shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I''m looking to buy an engagement ring within the next few weeks here... (The sooner, the better) and I have heard froma friend that she saw a report where they rated Diamond sellers and wholesale clubs like Costco or Sam''s Club were rated very high on this program. I was wondering if any of you had heard this or know anything about it.

I was also wondering if anyone has had any experiences or knows anything about the Jewelery Mart in San Francisco.

Also, for a final question, is buying diamonds over the internet safe? Can I expect quality from an internet bought engagement ring? And would any of you have good site links I might be able to go to?

Thank you so much,

-Pedro

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pedro! Welcome to the forums.

I just went through a lot of similiar things... theres a thread that documents my adventures pretty well here.

A good website to start at is GoodOldGold. Also there is a list of vendors at the top of this screen. Any of those should be fairly reputable and you can always post for comments.
1.gif

mucicstyle

Rough_Rock
I checked out costco diamonds.

IMO, they looked good. They have a few online at costco.com, and there is also a 800 number you can call for diamonds larger than 1.5 carats.

If you want a round solitaire, there are a few to choose from. Other shapes and settings are less common.

Many are GIA, but have and IGI or (something like that) appraisal.

You probably won't find much that is D-F or better than VS1, but maybe that is good for you taste. I thing they claim H or better and VS2 or better.

I did read an article once in the WSJ. They compared costco, some discount jeweler, and a department store. Costco was the best diamond by far.

One thing about costco that I am not sure if holds for the diamonds..they have one of the best return policies out there!!
I've also heard people say that they have seen H&A patterns on costco diamonds.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
forgive my ignorance... but what is an H&A pattern?

Also, Nate, thank you... I read through most of your "quest" I'm skiddish as to whether I should buy a stone separately from the ring or not. Is that what you're doing? What happens when you do that? I'm assuming you probably have to take it somewhere to get the stone placed. How much does that run?

Thanks again,

-Pedro

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Just to give you all an idea of what I'm looking for...

Ring

I'd really love to keep it under $5000... my bride to be says she doesn't really like the stones being too big (but I don't know how much I believe her) But if that's so, I was figuring I could concentrate more on cut than carats. Please let me know what you all think.

-Pedro

mucicstyle

Rough_Rock
Pedro,

H&A= hearts and arrows. It is a term to describe the patterns in well cut round diamonds. Check out the tutorial, cut advisor, and the other tools you can find here on this website. Many places sell "branded" diamonds...they name the cut, suberbcert, H&A, 8-star for example. You may find a similiat cut diamond, without the name-brand.

back to costco online: 1 carat I or better, VS1 or better, in a Pt solitaire setting, $4300. The problem is you don't initially know the full story on the diamond, until you see the certificate.

You can go into costco, with pen and paper an write down much of the dimensions on a particular stone there. You can use those dimensions, with many of the tools here on pricescope to determine the quality. You can then compare the price to on-line vendors.

You might get a good stone at a great price..but you will have to do a lot of comparisons and learning. You can also trust one the the vendors who frequent here, or other diamond discussion groups. I bet the prices will be very competive.

If I were you, and you are looking for a very simple setting, find out about the return policy...get the info from a stone in the store, plug it the online tools you have here, and see for yourself!!

good luck

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi pedro, did you get my email?

Take care,
G

clementine

Shiny_Rock
Don't be afraid to buy online! There are several dealers listed here on Pricescope that sell ideal cut stones. Just do a search for cut quality, and any of the vendors listed will treat you well! And, you'll save $$ on taxes that you can put towards a bigger rock (don't believe her when she says she doesn't want to go too big!!!) I wanted a 1 carat diamond, originally, and ended up with 1.64- and I now think that it's the perfect size!

I was nervous too, buying on the internet, but I LOVE my new ring! (you can check it out on "show me the ring")

The sparkle and light you'll get from an ideal cut stone will make it appear bigger, so keep that in mind. I can't comment on Costco, but I do know that the vendors here are top-notch.

Good luck!!!!

pedromt

Rough_Rock
could someone please let me know what I would need to do if I bought the stone & ring separately from eachother? Would I just need to find a jeweler in my area to have it set?

Thanks.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Pedro, yeah any jewelery store can set your diamonds in your setting if you bought them from seperate places. I'm sure it doesn't happen a lot but if you leave the diamonds overnight make sure they are the same diamonds you get back (yeah I'm paranoid, heard horror stories
1.gif
).

I'm getting my setting and ring from the same place, GoodOldGold.com, though I've asked them to send me the diamonds loose first before they set them. This way I can check them out and take pics. Then I'll send them back so they can mount them... I'm getting a designer setting (Vatche) whose warranty is void if anyone but the designer does work on the setting. I think the setting is also made to work with the specific stones that go in it. Most settings don't have this drawback though and you can get them set at any jeweler.

It shouldn't cost very much... someone help me here... maybe $40. It should be free if you buy the ring and diamonds from the same place.

You said your budget is about $5k? Is that for the whole ring or just the diamond? My budget skyrocketed from reading these forums! Beware!
2.gif

Pedro it looks like your link to a ring didn't work out... just takes me to the BlueNile search page.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE Costco!!!!!!!! That said, their diamond prices are higher than those on the net. Cut is not really an issue for them. It should be.

Do the tutorial here. Play w/ pricescope to see what 5k will buy.

In order of priority: Cut, color, clarity - while maintaining carat weight.

G/H/SI1 will be a *very* nice compromise stone. In this color/clarity range you will be able to afford up to 1 carat.

Good luck.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Nate, 5k is pretty much all I can spend on the whole ring. I might be able to go a little higher, but not much...

this is the kind of look I'm shooting for, I found it on the Vatche page...
Ring

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
What about this ring from costco going for 5K? 1.39ct and the center is 1ct.

Again, they can't guarantee anything on the cut but you can ALWAYS return the ring no matter what. I got an anniversary band from them and one of the diamonds fell out, they replaced the diamond, fixed the ring and no questions asked...please check out the thread about costco H&A. I received a 1.62ct H&A costco diamond. I think there's a pic on the costcoH&A thread. It's a debeers millenium diamond.

Also, all I think most 1ct stones or larger comes with a GIA cert AND an IGI cert (for appraisal purposes). For smaller stones you will get a costco appraisal. I also have a 1ctw 3 stone ring from them. probably a poor cut but shines like crazy.

HOpe this helps

I love costco because of the return policy and the diamonds are pretty good quality VS2 and I or better...again no mention on cut.

costco_ring3.jpg

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
Here's my stone.

I love costco but it does feel weird to buy cheese and diamonds at the same place.

ringhacostco.jpg

Charle

Rough_Rock
Hello

If you are interested in rough diamonds plz contact me for further details at [email protected]

regards
charles
loopy.gif
wavey.gif

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Thanks Aneel... that ring is almost perfect. That's exactly the look I want but it's only 14k White Gold and I really have my heart set on Platinum. It's great to hear your success story from Costco and I'll definately keep looking there.

-Pedro

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone aneelcon!!
10.gif

----------------
On 5/28/2003 1:49:13 PM Charle wrote:
Hello
If you are interested in rough diamonds plz contact me for further details at ----------------
Thread hijacker!
angryfire.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results