carat
color
clarity

Cool appraisal appointment with Ira Savoie

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.neworleansjewelryappraisers.com/

Ira Savoie is both GIA and AGS appraiser.

Ira was recommended by Gem Safe as I wanted realistic appraisals for my jewelry for insurance purposes.

I had some very interesting insights:

1) my original engagement stone:

I was told at the jewelry store back in 1993 that it was a D color. When we received the jeweler's appraisal (uncertified stone) he said it was H color, I1. I did not tell Ira any of this. Ira stated it is, in fact, a D color stone with strong blue fluro. I already knew it was I1 clarity.

2) Ira soaks jewelry in 120 degree water/Mr. Clean for a while, then runs an ultrasonic cycle, then lets it sit, then steam cleans the jewelry. Wow! Talk about clean....

3) the antique earrings I bought on EBay about a year ago-- are both OEC (was told top was old mine), color I-K and replacement value is set at $6800. I paid $2800.

More info and pics later-- DH and I are going to lunch....

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the cleaning tip. Looks like you had a great appointment!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there will be visits with him in the future just to talk jewels lol. Really nice guy.

I'm falling asleep so I will finish tomorrow or whenever family time breaks allow

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome, I love to hear about great appraiser experiences!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was fun. Of course, I asked if I could snoop and see his ultrasonic and streamer in the other room lol, so I was able to watch his assistant clean and photograph the pieces. He also let me see his double graded GIA/AGS color grading diamonds.

I asked him the best and worse he has seen, and he said, obviously since he has been in the trade for so long that it is hard to get him excited. The worse is when he has to tell people they don't have a diamond or whatever stone they thought they had. The best in recent memory is a piece of Russian alexandrite that was a real raspberry color that "knocked his socks off" :sun:

I'm trying to remember the other things...

3) he said with photos, he has known of many pieces that have been recovered after robbery, since pawn shops have to hold merch for 30 days before putting out for sale.

I'll keep updating.... we are worried the main house might have busted pipes after tonight, so we are trying to arrange someone to go there and set it up for SINGLE digits :eek2::eek2:

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ira is a great guy and knows his stuff. I've met him several times at appraiser's conferences (NAJA) and when we hang out people often think my first name is also "IRA." :D Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jeff Ira

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ira is a great guy and knows his stuff. I've met him several times at appraiser's conferences (NAJA) and when we hang out people often think my first name is also "IRA." :D Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jeff Ira

Oh, cool! Yes, he seemed VERY knowledgeable. The two Iras lol. I once met a man named Vincent Vincent :lol:

------------
For search tags: New Orleans Metairie jewelry appraisal

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results