shape
carat
color
clarity

Coral (colored) gemstones

Hello friends,

I posted a while back about my love for this color (coral) and how I enjoy discovering it in various gems other than its namesake. My favorite is "coral spinel," because it doesn't seem to brown-out in daylight the way tourmaline or garnet can, but those latter two have some fine coral colors as well. Sunstone can also be quite coral-ly... rhodochrosite in its very fine transparent crystals is such a stunning strawberry coral shade.

I recently picked up this 4.58ct. spinel that can't make up its mind as to whether it wants to be an obese cushion or round (cut by Dan O'Neil). But I do think it's the perfect coral shade... predominantly pink with orange undertones (in padparadscha, I prefer a more pinkish-orange or peach stone, but I digress). This color variety seems to disperse like crazy in the sun. I've found a medium tone is important.

Anyone else want to give some love to their coral colored gems?

Outside... indirect light.
1D179283.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty!!!! More pics please???

My kid loves rhodochrosite! I’ll go raid his collection when I get home!

He goes to the gem museum and just stares at the super impressive coral coloured specimen there.

I had this ring. Spinel. The little sister ran off with it.

20190825_102949_Original.jpeg

So pretty!!!! More pics please???

My kid loves rhodochrosite! I’ll go raid his collection when I get home!

He goes to the gem museum and just stares at the super impressive coral coloured specimen there.

I had this ring. Spinel. The little sister ran off with it.

20190825_102949_Original.jpeg

That's a true coral! Nice tone and no brown... what a good big sis you are!!
creepaway3.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one of my favourite colors. I don’t own any gems this color. Yet. But I want to see more!

This is one of my favourite colors. I don’t own any gems this color. Yet. But I want to see more!

If browsing, search "padparadscha spinel," because that's what they're often listed under. I don't think they look anything like a proper pad, but others might disagree. Happy hunting! Tourmaline also comes in lovely coral shades. That would be my next favorite. :)

Soooo pretty!!!! Any plans to set it Autumn?

I liken the colour to pink grapefruit!!!!! That’s the first thing that comes to mind.

Well, I love food-related analogies, so now I'm really excited!
lightbulb.gif

Actually, I wanted to pose that question here. I'd love to do something floral with it. Like, not just a stylized floral halo, but something more literal. Alas though, she's pretty far down in the pecking order right now.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I find coral to be one of the hardest colors to collect. My pictures aren’t great, but here are mine: a padparadascha, spinel, Oregon Sunstone, and a coral cab. The spinel was my first purchase, and I find it’s brown tones disappointing next to the others. IMG_8738.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8721.jpeg
    IMG_8721.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8723.jpeg
    IMG_8723.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2507.jpeg
    IMG_2507.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8732.jpeg
    IMG_8732.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8720.jpeg
    IMG_8720.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8719.jpeg
    IMG_8719.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8715.jpeg
    IMG_8715.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8714.jpeg
    IMG_8714.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 6
I find coral to be one of the hardest colors to collect. My pictures aren’t great, but here are mine: a padparadascha, spinel, Oregon Sunstone, and a coral cab. The spinel was my first purchase, and I find it’s brown tones disappointing next to the others. IMG_8738.jpeg

All beautiful, but I remember that pad and the color is stunning!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Hello friends,

I posted a while back about my love for this color (coral) and how I enjoy discovering it in various gems other than its namesake. My favorite is "coral spinel," because it doesn't seem to brown-out in daylight the way tourmaline or garnet can, but those latter two have some fine coral colors as well. Sunstone can also be quite coral-ly... rhodochrosite in its very fine transparent crystals is such a stunning strawberry coral shade.

I recently picked up this 4.58ct. spinel that can't make up its mind as to whether it wants to be an obese cushion or round (cut by Dan O'Neil). But I do think it's the perfect coral shade... predominantly pink with orange undertones (in padparadscha, I prefer a more pinkish-orange or peach stone, but I digress). This color variety seems to disperse like crazy in the sun. I've found a medium tone is important.

Anyone else want to give some love to their coral colored gems?

Outside... indirect light.
1D179283.jpg

IMG_1483.jpeg

Not sure if this goes too orangey to call coral, but this is a tourmaline.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This sapphire-in-matrix from Vietnam probably qualifies:
Pinkish-orange sapphire in matrix detail.JPG

that looks like cake (well were talking about grapefruit before)
but how to break a tooth on that dried apricot :lol-2:

Coral is not my favourite colour- im more an orange girl
but im sure this thread will change my mind

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Old snaps, but I love this color. All spinels, because, of course.
946846 910983 866576

I have this coppery-pink spinel from Inken a couple years back. Simple mixed cut with some long facets and a color that is hard to pin down. Maybe it's a little too pink to be coral-y? I'll wait a few minutes and look again... :cool2:

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 11.28.17 PM.png

I remember her, and the resulting Gary Roe ring, well! A true work-of-art!! I love colors that are not so easy to describe. I recall this stone being quite large. What was the weight again?

@Autumn in New England completly off on a tangent
but would you say that coral is in the pink or orange camp ?

Color is so subjective, but I would put coral in the pink camp!
cleader.gif
I like to think of it as predominantly a warm pink with orange undertones (so orangey-pink). I consider peach to be more of a soft orange with pink undertones (so pinkish-orange). I love them both!!

P.S. "Peach Fuzz" is Pantone's 2024 color of the year. I did not know that!

00-pantone-color-pantoneCOY.jpg

Capturevjngbnv2.JPG

LIke padparadscha. But opaque and less saturated. And not as pricey. :lol-2:

I have a somewhat relevant story... my first padparadscha was a light orangey-pink, and certified as such by AGL and GIA (although going by that $112k thread, that's not saying much lol). Anyway, everyone was always like, "is that a pink sapphire?" I could see the subtle orange tones, but I guess the average eye could not discern them. I vowed that I would eventually own an unabashed (and more intense) pinkish-orange, and no one would mistake it for a baby pink sapphire. So I'd say my current pad is certainly more peach than coral!

First one:

PadNaturalLight3 (1).jpg

Last one:

download (1)zz1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results