shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco I, V2 color tennis bracelet or G, SI1 bracelet from Diamond Direct

Dee Dee

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I am searching for a tennis bracelet and undecided if I should pay more for a higher color and get less clarity.

I found a 4 carat 3 prong G,SI1 bracelet with 49 rbc diamonds at Diamond Direct, which is known for its wholesale business model. I love the look the 3 prong bracelet gives. It’s really brings some interest by breaking up the diamonds. My SA says he can get me a competitive price at $4,500 vs the $6800 price tag.

However, Costco has a 5 carat I, VS quality bracelet for $4000. The diamonds show up white and don’t clash with my Verragio ring and band. The Costco set is 4 prong and gives a seamless line of 63 diamonds and appears more square. Honestly, I like both.

My husband says he likes the 3 prong more, that’s it’s more dainty.

I wouldn’t want to go below I quality. I have seen some bracelets show very warm hues but these bracelets show up white.

Since the diamonds are small should I be more focused on color or on clarity? Obviously, I want a nice sparkle but want to stay below $5k, as I intend to build a stack over time.

My second concern, I can’t wrap my brain around paying more money for the 4 carat 3 prong tennis bracelet when I can purchase the 5 carat for less. It seems like 3 prong bracelets are more expensive in general. Can anyone vouch for that?

Note: I was previously thinking about buying a 5 carat lab grown bracelets using James Allen 25% off coupon which would of brought the price down to $2800. My husband shot down the notation of getting a lab tennis bracelet as he feels they wouldn’t pass a diamond test and doesn’t understand the facts about lab grown.

Lastly, if I did get a Costco bracelet, I wonder if I will face hurdles as I like to get my jewelry professionally cleaned often and prongs checked frequently, which are complimentary services provided by my jeweler.

If you have any thoughts help me justify the price, I’d love to hear them.

The first 3 pictures are the Costco diamonds. The rest is the 3 prong beside another bracelet.

54C7ACB9-14A0-472F-85D9-175777B42DCC.jpeg ADEC0DD3-C51C-4797-A64E-57DD2AEFDCDA.png 6DA032A7-433E-4527-B5A2-D7FF9DE98957.jpeg 23C542E9-9B11-4CE6-8BCC-B14903F91C60.jpeg 8BE6C1C4-DEB4-4169-9F5D-F07FAC92D0B2.jpeg 4C980C1B-70D5-4EFC-BBBC-60B2FD99A981.jpeg

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
They both are very pretty styles. The fact that your SA can come down so much under the listed price, raises flags for me. They must be really inflated prices. I’ve heard good things about Costco jewelry, but don’t own any myself, so I can’t give an opinion on that. They have a fantastic return policy, though. Have you considered reaching out to ID Jewlery? I’ve heard good things about them. You’d want to ask for higher quality diamonds to ensure sparkle and eyeclean clarity.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you really prefer one over the other based on the way the stones are set, I'd vote for the Costco bracelet. Higher carat weight, higher clarity and less money. Both look white. Seems like an easy decision to me. If you have a relationship with your jeweler they should clean and check your jewelry for free, even if you didn't buy it from them.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I think it pretty much comes down to a style preference of 3 or 4 prong. The individual diamonds are pretty close in size (around 0.08ct each) with the Diamonds Direct ones being ever so slightly larger by 0.001ct. I believe both are technically "ungraded" so there could be some variability in color and clarity - I would just see if you can notice the color and clarity difference yourself. If the bracelet is larger than you'd like, you *could* try to negotiate shortening it for a lower price and/or get one custom made with fewer diamonds.

Lab tennis bracelets save some money, but the real value is in larger lab stones. Personally, I'd probably go lab (since I wouldn't wear the bracelet much) or go Whiteflash ACA if cut/sparkliness, color, and clarity is a priority:

Also, Costco often has sales on their tennis bracelets, so you may want to wait until the holidays to see if it goes on sale?

Last edited:

tinatark

Shiny_Rock
I love the Costco one!

Dee Dee

Rough_Rock
Unless you really prefer one over the other based on the way the stones are set, I'd vote for the Costco bracelet. Higher carat weight, higher clarity and less money. Both look white. Seems like an easy decision to me. If you have a relationship with your jeweler they should clean and check your jewelry for free, even if you didn't buy it from them.
Yeah, I thought it was an easy decision until hubby said he likes the other style more… although I would have been happy with lab grown ones. I hope my jeweler will be supportive. Thanks for weighing in and sharing your thoughts!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Costco diamond jewelry sell for a fair price for its quality, but wait for the sale. ;)) but if you must have top quality cuts then go with WF or BGD.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose the Costco.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Costco all the way for me.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for Costco!!

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I understand your dilemma! Originally I wanted a 3ct and was going to purchase from my jeweler, it was $200 or $300 more than the costco 3ct (same specs) and I was okay spending a little more for the things that come with getting from my jeweler (free sizing, maintenance, supporting at a small business, etc). After trying on a 3ct, 4ct & 5ct I realized the 3ct was to small for my liking so I needed at least a 4. The price difference between my jeweler and costco was close to if not over $1000 (I don't remember the exact amount). I'm not okay spending that much more for the same item.
I haven't purchased anything yet (other projects came up) but when I do eventually purchase a tennis bracelet I think I'll end up going with costco.
I know people love their costco pieces and they have the best return policies so you can always purchase and if you don't love it, return it.

Dee Dee

Rough_Rock
I understand your dilemma! Originally I wanted a 3ct and was going to purchase from my jeweler, it was $200 or $300 more than the costco 3ct (same specs) and I was okay spending a little more for the things that come with getting from my jeweler (free sizing, maintenance, supporting at a small business, etc). After trying on a 3ct, 4ct & 5ct I realized the 3ct was to small for my liking so I needed at least a 4. The price difference between my jeweler and costco was close to if not over $1000 (I don't remember the exact amount). I'm not okay spending that much more for the same item.
I haven't purchased anything yet (other projects came up) but when I do eventually purchase a tennis bracelet I think I'll end up going with costco.
I know people love their costco pieces and they have the best return policies so you can always purchase and if you don't love it, return it.

Yes, so true. Glad you understand my mindset. I looked up ID Jewelry but prefer to buy more local where at least I can see what I am purchasing in person.

I took a few distance shots: The first 2 pictures are bystanders style photos at Costco. The 3rd photo is at DD store, the 3 prong is the second bracelet. The bracelet closest to my wrist is a 4 prong style bracelet for comparison sake.

677F1161-6A92-4BFB-85DE-2444254EB717.jpeg A51A61E0-7F2B-4A6B-9B10-29BA489C1D0E.jpeg

Attachments

• 12868D5A-488A-4556-B7A3-691C91C1359D.jpeg
    12868D5A-488A-4556-B7A3-691C91C1359D.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 51

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, so true. Glad you understand my mindset. I looked up ID Jewelry but prefer to buy more local where at least I can see what I am purchasing in person.

I took a few distance shots: The first 2 pictures are bystanders style photos at Costco. The 3rd photo is at DD store, the 3 prong is the second bracelet. The bracelet closest to my wrist is a 4 prong style bracelet for comparison sake.

677F1161-6A92-4BFB-85DE-2444254EB717.jpeg A51A61E0-7F2B-4A6B-9B10-29BA489C1D0E.jpeg

In the pictures ~ to me they all look similar on but I know they are very different looks in real life (3 or 4 prong). They all have a really nice presence on your wrist.
Is there one that you just seem to gravitate towards more every time you try it on?
I know the DD one is 4ct and the Costco is 5ct but the price difference is only $500 between the 2 so I'd go with the one you love more.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
As I've learned from these types of experiences, sometimes you have to make the decision without thinking of the value/cost. Which one do you like better without regard to cost? Get that one!

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t agree more with both @JoJa12345 & @MRBXXXFVVS1
3prong & 4prong give 2 different looks.
You have to find out which style speaks to you more.
Don’t rush into buying, give yourself some times to observe & think about it.
My first TB was a 3prong which I fell in love at first sight.
Over the years I realized I appreciate a continuous line of sparkles hence the current 4prong.
In the event that they are sold before a decision is made, then they aren’t meant to be & better ones await you :)
Anyway TBs aren’t hard to get IMO, we just have to decide on carat weight, style, specs & budget.
Cheers & enjoy the shopping process :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look gorgeous on you!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I'm working on a tennis bracelet with ID Jewelry. It's definitely worth giving them a call. Their prices are competitive with the ones mentioned here and they can do 3 or 4 prong.

This is what I would do ID jewelry Just thinking about telling any one I bought my jewelry at costco is almost as bad as K jewels soray

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
This is what I would do ID jewelry Just thinking about telling any one I bought my jewelry at costco is almost as bad as K jewels soray

I think Costco has much better quality than many other jewelry stores. I would have no qualms telling someone I got jewelry there! (And I do own a great pair of huggies from Costco!)

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I think Costco has much better quality than many other jewelry stores. I would have no qualms telling someone I got jewelry there! (And I do own a great pair of huggies from Costco!)

That's why this world is amazing every one has a choice.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

maybe it's just me, but I don't tell a lot of people where I got my jewelry. That being said if you think Kay's is embarrassing, Diamonds Direct isn't better; they're owned by the same company.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know why some people are sniffy about Costco diamonds, they wouldn’t sell as many as they do if they were awful.

My experience has been that they’re usually a better grade than advertised, and certainly my appraisals on pieces have always been good.

I’d always go for as much bang for my buck as I could get, because once you’ve hung around here for a while, you always want bigger :lol:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
maybe it's just me, but I don't tell a lot of people where I got my jewelry. That being said if you think Kay's is embarrassing, Diamonds Direct isn't better; they're owned by the same company.

I didnt mention diamondsdirect. I use ID jewerly it is a valued vendor here on price scope

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I didnt mention diamondsdirect. I use ID jewerly it is a valued vendor here on price scope

The original poster was comparing diamonds direct to costco, and you said costco was embarrassing and the same as Kays, so I pointed out that diamond direct is owned by the same parent company.

Dee Dee

Rough_Rock
Looks like the parent company that owns Kay’s, Jared and a few others just purchased Diamond Direct. Diamond Direct tends to carry top designer brands and nice quality diamonds are more in circulation. You won’t find I-clarity diamonds there. But, Costco’s diamonds tend to be VS in clarity and I in color.

To make matters more challenging, another local high end jeweler made a exception and reduced the price of their 5 carat G-I tennis bracelet SI1-S12 from 8k to 4K in a competitive price match, something this jeweler has not done before with me. The tennis bracelet highlights the separation of the diamonds more than the Costco version which is more seamless connection of diamonds.

Given diamonds of this size should I be picky on clarity? I prefer the local jeweler since they will size the piece and will do my local cleanings.

Oh, and don’t mind that gorgeous diamond encrusted Cuban link.
E14A61C9-8567-4231-A7D0-40872BC32813.jpeg 08815319-175A-401C-87AB-1225B4161784.jpeg D342BF62-41C6-49C7-8CA8-4EA6EDAF3DC8.jpeg

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Looks like the parent company that owns Kay’s, Jared and a few others just purchased Diamond Direct. Diamond Direct tends to carry top designer brands and nice quality diamonds are more in circulation. You won’t find I-clarity diamonds there. But, Costco’s diamonds tend to be VS in clarity and I in color.

To make matters more challenging, another local high end jeweler made a exception and reduced the price of their 5 carat G-I tennis bracelet SI1-S12 from 8k to 4K in a competitive price match, something this jeweler has not done before with me. The tennis bracelet highlights the separation of the diamonds more than the Costco version which is more seamless connection of diamonds.

Given diamonds of this size should I be picky on clarity? I prefer the local jeweler since they will size the piece and will do my local cleanings.

Oh, and don’t mind that gorgeous diamond encrusted Cuban link.
E14A61C9-8567-4231-A7D0-40872BC32813.jpeg 08815319-175A-401C-87AB-1225B4161784.jpeg D342BF62-41C6-49C7-8CA8-4EA6EDAF3DC8.jpeg

The SI2 clarity would personally bother me. Also, are they G or I color because that's a bit of a difference and if one is G and one is I and they are next to each other that might be quite noticeable.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I'd go for the style I liked the best. I wouldn't worry about the SI2 assuming the stones are eye clean. If they aren't then I'd skip that one.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have absolutely no problem telling someone I bought jewelry at Costco

Dee Dee

Rough_Rock
If it were me, I'd go for the style I liked the best. I wouldn't worry about the SI2 assuming the stones are eye clean. If they aren't then I'd skip that one.

Thanks for the advice. They are eye clean

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results