shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost of diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kssfy

Rough_Rock
Hi Hi everyone.

Happy New Year 2007.

I intend to buy a diamond ring for my wife. Got offered an Eightstar 1.05 carat F/VVS2
plus platinum ring for $16,000. I know that i am paying a premium for the cut. But for a
normal cut 1.05carat F/vvs2 is maybe around $10,000. That is a huge premium to pay for
cutting. Anyone familiar with eightstar and would like to comment and help me make a decision.

Appreciate it.

Thanks

Rgds
26.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
you will get better help over here. he was over at a very quiet forum. crickets chirping.

hey guys the 10,000 figure -- this is including a heavy platinum setting.

kssfy - is 16,000 your budget? cause you can get a HUGE "like" 2 carat rock if that is what you can spend....

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-63161.htm

look what you can get for your money. this in a knife edge tiffany soliatire = 16,000

1.643 ct I VS1 A Cut Above H&A
$13,165.00 Item Available - Ready to ship

Item Code: AGS-6868403
. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 1.643
. Depth %: 60.8
. Table %: 54.8
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.8
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43
. Girdle: Thin to Medium
. Measurements: 7.66-7.67X4.67
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

kssfy

Rough_Rock
Hi ladykemma

Nah, my wife fingers are very slim. abt 4 1/2. 1 carat will be just nice.
We tried locally a 1.5 carat, but found it too big. I feel the most important thing is that the diamond must sparkle/fire.

Had bought a .45 carat E/vs1 many years ago, but feel the cutting does not
bring out the sparkles.

Cheers, tks for replying to my posts. You seem to be online all the time!

Rgds
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my! You can get an ideal cut hearts and arrows stone in a nice color and clarity for much better than that! It will be as beautiful a stone. If you want high color and clarity, I''d recommend looking at maybe G VS1. G is barely different from an F, and VS1 clarity looks clean with a 10x loupe. So above VS1, you''re paying for microscopic differences. I''ll take a look and attach some stones for you to look at.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
no problem- i'm on vacation.

1 carat only, ok.... toddles off.

have you read the tutorials?
read them here, at good old gold, and at nice ice. don't drop 16k until you knwo what all these numbers mean...

here is a nice one.
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-150438.htm

1.07 ct G VS2 A Cut Above H&A
$8,089.20 Item Available - Ready to ship

Item Code: AGS-7829807
. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 1.070
. Depth %: 61.5
. Table %: 55.5
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Crown %: 15.7
. Star : 50.5
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43.1
. Lower Girdle %: 75.5
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.59-6.60X4.06
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t pay the 8* premium but some would.
Much better deals are out there on as well cut or better cut diamonds.
they use some contreversary cutting specs that there is a lot of disagreement on.
Personally I don''t like the looks of them.

kssfy

Rough_Rock
The setting is simple tiffany 4 prong platinum ring. It costs $850/= I have not decided yet whether to change the ring setting. Pic like below.

what is the premium that 8* commands?
14.gif

pic675.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2006 1:57:11 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 12/30/2006 1:49:05 PM
Author: kssfy

what is the premium that 8* commands?
14.gif
I did a search, this was the closest size I could find to yours. Be generous and knock off several hundred dollars. That will give you an idea...

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=980975
Ellen, you posted the same diamond that I did.
1.gif

You are overpaying for that brand, and perhaps you are paying a high premium for that jeweler. I''d rather have an "A Cut Above" branded stone from WhiteFlash, personally, over an 8 Star. I think they are beautiful and you are not paying all the overhead that some jewelry stores charge for top quality stones.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2006 2:01:52 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Ellen, you posted the same diamond that I did.
1.gif

You are overpaying for that brand, and perhaps you are paying a high premium for that jeweler. I''d rather have an ''A Cut Above'' branded stone from WhiteFlash, personally, over an 8 Star. I think they are beautiful and you are not paying all the overhead that some jewelry stores charge for top quality stones.
Oops, sorry. I breezed over that post, thinking you were posting less expensive alternates. Saw the G VS1 and didn''t look further. My bad.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem! We were on the same wavelength! That was the only good F stone I could find.

kssfy

Rough_Rock
i got the offer from 8* direct. that's why i am surprised that the premium
is so steep.
29.gif

and looks like the ring costs was also marked up steep.
27.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About a year ago I brought in a Solasfera and an ideal-cut non-branded H+A stone from a Pricescope vendor into a jewelry store that sold Eightstar.

I looked at all three in all kinds of lighting, even taking them outside in the shade and sun.
While the Eightstar was absolutely gorgeous I felt it was not worth the huge premium.

That said, if I was Bill Gates Eightstar would be one of the several diamonds I would own.

kssfy

Rough_Rock
guys n gals

tks a lot for all the infos. i got to break off as it is 3.20 am morning. I am from Singapore, the little red dot in South East Asia. glad to have your acquaintances.

cheers
35.gif
9.gif

kssfy

Rough_Rock
hi everyone

anyone with eightstar diamond, either customer or dealer, what''s your take on this 1.05 carat F/VVS2 eightstar diamond. And the asking price of $15,000+++ ?
22.gif

rgds
34.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One big reason I was not comfortable buying an Eightstar is there is no price transparency.
There is no way to know if you are getting a good or a bad price, or if the seller is taking advantage of you.
How would you know?

I like to buy a stone with a price published on the Internet.
The seller will not dare price it much higher than a competitor.
They'd be nuts.
It would never sell.

Even if someone comes here and says, "Oh, yes that is a fair price because that's about what I paid." that means little.
Maybe he got ripped off.
Also it could be a shill from the industry pretending to be a customer, just to keep prices up.
There are just too few of them sold to get any meaningful sample of what pricing is fair.

If you love it, want it, can afford it and you think it's worth it, then buy it.
They are gorgeous diamonds.

Personally, I'd take a Whiteflash ACA over an Eightstar any day, even if they were the same price.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2006 12:39:27 PM
Author:kssfy
Anyone familiar with eightstar and would like to comment and help me make a decision.
I think eightstars are known for showing zero leakage under red reflector technology. WF cuts ideal stones two ways, and one way replicates the 8star look. You may find this one, with otherwise virtually identical features, has the same "total" red look, when you bring up its idealscope image. It will cost a bit more than 1/2. If you're set on seriously considering the 8 star still, not sure if you can see them together readily, but WF's option will have a 10 day return period. If you can do something like compare them, seems like at least it couldn't hurt, and maybe could help a lot!

But...not sure you're committed to this look. You can spend more or less than this particular WF option, getting otherwise similar features, and a diamond still handsome in appearance, and with a slightly different look, you might like to consider as well. In fact, if you can swing seeing these 2 and a third, to give yourself a choice of looks, that would be ideal.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2006 2:19:59 PM
Author: kenny
About a year ago I brought in a Solasfera and an ideal-cut non-branded H+A stone from a Pricescope vendor into a jewelry store that sold Eightstar.

I looked at all three in all kinds of lighting, even taking them outside in the shade and sun.
While the Eightstar was absolutely gorgeous I felt it was not worth the huge premium.

That said, if I was Bill Gates Eightstar would be one of the several diamonds I would own.
kenny, did the Eight Star really have it''s own "look", as it has been said about them?

kssfy

Rough_Rock
Hi

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2007 from Singapore. It is 0.01am 1st January 2007 now.
36.gif

Kenny, do you have pictures of eightstar and other diamonds side by side?

Appreciate all your inputs. How is Blue nile signature ideals?

Rgds

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I do not have pics.
I felt awkward enough just bringing in the diamonds to the jewelry store.

Do they have their own look?
I guess so.
All cuts have their own look.
I mean all three had their own look but were all beautiful and would make anyone very happy.

The 8star certainly did not pop out as being twice as beautiful, though it costs so much more.
Keep in mind I am no expert.
Now if one of our experts saw them they may be able to recognize things that make it worth so much more money - but I doubt it.

Why don't you do the same thing?
"Buy an ACA, bring it into the Eightstar dealer".
If you feel the Eightstar is worth the extra money return the ACA within their 10-day period.
You will only be out about $55 for shipping, a small amount compared to what you are spending and how important it is.

kssfy

Rough_Rock
a problem is that i am on the other side of the u.s.a. There is no ACA or WF dealership nor
Eightstar shops around in Singapore.

That is why i am mostly relying on the experts views and information available on the internet. I am unable to locate prices for eightstar diamonds...
15.gif

Rgds

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2006 12:36:05 PM
a problem is that i am on the other side of the u.s.a. There is no ACA or WF dealership nor

That is why i am mostly relying on the experts views and information available on the internet. I am unable to locate prices for eightstar diamonds...
15.gif

Rgds
my recommendation would be a classic style super-ideal h&a diamond from one of the PS vendors.
That style has the largest time and volume track record of appealing to different people of all the rounds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute.
Is this Eightstar you are considering being sold new by an Eightstar dealer or by a private party (used)?

If it is not new from an authorized Eightstar dealer I think that the price is double what it should be or more.

Used diamonds from private sellers sell for much less than new.

Date: 12/31/2006 12:36:05 PM

15.gif

Rgds

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just noticed this.

I didn''t know Eightstar sold directly to customers.
I wonder if all their dealers know that.

BTW why don''t you just contact several Eightstar dealers and get quotes on similar stones.
No there will not be that blessed Internet Price Transparency, but at least that will give you some ballpark idea.

Date: 12/30/2006 2:16:27 PM
i got the offer from 8* direct. that''s why i am surprised that the premium

is so steep.
29.gif

and looks like the ring costs was also marked up steep.
27.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if this is from a private party, run!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Criticizing Eightstar pricing is sort of like criticizing Tiffany Graff or Cartier pricing. They make a distinctive, limited production, high-quality product that''s sold primarily through traditional stores. $15K/carat for F-VVS2 sounds about like what I would expect. Not my cup of tea but they probably sell through most of their production each year with a similar number of satisfied customers. I''ve heard that they will sell direct if there''s no dealer within reasonable distance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not criticizing.

She asked for opinions.

I compared side by side and decided the extra cost was not worth it to me.

Clearly it is to to others.
(Edit - I doubt every Eightstar buyer compared it side by side to two other super ideals.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results