. I know it sounds ridiculous, especially when we are talking about ACAs, but having read my other posts I'm sure by now you're not surprised at how neurotic I can be.

Add that to the fact that the tables were not matching the way the H/VS2s did, and suddenly the only benefit the second pair had over the first pair was the F color, and maybe $150 less expensive.

The big shocker ending is that the irony is, if my fiancee wore Pair One for one week, and wore Pair Two for another week, I doubt I'd even recognize a difference :) But it is what it is, and $150 extra to put my mind to sleep was worth it to me. Plus, everyone without exception chose Pair One when given the choice. That didn't hurt.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 4:49:38 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 4:39:05 PM
Author: kenny

Also the difference is about what they do to light.
Well, that is certainly a fair point.

Ellen, in response to your question, knowing that one is new line and one is classic suddenly doesn''t make them ''mind clean'' for me anymore. I know it sounds ridiculous, especially when we are talking about ACAs, but having read my other posts I''m sure by now you''re not surprised at how neurotic I can be.

Add that to the fact that the tables were not matching the way the H/VS2s did, and suddenly the only benefit the second pair had over the first pair was the F color, and maybe $150 less expensive.

The big shocker ending is that the irony is, if my fiancee wore Pair One for one week, and wore Pair Two for another week, I doubt I''d even recognize a difference :) But it is what it is, and $150 extra to put my mind to sleep was worth it to me. Plus, everyone without exception chose Pair One when given the choice. That didn''t hurt.
when you get to this level, you need something to hairsplit about to make a decision no matter how crazy or ridiculous it may seem. how else can we decide between all of these superideals?
37.gif
there was no doubt the first pair was awesome and you found something that made them the better choice for you. what more can you ask for?
36.gif

i think it''s just super sweet that she ''hinted'' about studs and you went out and bought her the very best.
36.gif
that is a real man!
30.gif

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 4:55:38 PM
i think it's just super sweet that she 'hinted' about studs and you went out and bought her the very best.
36.gif
that is a real man!
30.gif

1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, Belle! But truthfully, the insanity over numbers is because we can''t see both sets of stones together to be able to see whether we''d be able to detect differences at all. It''s just reassuring to have the stones closely matched so we are more certain we don''t have to return something! Lol! I am in the same boat..I wasn''t happy matching up a .718 and a .74 because I had some small doubts about them being the best possible match, which has resulted in me waiting for more stones to choose from.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny, thanks for the elaboration.

UDM, I understand, I also put the A in Anal. (I also noticed the tables, but did not want to inflict anymore of my nuerotic tendencies on you)
9.gif

Miss belle, forgive me for putting you in parentheses!
2.gif

However, I shall still ponder (to myself), if the difference is THAT subtle, why do it? *sigh*

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 5:03:51 PM

However, I shall still ponder (to myself), if the difference is THAT subtle, why do it? *sigh*
Maybe I misunderstood your question. Do you mean: "UDM, if the difference is THAT subtle, why flip-flop from Pair One to Pair Two over it?" or do you mean "Whiteflash, if the difference is THAT subtle, why bother making a new line at all?"

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 5:10:04 PM

Maybe I misunderstood your question. Do you mean: ''UDM, if the difference is THAT subtle, why flip-flop from Pair One to Pair Two over it?'' or do you mean ''Whiteflash, if the difference is THAT subtle, why bother making a new line at all?''
Oh, sorry! I am asking WF.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She''s talking about WF, not you. You still have pair #1, right?

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 5:13:49 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 5:10:04 PM

Maybe I misunderstood your question. Do you mean: ''UDM, if the difference is THAT subtle, why flip-flop from Pair One to Pair Two over it?'' or do you mean ''Whiteflash, if the difference is THAT subtle, why bother making a new line at all?''
The quick answer I got from Bob at WF was that it was done in response to the eightstar branded stones, which had completely red idealscopes images. But of course I leave it to John Q or anyone else closer to the source to give a real answer.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 5:14:50 PM
She''s talking about WF, not you. You still have pair #1, right?
Still got em.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 5:17:00 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 5:13:49 PM

The quick answer I got from Bob at WF was that it was done in response to the eightstar branded stones, which had completely red idealscopes images. But of course I leave it to John Q or anyone else closer to the source to give a real answer.
Thanks. I hope he weighs in here.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 4:33:03 PM

John (and belle) say the differece is so subtle, people need coaxing to see the difference. I wonder then, why bother, if they are THAT close.

But then, kenny gets opinions from people (and I would assume doesn''t say which is which) and reports that results were tied, and no mention of anyone saying they couldn''t tell the difference. Plus, kenny could notice they behaved differently in different lighting, which again tells me, there IS a more noticable difference.

I''d hazard a guess that no one said "I cannot tell the difference" for two reasons......

#1 - because they were told up front that there was a difference in cut, so they think they are supposed to see a difference....and
#2 - because they were asked to pick one. Uunless the choices presented were a) I prefer the one on the left, b) I prefer the one on the right, or c) I like them both equally, they likely wouldn''t say "I can''t tell the difference."

Further, Kenny simply said "which one do you like more", and they selected one. Once. And in his case, one was bigger, so you couldn''t mix them up and have someone pick more than once....they would be able to see which was bigger.

It''s much different when you sit with 5-6 stones (a mix of classic and new line) that are all the same size, and you are asked to pick them in order of preference. And then mix up the stones and repeat that exercise....and do it 3-4 times. I''ve done that at Whiteflash twice now, as has Mara, and I can assure you that we''d be hard-pressed to consistently pick out one style from the other.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results