shape
carat
color
clarity

consumers only: diamond question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the elements (cut, color, clarity, etc) are "variables", per se. I understand this to question to mean "what things can affect the appearance of the same diamond?" In such an instance, the cut remains the same, as does the clarity, etc.....so I don''t consider those variable.

I think lighting is the primary variable, as pointed out. I think the secondary variable is the eyesight of the viewer. The same stone may appear different to different people depending on their personal tolerances. What may look white to me may look warm to you. What looks eyeclean to me may not be to you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2005 7:38:33 PM
Author: aljdewey
I don't think the elements (cut, color, clarity, etc) are 'variables', per se. I understand this to question to mean 'what things can affect the appearance of the same diamond?' In such an instance, the cut remains the same, as does the clarity, etc.....so I don't consider those variable.
this is how i understood it as well.

I think lighting is the primary variable, as pointed out. I think the secondary variable is the eyesight of the viewer. The same stone may appear different to different people depending on their personal tolerances. What may look white to me may look warm to you. What looks eyeclean to me may not be to you.
agreed.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Alj,

Hmmmm... I see what you mean. I wasn''t 100% sure I was answering the question "properly"!!!
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Lynn

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2005 7:53:32 PM
Author: Lynn B
Alj,

Hmmmm... I see what you mean. I wasn''t 100% sure I was answering the question ''properly''!!!
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Lynn

like i said no right or wrong answers.
I was thinking primarly of things that affect the same diamond when I posted it but it was mostly to generate discussion and it did.
Thanks everyone :}

Skavatar

Rough_Rock
Cut - a well cut stone will look better than an average cut stone

Cleaniness - a dirty stone will reflect much less light than if it was clean

Distance - step away from the stone, see how well it shines and sparkles at a distance. also, have the dealer hold it away from direct light, take a few steps back and see how well the stone performs away from direct light. you won''t see much white light reflected back at you, but there should be a lot of sparkle/fire.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
In that case
1)cleanliness, you can have the best diamond in the world if it is dirty then it will look off
2) lighting
3) setting ie is it is it loose or in a temp setting or in something that is just awful
4) enviroment of the store... if you feel uncomfertable for any reason you are less likely to veiw that stone as a viable option
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results