carat
color
clarity

Considering an AVC...maybe an OMC?

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey everybody,

I've got the itch again. I really need (okay, want) an antique cushion type stone. I'm enamored by GOG's AVCs. However, because they're designer stones and cut to perfection, they are more expensive than actual antique stones. I'm considering purchasing a small AVC (approximately .25 ct) and just upgrading as I can, if I feel the need. Not sure how these stones look at such a small size? Or if I would even be able to upgrade through GOG (I sent them a question about this earlier today, waiting to hear back)? On the other hand, I may just get an OMC in order to get more carat weight for my money. I am hoping to make a RHR with this stone.

Anyone know how these two cuts compare? Any advice in general? Thanks!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably just go with the AVC and upgrade as you can, unless you could have someone with an excellent eye source an older stone for you, maybe even Good Old Gold could do that for you. I've seen some older stones on eBay and such, but it seems like such a gamble.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
rubybeth said:
I'd probably just go with the AVC and upgrade as you can, unless you could have someone with an excellent eye source an older stone for you, maybe even Good Old Gold could do that for you. I've seen some older stones on eBay and such, but it seems like such a gamble.

I agree! It seems so risky to go the Ebay route, though I've seen some incredible deals. I have worked with Old World Diamonds before for an OEC and they did a great job. That's what is making my decision so tricky!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shameless bump...any one else?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on what you want. If you want an ideal cut one, go with GOG and upgrade until you get the size you want. If you want to take a chance before you go the GOG route you can always find something on rubylane.com or ebay or a number of sites to search for a nice OMC/OEC on ebay. OMC are more difficult because they tend to be wonky and sometimes chipped, although not impossible to find.

I have a number of nice stones saved on my watch list from ebay. It really depends on what your budget is because if you have a bit of $$ you can find a nice stone on ebay, bigger and usually well cut if you wait it out long enough.

I personally don't like to pay the mark up if I can get it way cheaper on the used market. That being said I've owned an AVC and they are beautiful. You can't go wrong either way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you have upgrades on the mind down the road, might as well stick with GOG's AVC because they will take the stone back at the original full value towards your next AVC.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
How big a difference in size are we talking? If it's like, .25 ct for the AVC, vs .50 or .70 ct for the antique cushion, I'd go with the actual antique, since especially in that size range it's a HUGE difference.

While I can't compare my AVC to an antique cushion, I can compare it to an OEC, and to a slightly smaller OMC. So hopefully this will help! I have a 1.50 ct AVC and a 1.22 ct OEC of the exact same face up size- the OEC is a particularly well cut one, selected by Adam at OWD. Honestly the performance is pretty comparable. The OEC has more regular sized virtual faceting, large chunks. The AVC has some much smaller facets around the edge, and then the extra-large maltese cross center facets. So you get fewer flashes of fire, but really BIG ones when the cross facets fire on the AVC.

The AVC looks surprisingly good even dirty. But then so does the OEC.

I'll compare the AVC to the .90 ct OMC in an earring later and get back to you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am hoping this doesn't come off as rude. AVCs are gorgeous but at 0.25 ct you are not really going to be able to get the full benefit of it. With that said, GOG does have an upgrade policy but I am not sure if it is applicable at that size but would guess AVCs are all covered.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! I go away for 2 days and look at all these responses. Thanks guys!

vintagelover229 said:
It really depends on what you want. If you want an ideal cut one, go with GOG and upgrade until you get the size you want. If you want to take a chance before you go the GOG route you can always find something on rubylane.com or ebay or a number of sites to search for a nice OMC/OEC on ebay. OMC are more difficult because they tend to be wonky and sometimes chipped, although not impossible to find.

I have a number of nice stones saved on my watch list from ebay. It really depends on what your budget is because if you have a bit of $$ you can find a nice stone on ebay, bigger and usually well cut if you wait it out long enough.

I personally don't like to pay the mark up if I can get it way cheaper on the used market. That being said I've owned an AVC and they are beautiful. You can't go wrong either way.

Vintagelover, thanks for your perspective. I totally agree. It's so hard for me to justify the mark-up when I can get more carat weight for my money. I guess I just don't know what to look for on ebay in a well-cut OMC.

LGK said:
How big a difference in size are we talking? If it's like, .25 ct for the AVC, vs .50 or .70 ct for the antique cushion, I'd go with the actual antique, since especially in that size range it's a HUGE difference.

While I can't compare my AVC to an antique cushion, I can compare it to an OEC, and to a slightly smaller OMC. So hopefully this will help! I have a 1.50 ct AVC and a 1.22 ct OEC of the exact same face up size- the OEC is a particularly well cut one, selected by Adam at OWD. Honestly the performance is pretty comparable. The OEC has more regular sized virtual faceting, large chunks. The AVC has some much smaller facets around the edge, and then the extra-large maltese cross center facets. So you get fewer flashes of fire, but really BIG ones when the cross facets fire on the AVC.

The AVC looks surprisingly good even dirty. But then so does the OEC.

I'll compare the AVC to the .90 ct OMC in an earring later and get back to you.

That's basically the difference I'm looking at. In an AVC I could get a .25-.30 range right now. I could do around .50-.75 in a regular antique cushion. Thank you so much for that comparison. I have worked with Adam before for a small OEC and he did a great job. Let me know how the AVC measures up to the OMC. Thank you again!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1315594978|3013789 said:
I am hoping this doesn't come off as rude. AVCs are gorgeous but at 0.25 ct you are not really going to be able to get the full benefit of it. With that said, GOG does have an upgrade policy but I am not sure if it is applicable at that size but would guess AVCs are all covered.

NO! Not rude at all. I was hoping someone would be able to advise me on an AVC that small. I can't even imagine I would be able to see the faceting. I can barely in my .47 OEC. Perhaps I should just save up for that 2 carat stone that I've been searching for...lol. Thanks for your input!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I'd go the OMC route, just because at that size, frequent upgrades will mean frequent setting changes, and given the costs of metals today, OUCH. I'd vote otherwise if you were talking about getting a low-color stone and upgrading through the alphabet at roughly the same size. Don't suppose that might be an option? Some of the really low color AVCs can be surprisingly reasonably priced ....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results