shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco not providing certificate prior to purchase

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I am new to this, looking for an engagement ring. I've learned a lot reading through this site. I've done my research and I know what I'm looking for. We found a ring on the Costco website (in Canada) that doesn't have any further information other than carat (1), clarity(VS2) and color (I). They say an IGI certificate is available, which I asked to see and they responded that it can only be accessed on the IGI website after purchase. Is this for real? Am I just speaking to the wrong person? This is just very unusual considering how every other store easily provides the GIA or IGI certificate for reference. How can we possibly be expected to purchase a diamond online, without even seeing it in person, or even a photo, or at the very least the certificate? It's too bad because the price is amazing... maybe that's why? I realize their return policy is exceptionally good but I short list all the diamonds based on cut and proportions before even considering looking at them. It's just annoying because I might be missing out on a great diamond but I really don't want the trouble of ordering, shipping, receiving just to see that it's not even an ideal cut or has bad proportions. Otherwise the setting is perfect and even the correct size (which is rare since most of their rings are standard size 7)

This is from the site:
"This item comes with a Jewellery Identification Report from the International Gemological Institute (IGI). This is to certify that the item described above is genuine, and has been independently examined in the laboratories of IGI.

We guarantee that all diamonds supplied by Costco Wholesale are as follows: Clarity to be “VS2” or better and colour to be “I” or better as outlined on the industry grading guide."

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it means something to YOU to see the IGI or GIA report BEFORE buying, then Costco has no interest in your business. In nearly all cases, there are wonderful alternatives available. Very few diamonds are truly unique to the point where another can't be readily substituted. Sometimes, there is a price incentive that makes finding a substitute more difficult. Sometimes a very limited range of your own cut parameters limits finding a substitute. Being open to a wider range of what is acceptable will widen the possibilities of finding what is truly suitable and available.

There may be several folks who will insist that IGI is not equivalent to GIA. IGI is not GIA, but just as capable and professional. IGI is accepted in the same manner in many parts of the world just as GIA is accepted here. Their grading is relatively equivalent and due to the subjective grading system in place for diamonds, one must expect small disparities. Nevertheless, buying without all the parameters and without the document, adds a lot of extra doubt and potential aggravation to what ought to be a relatively easy and safe purchase when the paperwork is provided up front.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Jewellery Identification Report"
Is not a gemological report like a GIA or AGSL report.
It is inferior in my opinion it is done while the stone is mounted which is not a good way to do a lab grading report being less accurate than grading the diamond without the setting and they even state so on the site.
“As mounting permits”

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
IGI has a history with the US branch being the worst of doing garbage reports like valuation reports this report is just another example. Garbage.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in the US. Just did a quick search and there are some with GIA reports and the # is listed in the description so you can check the report, others have the generic “jewelry appraisal”. I didn’t see anything with an IGI report.

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
Well, here's the update! He decided to go for it and figured we can just return it if it wasn't right.... and the verdict is WE ARE KEEPING IT! It doesn't have the absolute perfect proportions but it's pretty close! My only concern was the shallow crown angle, but with a 41 PA, I guess it works! I used the HCA and it's 0.8. It faces up huge and the I color doesn't look yellow at all. It's also a VS1 which is better than the minimum VS2 they promise.

B3A21B76-E993-4423-A9A6-0016E49719D6.jpeg CE676891-5A46-4766-A4F9-C99766C520A2.png 807FEBCB-9C79-4530-BDB5-F7682979F07E.jpeg 05DE3A68-2C76-42D4-A52E-A626504CDF8A.jpeg

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
tempImageAMNNy7.png

This is a pic in natural cloudy day light, shows how white it is for an I. I'm super happy with it and very excited to finally be engaged!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, it’s absolutely lovely! Costco usually has good quality jewelry so I think it’s a great purchase. Enjoy!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!! It looks perfect on your hand, and looks to be a really lovely stone to boot. Well done!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Well, here's the update! He decided to go for it and figured we can just return it if it wasn't right.... and the verdict is WE ARE KEEPING IT! It doesn't have the absolute perfect proportions but it's pretty close! My only concern was the shallow crown angle, but with a 41 PA, I guess it works! I used the HCA and it's 0.8. It faces up huge and the I color doesn't look yellow at all. It's also a VS1 which is better than the minimum VS2 they promise.

B3A21B76-E993-4423-A9A6-0016E49719D6.jpeg CE676891-5A46-4766-A4F9-C99766C520A2.png 807FEBCB-9C79-4530-BDB5-F7682979F07E.jpeg 05DE3A68-2C76-42D4-A52E-A626504CDF8A.jpeg

Stunning! Congratulations on your engagement!

Reactions: Kya

anon34985

Shiny_Rock

It's so pretty! Glad it all worked out, and here is my two cents why they wouldn't give the certificate before purchase: Costco has some "one of a kind rings" and others that they have mass quantities of, they don't know exactly what ring they are going to send until purchased, so it would be nearly impossible for them to send you a report unless you are getting a one of a kind ring, where they only have one of them available!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
tempImageAMNNy7.png

This is a pic in natural cloudy day light, shows how white it is for an I. I'm super happy with it and very excited to finally be engaged!!

wow !
thats a beauty
congradulations :appl:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
That’s a gorgeous ring! Wear it in good health.

btw I’m a big fan of Costco jewelry.
I have yet to purchase, but always eye their jewelry case. Enjoy and congrats!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring!! Congrats!!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Wow gorgeous ring!!! I live in Australia as we have a couple of Costcos here and there. I had no idea that they sold such high quality jewellery. One guess where Im headed this weekend :dance:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I've not been able to quickly find this same page (or information) duplicated on Costco's Canadian website (costco.ca), Costco.com promises that
All items with a 1.00 carat or larger diamond center stone will include a GIA Diamond Grading Report detailing the center diamond.

And I now see that your ring's diamond has a GIA report & the diamond is inscribed with the GIA lab report, woohoo. The ring is so lovely on your hand, ENJOY :dance:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely! I think you found a winner! My first upgrade stone came in with that score and it was a fire ball and I loved it. I hope you love yours!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results