shape
carat
color
clarity

Could it be...diamonds?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of earrings from my aunt/godmother from yearsssss ago. I have always assumed they were CZ since they are a decent size (around .35-.40 each). I decided to clean them today in my US cleaner since they have never been cleaned. :knockout: Once clean and dry, I noticed that the stones are not matched well. They look close in size face up, but from the side view you can see that one stone is very shallow, a lot more so then the other and the table is a lot bigger. I doubt that these stones would be very valuable diamonds if they are, but I started to wonder if they are indeed diamonds as opposed to the CZ I always assumed they were.

Is it possible that a pair of CZ set in yellow gold studs would be mismatched looking in depth, table size, and pavilion height?

hmmm, makes me wonder.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Just take them to your jeweler. They will be able to tell you in about 3 seconds whether they are real or not. I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha, I am definitely going to do that. I just thought it was weird that my CZ were not matching...so the wheels started turning. :twirl:

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if they're diamonds but I don't think anyone makes mismatched (size, depth and table) CZ's... Here's hoping for you!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I see ugly jewels everyday...even with mismatched CZs...most of the people in my social circle buy mall gold rings/earrings with CZs, very often ugly CZs.
My friends/family can't detect any difference between CZs and diamonds, between good cut stones and poor cut stones...I feel bad for them, they consider me too picky/snobbish.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My mother had a pair of what she thought were CZs from my father that turned out to be diamonds. :bigsmile: Get it checked out - you never know!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Edit: Double post gremlin!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
My great grandfather was a watchmaker and used to wear a ring with a real 3-carat diamond. (He died before I was born.) I somehow ended up with my great grandmother's engagement ring and was excited to get it reset. It was so dirty, it looked horrible. Not only was it not a diamond, but not even a real white sapphire. The old goat was so cheap he got her a fake! :knockout: Amy, here's hoping yours are the real deal.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1291087944|2782374 said:
My great grandfather was a watchmaker and used to wear a ring with a real 3-carat diamond. (He died before I was born.) I somehow ended up with my great grandmother's engagement ring and was excited to get it reset. It was so dirty, it looked horrible. Not only was it not a diamond, but not even a real white sapphire. The old goat was so cheap he got her a fake! :knockout: Amy, here's hoping yours are the real deal.

oh jeez! lol.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1291087944|2782374 said:

so what happened to your great grandfather's ring??

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Cut variation like that is usually a diamond thing, not a sims thing.

If you look at the girdles you might have a good guess as to whether they're diamonds. If the girdles are bruted (frosted in appearance, which is probably what these would be, if diamond) or faceted, they're almost certainly diamond. If the girdle is smooth and polished but not faceted, CZ most likely.

Any jewelry store should be willing to test for free, it just takes a second with the electronic tester.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
verdict is in....

CZ! boooo! lol

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1293557866|2807969 said:
verdict is in....

CZ! boooo! lol

Oh, boo, hiss...well you win some you lose some!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Double that boo, hiss. :knockout:
And sorry to not be paying attention slg, the 3-carat ring went to one of my grandfather's brothers and from there nobody seems to know; a family mystery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results