shape
carat
color
clarity

consumers only: diamond question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Experts please let the consumers talk this out.

What is the biggest variable in how a diamond looks to the person viewing it?
Please say why it is the biggest variable.

The biggest is lighting now the question is what is the second biggest variable.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
What do you mean by variable? As in, best value for the price?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
lighting.
lighting conditions have a huge impact on the overall look of a diamond.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2005 12:15:13 PM
Author: belle
lighting.
lighting conditions have a huge impact on the overall look of a diamond.
ditto

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. Well I second the lighting aspect, very important.

I will also go with cleanliness. As in, the stone being clean or not while viewing it. I''ve actually been in stores where I asked to view a loose stone and the salesperson picks it up with the tweezers and upon viewing it, I see that there''s fingerprints and a "film" of dirt or grease on it
8.gif
This is very disheartening, and is in direct relation to the store and salespeople, as it is not hard to simply wipe the stone with a lint-free cloth before and after a customer has viewed it! It''s hard to get a good look at a stone when there''s a big fingerprint on it!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
very good :}
lighting it is.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now what is the second biggest variable?

cleanliness has been sugested. is it second or are there larger ones?

Mister 1.54

Rough_Rock
Yes, I would say lightening. Just bought a fairly nice e-ring...and depending on the lighting, it can go from looking good to absolutely spectacular. Direct halogen light/lamps seem to be the best.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, the CUT of course! hehehe......
9.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How about the setting? I just had a one carat diamond put into a new setting and I was amazed at how different it looks now. I think the color of the metal and the way the stone is set effects its appearance.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
taste.
i.e. i don''t like anything below ''h'' in color, therefore lower color diamonds don''t look as good to me.

carrot

Rough_Rock
Quality of the cut, i.e. light return

Diamonds reflect light and obviously are limited by the light that strikes them and certain light sources, like an overcast sky will greatly diminish the performance of any diamond. Nevertheless all diamonds, except those in museums, are called upon to perform under a variety of light sources. Since all (worn) diamonds are seen under the same general variety of light sources, the quality of the cut becomes the major overriding factor.

1. Cut Quality

2. Color (Must be colorless)

3. Clarity (Must be eye-clean)

4. Size (Flexible, determined by budget AFTER other criteria are met)

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Depends on the person. ;-) I've been told one of the most important (other than shape. hehe) is color. Nothing yellow. So the colorless range is acceptable D-F. Then maybe clarity. The shape is obviously the top and need not be listed, IMO.

1. Color
2. Symmetry/Cut
3. Clarity
4. Light Performance

That's my top 4.

Ukieza

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2005 12:27:07 PM
Author: strmrdr
Now what is the second biggest variable?
1) cut
2) size
3/4 color/clarity

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Well............"beauty is in the eyes of the beholder," right???????//

So: viewing distance, whether the person is young/old, near/far-sighted, close/far away.......those things vary a lot!!!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Cleanliness, then size and cut. I''ve seen people who obviously never take their rings off to clean them. They are typically dull and waxy looking, and I can spot it a mile away. At that point, I don''t care how big it is or how great the cut is. It just looks like a dull blob.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sobriety
Hormone fluctuations
Balance in my savings & checking accounts

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s got to be cut well, the color is key, and it has to be clean.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
1. Color - I''m a huge fan of fluorenscence
2. Cut - Good is ok for me if it looks good to my eye, would prefer higher
3. Clarity - Any as long as it''s eye clean
4. Carat - Determined by mixing the above mentioned variables to get the best stone within the carat range looking in around my budget.

Spear

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/29/2005 2:21:35 PM
Author: Matata
Sobriety
Hormone fluctuations
Balance in my savings & checking accounts

I agree!

How about the surrounding?
If the wall of a room is yellow, the yellow will be reflected in the stone and if the wall is red, the red will be reflected in the stone.

So if the stone is faint blue, would a dark blue ring box not make the blue in the stone appear darker due to the blue reflections.

Obviously, during the course of the day, the surroundings will change as you move around but so would the lighting conditions.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
exellent answers everyone :}
There are no wrong answers and everyone will have a different opinion.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
how about the salesperson.
i have viewed enough diamonds to know what i like and am totally turned off by some salesperson yapping in my ear about things like, 'ideal' proportions and the negative effect of any form of fluorescence and whatever else they come up with to push their stone on me. the more i hear, the less attractive the diamond becomes.
14.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have had very limited experience, but here is my oppinion:

I have never been shown 1 diamond by itself. They always seem to like to bring out the diamonds in pairs. So for me, the biggest variable was how did one diamond look compared to "the next best thing". It is like when you go to the eye doctor and they ask "Which is better? #1 or #2" over and over again. There were various reasons for why I would like one of them better than the other. I guess for me the biggest variable is what the other stone is that is brought out and put next to the one I am interested in.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
For the people who have glasses on. Take them off and see the FIRE (have sun behind you).
10.gif

ETA: not while driving.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Cleanliness. It''s the fifth "c"

Rockingout

Rough_Rock
I think the second biggest is how the diamond looks when it moves, or when you move around the diamond ;-). The scintillation is up there for me in what I am looking for in a diamond.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I agree
1) Lighting
2) setting....you put a fantasticly amazing stone in an ugly setting and it loses alot of its appeal becuase the setting is so awful
3) clarity
4) size
5/6) cut/color I think these two interact for me, if the stone if poorly cut then the color bothers me sooner

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread -- thanks, Storm.

I like the fire in a diamond best of all. Nothing entrances me more than watching the rainbows of color in my stone, when the lighting is just right. Mmmmm, mesmerizing!
30.gif

Regarding the 4 C''s... I definitely know that #1 is cut. After that... I guess (for me) it would be size, clarity, and color - in that order. I don''t think I''m very color-sensitive (in a well-cut stone)... but I might be weird about inclusions. I don''t know because I have never seen any in my VS2... even under extreme magnification! Now, if I get that 2.367 SI2 that I am currently drooling over... well... I''ll have to let you know... !
2.gif

Lynn

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a knowledgeable with a capital "K" saleperson who knows what they are talking about, listen to find out how much you know or how much you really need to know and is willing to show you the diamond under a microscope if you want. They must judge what you are looking for and then show you what is available in your price range.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2005 5:23:21 PM
Author: Buena Girl
I have had very limited experience, but here is my oppinion:

I have never been shown 1 diamond by itself. They always seem to like to bring out the diamonds in pairs. So for me, the biggest variable was how did one diamond look compared to ''the next best thing''. It is like when you go to the eye doctor and they ask ''Which is better? #1 or #2'' over and over again. There were various reasons for why I would like one of them better than the other. I guess for me the biggest variable is what the other stone is that is brought out and put next to the one I am interested in.
Buena Girl...

Excellent, and helpful insight, I think. Gives new meaning to the use of the word "contrast," doesn''t it?

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results