shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus updates December 2020...please add yours.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like this list because it will show Active cases in your county. You can choose your state.

xjsbellamias13

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but is everyone here still going to their dental cleanings? I have one coming up and honestly I'm not sure if I should go or not. I'm not at a higher risk or anything but I'm still just being really cautious. Not sure what to do. I'm in New Hampshire :confused:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but is everyone here still going to their dental cleanings? I have one coming up and honestly I'm not sure if I should go or not. I'm not at a higher risk or anything but I'm still just being really cautious. Not sure what to do. I'm in New Hampshire :confused:

I did go to mine, they met me at the door took temp and ushered me into my room, everyone masked and sanitized.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, I lost my sister on Nov 20th from COVID. She was in a nursing home in Ohio with other medical issues and contracted COVID and passed.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear it, autumngems.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am still getting my periodontal cleanings. I skipped my dental visits this year however. I’m still conflicted about that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did go to mine, they met me at the door took temp and ushered me into my room, everyone masked and sanitized.
I am a dental hygienist. I think it would depend on certain factors. Do you have gum disease that would get worse with out the cleaning? Are you cavity prone? Do you trust your dentist? There are a lot of bad apples out there. They should be masked, face shield, paper robe over scrubs, hair covered, no jewelry, work clothes left at the office, no one in waiting room, high tech air system. My office is complying with all of that. Another dentist I had temped for is not. I am currently not working because I am high risk.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, I lost my sister on Nov 20th from COVID. She was in a nursing home in Ohio with other medical issues and contracted COVID and passed.

I feel your loss and I’m so sorry. It’s hard to process.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so very sorry @autumngems. You and your family have my deepest condolences.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems I'm so sorry. My condolences to your family.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The letter I received this week.

Dear COVE Study Volunteer:

On November 16, 2020, Moderna and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) shared some early results of our Phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine study (also called the COVE Study) in which you are participating. The study is overseen by a Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) which is an independent group of experts that are separate from Moderna and not involved in running the study. They check the safety of the vaccine on an ongoing basis and at specific timepoints look to see if the vaccine is working to prevent COVID-19 infections (also called “efficacy”). When new information is available, they also make decisions in the best interest of our volunteers about whether the study should continue, be altered, or stop.

The DSMB met on Sunday, November 15, 2020 to review the information about safety and efficacy. There were no safety concerns. The information also showed that the vaccine has efficacy of 94.5% at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 disease. Of the 95 people who had symptomatic COVID-19 by the time of the meeting, 90 received the placebo and 5 received the study vaccine. Please note that cases of COVID-19 are continuing to be reported, so this efficacy number is likely to change.

For now, the DSMB recommended that we continue the study as planned while we file for an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) with the US FDA. If and when the FDA approves an EUA, then we will inform you. Our intention is to ensure that all participants ultimately have the option of receiving the vaccine. In the coming weeks, Moderna and the research team will be discussing with expert scientists, ethics committees, and the FDA how and when to offer the study vaccine to those who received placebo. We will inform you once we have a concrete and approved plan of doing so.

Your participation in the study has enabled these initial positive results and is providing hope to millions of people. Your continued participation is enabling us to better determine the safety and efficacy of this vaccine and is supporting the application for an EUA which we hope will ultimately support broad access to a safe and effective vaccine. However, before we make any changes to the study, we will need approval from the FDA and the study IRB. We ask for your patience and continued participation in the coming weeks while we chart the path forward.

Lastly, while many are very encouraged by the preliminary data on the vaccine, it’s important to remember to follow your state and local guidance around social distancing and restrictions related to gathering in groups of people. Even if you think you got the vaccine, you still may have received the placebo. All study volunteers are strongly urged to behave as if you received the placebo, and therefore, are at risk for infection.

We are grateful for your dedication and continued participation in this trial to make it successful. You are playing a critical part in hopefully solving this pandemic. We will continue to keep you updated as the study plans progress. Feel free to contact us if you have questions.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I skipped mine and have been very heavily water piking. My dental office ended up closing in October and just opened back up in November because Covid got their entire staff. I'm in FL though and its a bit of a free for all here.

Go if you're having issues/your area doesn't have the rising covid cases. Most places won't have waiting rooms full of people given the guidelines. If still cautious, call and ask them what their protocol is.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock

I live in NH too and did go in for my cleaning. They did check my temp and I only came in when I was ready to be seen. The hygienist had on all the appropriate protective equipment. Sent me out a back door to avoid meeting any other person. I live in a town with very low known cases. I did feel safe. I did put off my visits in the spring. They were closed initially for everything except emergencies and then when they opened I waited a few months to be sure they had good safe practices in place.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock

So very sorry to hear of your loss.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@autumngems this is heartbreaking news, I am so sorry for the loss of your sister.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear this news... :( HUGS!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My very first friend in life, born the same year, next door neighbors as babies/ children, died yesterday on a respirator in Philadelphia of Covid. I am heartbroken. Sixty one yr old grandmother of 4.

Horrible! So sorry.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Big hugs to you across the miles.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
@AprilBaby and @autumngems I am so sorry for your loss.
My husbands best friend that he works closely with tested positive yesterday morning after waking up not feeling well. Hubby went last night for a test and is negative. His best friends wife also is negative. We are waiting on a call from our doctor to ask what the protocol is for exposure and testing again.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I forgot to cancel mine and decided to go since we may be losing insurance in the coming months. The lobby was good. Just me and the two ladies at the desk, temperature checked, etc. Then I got brought back... All of the exam areas are open to each other (3/4 height wall with one entire open side) and there were three other patients at the same time I was there. They had me swish peroxide mouth wash prior to cleaning. I was uncomfortable during and after as there were too many people all sharing the same office space. Despite air cleaners, I did not feel it was enough. Had it not been for their lunch break closing the office, there would likely have been another three patients in during the time it took to exam & clean.

It was uncomfortable enough I cancelled DH's appointment even though it means we will likely have to reschedule without insurance.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AprilBaby and @autumngems I am so sorry for your loss.
My husbands best friend that he works closely with tested positive yesterday morning after waking up not feeling well. Hubby went last night for a test and is negative. His best friends wife also is negative. We are waiting on a call from our doctor to ask what the protocol is for exposure and testing again.

Test at the 8 th day after exposure if you have no symptoms. Test before if you do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results