shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering this Square Cut Radiant - GIA IF, G color, 1.01c

AM1102

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am in the market for an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and was initially in the market for a princess cut diamond, roughly around 1.25c. After looking at quite a few stones, I became more interested in the round cut. All of the rounds I looked at were priced slightly higher than the princess cuts of the same quality, which from what I understand is normal. I really wanted something G or above in color, and VS1 or higher on clarity. Most stones with these characteristics would put me in the $7K range at wholesale pricing.

I then went to a local jeweler who had a rather interesting stone which I was attracted to. It is a 1.01 "Cut Cornered Square Modified Brilliant" - which after a bit of research seems to be considered more informally a Radiant cut. It is GIA certified with a G color and is IF in clarity. It is also a Canada Mark diamond. It received a Good polish and Good symmetry grading as well.

I tried finding comparable stones on JamesAllen, but was not too successful. It seems that most radiant cut diamonds are rectangular instead of square. I also was not able to find too much information on this type of stone in my research on this forum. I am just looking for some advice or opinions on this stone. In person, the diamond shines brilliantly to my untrained eye, but I'm not sure if this is considered a good or desirable cut.

Here is more information from the GIA certification. It is certified from year 2005, which did initially raise a flag for me. I asked the jeweler why this had such an old certification and was told this diamond had been in their vault for a very long time, but they guaranteed me that it had never been mounted or used in any way. This is a very reputable jeweler in the area that has been around since the late 1800's, so I do believe them.

Weight: 1.01
Measurements: 5.71 x 5.70 x 4.06
Depth: 71.2
Table: 68.0
Girdle: Thick
Cutlet: None
Polish/Symmetry: Good
Clarity: IF
Color: G
Comments: Inscribed with serial number (leading with CM for Canada Mark), Extra Facet

My questions:
1) How does a square cut radiant cut compare to a round or princess cut in terms of value, brilliance, etc?
2) Is there a reason most radiant cut diamonds are rectangular and not square? Other radiant cuts I have looked at had more of the "crushed glass" look that I read about. This particular diamond has a very symmetrical look in the center, almost resembling a round cut.
3) Should I be concerned with the GIA cert from 2005 despite knowing the diamond has never been "used"? Would a diamond graded back in 2005 receive a different score today (did they get more strict)?
4) Should I be concerned with the Extra Facet? It is included in the comments, but I cannot find it on the diamond plot for the life of me. Everything on the plot looks symmetrical to me. I can post a picture of it if desired.
5) What should I pay for this diamond?

Sorry for the very long post - all feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Considering this Square Cut Radiant - GIA IF, G color, 1

So im going to totally ignore most of your post (SORRY!) and ask what shape your intended wants? it IS a big deal to most women so please don't think that "whatever i get her is fine and will make her happy". While she may love that you put so much thought into her ring, you also want her to completely love it and be able to say "isn't it beautiful?! He picked it all by himself, its exactly what i would have picked myself!" Radiants are really not common and not a shape everyone would love. Just thought i'd throw that out there in case you're just guessing or looking at what attracts you vs her.

Please post a picture (or two or three) of the stone! Can't tell much about a fancy shape just from dimensions.

Is this sort of similar faceting as far as what you're looking at? (i just grabbed this at random)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.30-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-183837

AM1102

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your reply. She has not specifically told me what shape she wants (and I don't think she really knows the difference in cuts), but she has "pinned" pictures of mostly round and princess cuts, in either a solitaire or halo with pave setting. However, this radiant seems to look like a nice mix of the two, and it is actually already set in a Gabriel & Co Halo with Pave. I will try to load pictures shortly.

AM1102

Rough_Rock

Here is a photo of the diamond in the setting.

image1__1_6.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

Would really need to see a picture of the stone to answer most of this.

Price on radiants is vastly affected by cut, l/w ratio, etc. There's no numbers that can be really used as guidelines and a lot of it is about the visual appearance. Similarly "what should I pay for this diamond" is an impossible question to answer, truly, because it's not like rounds where you can compare to known parameters and other comparables. There may well not be another radiant just like it.

I wouldn't be thrilled with an 11 year old report. They may well have never set it, but it has likely been handled during the intervening 11 years and I'd want to know there was no damage to the stone and that it matched the report. Getting an appraisal on the loose stone from someone good is in your best interest, but is an expense you'll have to incur as well as time.

Here's a few comparables under the named price.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.90-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-226223 note that this is smaller, but the spread is almost the same as the 1.01 you're looking at.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.07-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-368832 brellia style stone

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.04-carat-f-color-if-clarity-sku-989552 cut corner princess of similar color/clarity

But really, all that matters is that you like the stone. The price of $6000 is not out of line if it's truly a nice radiant, including the premium that you'd be paying for a IF stone. Can't really be picky with fancy cuts on the clarity unless you're willing to wait a long time for the exact stone to appear.

Also, if she hasn't specifically told you she wants a radiant...I'd be wary of trying to "combine the two" when she liked princesses and rounds. It's my experience that radiants are a little more polarizing than other cuts and you either like them or you don't.

I myself looooooove them though I actually have a cushion, mostly because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a radiant. I found the perfect one but the color was too low and I just wanted to finally have my ring!

AM1102

Rough_Rock

kb1gra|1475765690|4084135 said:
Would really need to see a picture of the stone to answer most of this.

Price on radiants is vastly affected by cut, l/w ratio, etc. There's no numbers that can be really used as guidelines and a lot of it is about the visual appearance. Similarly "what should I pay for this diamond" is an impossible question to answer, truly, because it's not like rounds where you can compare to known parameters and other comparables. There may well not be another radiant just like it.

I wouldn't be thrilled with an 11 year old report. They may well have never set it, but it has likely been handled during the intervening 11 years and I'd want to know there was no damage to the stone and that it matched the report. Getting an appraisal on the loose stone from someone good is in your best interest, but is an expense you'll have to incur as well as time.

Here's a few comparables under the named price.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.90-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-226223 note that this is smaller, but the spread is almost the same as the 1.01 you're looking at.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.07-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-368832 brellia style stone

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.04-carat-f-color-if-clarity-sku-989552 cut corner princess of similar color/clarity

But really, all that matters is that you like the stone. The price of $6000 is not out of line if it's truly a nice radiant, including the premium that you'd be paying for a IF stone. Can't really be picky with fancy cuts on the clarity unless you're willing to wait a long time for the exact stone to appear.

Also, if she hasn't specifically told you she wants a radiant...I'd be wary of trying to "combine the two" when she liked princesses and rounds. It's my experience that radiants are a little more polarizing than other cuts and you either like them or you don't.

I myself looooooove them though I actually have a cushion, mostly because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a radiant. I found the perfect one but the color was too low and I just wanted to finally have my ring!

Thank you for your detailed reply. Unfortunately I was not able to get detailed photos of the diamond, but after looking at the links you posted, it looks extremely similar to the "Brellia" style in terms of the cuts and visuals when looking directly down into the diamond, if this makes much sense. The one you posted is the only square radiant I've seen that looks similar to the diamond I'm considering. What exactly is "Brellia" - is this a type of cut that is done on radiant's to achieve a different look?

As far as her telling me what she likes, I think she is very open and would be happy with any cut of diamond of good quality. All she's ever told me is that she "wants something that sparkles a lot", and kindly asked for at least a carat (jokingly). She is typically very easy to please. She did mention princess, but I think the main reason is because she thought that's what most people nowadays were getting. But most of what she pinned on pinterest looks closer to a brilliant round cut within a round or cushion type halo setting, which I think the photo I posted above resembles pretty closely.

AM1102

Rough_Rock

Here is another pic that I was able to zoom in on. You may be able to see the diamond a bit better.

http://tinypic.com/r/2r6fpxw/9

(hyperlinked so it doesn't reduce the size of the pic)

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

The Brellia is a brand, but it is basically a "square hearts and arrows" cut that can be cut cornered (as in the stone I posted, and probably your stone that you like) or rounded to make a square cushion.

They're not phenomenally common, but are nice stones if you like the look.

I suspect looking at the zoom photo you posted that you probably have a stone like the 1.30 posted. The square H&A is a pretty distinctive look and you'd probably know if you had one. Still, it looks like a nice radiant and if you like it, I would hazard a guess that the $6000 price is probably fair, and if you like the setting then you're all set.

AM1102

Rough_Rock

kb1gra|1475768778|4084159 said:
The Brellia is a brand, but it is basically a "square hearts and arrows" cut that can be cut cornered (as in the stone I posted, and probably your stone that you like) or rounded to make a square cushion.

I suspect looking at the zoom photo you posted that you probably have a stone like the 1.30 posted. The square H&A is a pretty distinctive look and you'd probably know if you had one. Still, it looks like a nice radiant and if you like it, I would hazard a guess that the $6000 price is probably fair, and if you like the setting then you're all set.

I took another look at the 1.30 that is posted, and I feel like the diamond I am looking at does not resemble this when looking at it in person - my picture may be misleading. I feel that the facets are more large and uniform, more similar to the Brellia style stone you posted. Again, apologies for my terminology as I'm sure it's not correct.

I received a price of about $6300 including the setting and sizing as I posted above.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

AM1102|1475769546|4084167 said:

I took another look at the 1.30 that is posted, and I feel like the diamond I am looking at does not resemble this when looking at it in person - my picture may be misleading. I feel that the facets are more large and uniform, more similar to the Brellia style stone you posted. Again, apologies for my terminology as I'm sure it's not correct.

I received a price of about $6300 including the setting and sizing as I posted above.

If the complete ring is $6300 then I'd say you did pretty well.

AM1102

Rough_Rock

kb1gra|1475771588|4084179 said:
AM1102|1475769546|4084167 said:

If the complete ring is $6300 then I'd say you did pretty well.

Yes the complete ring is $6300.

Here is the GIA plot. It doesn't look really close to any other radiant square diamonds, so I'm really confused if this is actually a radiant or some other variation of a square cut cornered brilliant... is ghat even possible? I also cannot locate the extra facet indicated on the report. I'm thinking maybe the tiny little line off the center to the right on one of the corners. What do you think?

For some reason the pics are rotating. The bottom should be the right side of the photo.

img_12871.jpg

img_12872.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

The extra facet is on the right side of the plot next to the table facet. It happens to align with a facet junction which is why the marking is hard to see on the plot. See the thicker line right there? It actually is a small triangle.

AM1102

Rough_Rock

kb1gra|1475797537|4084302 said:
The extra facet is on the right side of the plot next to the table facet. It happens to align with a facet junction which is why the marking is hard to see on the plot. See the thicker line right there? It actually is a small triangle.

I do see that. Thanks for pointing it out. Would that extra facet have a real negative impact of the diamond?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

AM1102|1475797835|4084306 said:
kb1gra|1475797537|4084302 said:

I do see that. Thanks for pointing it out. Would that extra facet have a real negative impact of the diamond?

Not really, no. You might be able to see it if you knew where it was and looked at the table at just the right angle but it's not a large extra facet on the girdle or anything so it really doesn't matter except it would in theory contribute to the clarity grade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results