shape
carat
color
clarity

Copper bearing stones ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Can someone tell me about copper bearing stones. I''ve seen that in the description of some stones lately. I could Google it but you people-of-great-knowledge here always add great info. Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your question is very open ended and I'm not sure where to start. You will find plenty of information on it by Googling.

The original find is in Brazil in the Paraiba region hence that name. The Oyo mines in Nigeria was found next but the colour wasn't as neon. The Mozambique find was superior to the Nigerian but isn't comparable to the original Brazilian. The Paraiba were originally unheated - they came out of the ground looking great and neon. Later, the steely purple ones were found to heat well to get the turquoise colour. Heating other coloured copper bearing tourmalines seem to make them lose their colour.

As far as I know, heating is also risky. Even an apparently clean stone can crack or shatter. Overheat it and it'll become brittle and the colour will fade. It takes the right knowledge and skill to cook the stone just right.

When looking to purchase, I look for the neon or glow factor. There are copper bearing tourmalines that just don't glow.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that worked. Thanks. Copper may "neon" a stone.

That''s all I needed. Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These cuprians also contain gold, manganese and a whole bunch of other trace minerals. It is believed that the quantity of copper in the stones affects how much or little glow the stone has.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to what Chrono said, I will add the following for those in the market for cuprian tourmalines or copper bearing tourmalines (same thing).

Almost everyone and their best friend will call a blue green or any other color tourmaline a Paraiba. Not all tourmalines are copper bearing, and not all copper bearing tourmalines glow major intensity. The stone I posted in my LOGR Cuprian thread does not have the telltale super kryptonite neon glow, although it is a nicely colored light blue/green stone with a soft glow in low light conditions, but I would not consider it "super neon."

I will state this however, the copper bearing stones all do have one property I''ve noticed among my own, and that''s the fact that in low light conditions, they go a bit brighter, like they have some internal electric source. Even the badly cut ones do this. An apatite, while it may be a similar color to a paraiba, does not do this. I do not know why this phenomenon occurs with only copper bearing tourmalines, but it was something I thought worth nothing. I wish LovingDiamonds would chime in on this since she has a huge collection of these stones.

I have a picture of my gem tray with many many stones I''ve collected over the years. Even though the picture is fuzzy and you cannot get any detail of the stones, you can pick out the cuprians right away. They look like little blue/green spot lights amongst the other colors, which are more flat.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 2:29:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
In addition to what Chrono said, I will add the following for those in the market for cuprian tourmalines or copper bearing tourmalines (same thing).

Almost everyone and their best friend will call a blue green or any other color tourmaline a Paraiba. Not all tourmalines are copper bearing, and not all copper bearing tourmalines glow major intensity. The stone I posted in my LOGR Cuprian thread does not have the telltale super kryptonite neon glow, although it is a nicely colored light blue/green stone with a soft glow in low light conditions, but I would not consider it ''super neon.''

I will state this however, the copper bearing stones all do have one property I''ve noticed among my own, and that''s the fact that in low light conditions, they go a bit brighter, like they have some internal electric source. Even the badly cut ones do this. An apatite, while it may be a similar color to a paraiba, does not do this. I do not know why this phenomenon occurs with only copper bearing tourmalines, but it was something I thought worth nothing. I wish LovingDiamonds would chime in on this since she has a huge collection of these stones.

I have a picture of my gem tray with many many stones I''ve collected over the years. Even though the picture is fuzzy and you cannot get any detail of the stones, you can pick out the cuprians right away. They look like little blue/green spot lights amongst the other colors, which are more flat.
TL, can we see that pic? Pretty please?
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s at the top of this page taken with my old crappy digicam. Chrono was able to spot the cuprians right away if you look at her post a few posts down from that picture.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cuprian-or-rubellite-in-logr-or-neither.113501/page-2

The point is that although this picture stinks, you can see how bright the cuprians are, and it''s not just bright in terms of light color, but they have a soft glow to them. You really have to see one in person to know what I''m talking about.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. Now I get it.

TL - your "favorite cuprian" is
10.gif
and
9.gif

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
Chrono and TL, I feel like I should be paying you tuition.
9.gif
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results